Gravy's Cooking Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Sautéing onions is Step #1 in...oh...every single fucking thing I cook. Chili, Indian dishes, Lebanese food, tomato sauce, breakfast scrambles, anything I pressure cook, Mexican dishes, savory jams.

I agree raw onions are awful in texture. I hate onions on pizza. But when cooking? A fucking necessity. I question all the respect I once had for chaos chaos . I lost it for Noodle long ago so that doesn't bother me. But my commander let me down on this night. And now his watch has ended.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Actually even weirder. Toss a raw red onion In a salad and I like both the taste and texture.

I cannot explain this. This is not a supertaster thing.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're better off blaming it on supertaster. The explanation for liking raw red onion is all down hill from there.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I like raw red onion. Shit even when I eat at our local all you can eat indian places, I always sprinkle some raw red onion on that shit, they usually have a big ole plate of it on the side along with other garnishes.

Burgers? Hell yeah, red onion on that pls. It has a kind of spicy yet sweet flavor that I like.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Every child hates onions. I have never understood why. Onions are great, raw, cooked, whatever. And an absolutely essential part of cooking. Cooking without onions is like cooking without salt. Or butter.

If my kids know something has onions in it they're all "ewww onions make me some without onions". If they dont know there are onions in it theyre all "this is great, you should make this more often"

Its like some built in psychological fear of onions, I dont get it. Its not the taste or texture, its like the word itself triggers revulsion.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you want to take a sloppy joe to the next level, put pickles on it and sprinkle diced raw onions on it. Ditto for a hot dog. Red are the best but white ones work too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't explain why I like raw onions but not cooked. I even like the taste of cooked onions. What IS WRONG WITH ME!

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sautéing onions is Step #1 in...oh...every single fucking thing I cook. Chili, Indian dishes, Lebanese food, tomato sauce, breakfast scrambles, anything I pressure cook, Mexican dishes, savory jams.

I agree raw onions are awful in texture. I hate onions on pizza. But when cooking? A fucking necessity. I question all the respect I once had for chaos chaos . I lost it for Noodle long ago so that doesn't bother me. But my commander let me down on this night. And now his watch has ended.
I'm pretty sure I could "aversion therapy" my way out of it, I just don't care enough to. My kids are in the asshole stage where they won't eat anything anyway. One of those bitches told me the other day they don't like goldfish crackers, now they're just doing it to piss me off.

But yeah, I've gotten around it by subbing garlic for onions for the most part and it has worked for me. Never had anyone notice or ask about it.

To continue the theme of "i am secretly Noodleface's twin" if you throw chopped red onions on a salad I won't care, tastes sweet to me.

• 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you want to take a sloppy joe to the next level, put pickles on it and sprinkle diced raw onions on it. Ditto for a hot dog. Red are the best but white ones work too.

I just made sloppy joes, and I made a side dish of lightly sauteed red cabbage with ham. Putting the two together was god tier.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My friend's dad grew up in Iran. Where it is apparently common to eat onions like an apple. I saw the man eat a sweet onion like that once. I tried it and couldn't do it. It was just really overwhelming flavor.

And I really really like raw onion lol.

But you can imagine my relative shock when I saw this guy crack a beer and bite right into a raw onion. I thought he was trying to fuck with me.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I would occasionally eat onions like an apple when I was a kid. I grew up working in restaurants and would usually eat one when I had to peel a bag.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I used magic and turned beef that shouldn't be used for cooking into delicious beef jerky.

IMG_20200120_083602.jpg

IMG_20200120_191403.jpg

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fuckin love my nesco. Haven't made any jerky in a minute, needto get on that. I've done beef several times and salmon once, it was good but too expensive to do regularly i think. Tried chicken, don't try that, it doesn't work. Never tried pork, after the chicken fiasco I was nottoo keep onthat.

Also did some veggies.Broccoli works pretty well, I've wanted to go back and try cauliflower and some other stuff.

• 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Nice! I've been meaning to do a round (in the oven) since I have the vacuum sealer now. I assume you used eye round?

I've never tried chicken, what went wrong? Maybe you have to cure it first like fish?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so yea, for gyudon, it really heavily depends on getting a good ribeye to shave thinly, really need that fat for the juices.

i also made a thick roux for it to soak and marinate in, cooked it in that, and then made daishi soup and did a final dunk in that.

now i'm thinking about what to do with this deli slicer, and i guess i can now buy that huge hunk of ham, huh?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Made some ribs in the pressure cooker this weekend. I looked up a youtube of it and the dude did 2 racks, in a whole can of frozen apple juice concentrate plus the water (thawed of course). I did full 3 racks dry rubbed a few hours before, .45 min then 15 min natural release, then release full.

Like holy shit they were good. Straight from the pressure cooker they were so tender the meat was hard to pull from the pot, next time I will probably do 30-35 min since I think 45 was overkill. But they had a nice subtle apple flavor.

Then I set them in an oven on a sheet with sauce at 400F for like 15 min. The entire batch was gone within minutes when my beasts came to eat.

Now I usually do the whole 3 2 1 ribs in my oven in the winter, but this of course cut down the time and honestly were just as good if not better.

Again I would cut down the time a bit since I still like my ribs to have a bit more texture, but whatever, they were fucking good.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
time to get serious about pizza, i've been seeing if the ooni3 would ever get to $200, it never has until today (it was actually unrealistic) but it has so i snatched one up Ooni 3 Outdoor Pizza Oven, Pizza Maker, Portable Oven, Outdoor Cooking, Award Winning Pizza Oven

i haven't made pizza in a while, i'm pretty sure it's cuz i wasn't able to get my oven blistering hot, i don't have a pellet grill so i ordered pellets and another peel (metal), since it gets up to 900f, i'll have to turn the pizzas every min.