Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This packaging
20200129_210706.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20200131_230038.jpg

so this is like the 7th pie this week, using neopolitan recipe, it looks better, taste, i'll see.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Super Bowl brisket.

14 lb whole prime brisket from Sams. Didn't trim the point quite enough, but it was delicious. The bark didn't turn out, though. I don't think I'll wrap it next time.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

• 5Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bark is overrated IMO. It's nice but when I haven't wrapped it the thin part of the flat is pretty much inedible.

I made one for our superbowl party too. I have had so many things from my smoker screw me over and wind up being 2 hours from done when it's time to eat that I was determined to not let that happen again and I overcompensated big time. It was only a 6 lb flat and I put it in at 11 PM. Got up at 3:30 and it was already up to 170 so I wrapped it and when I woke up at 8:00 the fucker was done. Put it in a blanket in my cooler and hoped for the best and at 6PM it was still at an internal temp of 121 degrees F. Sliced it and it was actually as good as any brisket I've made. I'd heard you could hold that stuff a long time but I really didn't have much faith that 10 hours was going to work. Seemed to be fine though. I know for restaurants you're supposed to reheat it if it drops below 145, but my family is of strong stock and not litigious so I figured it would be fine.

From now on I'm always going to shoot for at least 3 hours before dinnertime when I do a long cook.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i prepped a lot of dough for superbowl yesterday, this whole setup is mobile and i was able to transport it to another house easily., the bag converts to a carry handle and you can snap off the chimney easily. i chose this cart cuz it folds up like a chair

20200203_093945.jpg

i had forgotten to bring my torch, and the dude didn't have any type of torch... don't worry i remember'd my boyscout firestarter days and asked if anyone has hand sanitizer, thats like gelly alcohol and burns enough to start the wood pellets.

i had 20 dough balls, cool thing is it wasn't even expensive cuz it's just dough/salt/yeast/water (i chose to use the neopolitan recipe)i was churning out pizzas in like 2mins, got a good amount of exp working with the oven.

the guy had shitty knives, another trick i did was to use the bottom of a ceramic mug as a whetstone and i finished it off with my belt.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're asian, right? How much do we have to shame you before you start taking better pictures?

• 2Worf
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff
i had 20 dough balls, cool thing is it wasn't even expensive cuz it's just dough/salt/yeast/water (i chose to use the neopolitan recipe)i was churning out pizzas in like 2mins, got a good amount of exp working with the oven.

Being crazy cheap was the reason I even started making bread in the first place, the becoming obsessed with it came later.

How is the recovery time on the oven? Can you just shovel them in one after the other or do you need to slap the door on in between? Did you use the recipe I gave you or another one you found online?

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Being crazy cheap was the reason I even started making bread in the first place, the becoming obsessed with it came later.

How is the recovery time on the oven? Can you just shovel them in one after the other or do you need to slap the door on in between? Did you use the recipe I gave you or another one you found online?
i found one for king arthurs, since thats the only one i could get in bulk that week, it was 11% protein on the package, i couldn't find the blue? for 13%, will it thin out better for higher protein?

once the oven started roaring to 600+, it'd be around 850f to 900f during cooking and i kept the hopper full (have to wait till it's 600+ or it chokes out the oven)

once i slapped it in the oven (sometimes it stuck a bit, even with semolina on the bottom, i use a wooden peel for prep and i just use the metal peel to push it in like a spatula, i found trying to "shake" it loose onto the stone results in sloppy pizza)

once it in, i put the cover on for the initial minute to let it recover, by then the bottom became crusty and you can even see steam coming off of it(sometimes i'd keep the cover off, so ppl can see it steam off), i can then rotate it 1/4 every 20s to prevent the burn, (cover off).

i didn't test this with toppings b/c i don't do toppings and even tho ppl wanted toppings i said fuck you, you get margherita pizza or you can go back inside take a plate of chips and salsa. (ppl were waiting in line)

once the pizza was out after 2mins if i had the next pizza ready to go (as i stretched out) i'd dump it in, if i didn't have it ready, then i'd put the cover back on but honestly the cover seems only useful to get the oven to temp, doesn't seem all that useful for recovery/keeping temp.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
i just press autofocus on the phone and thats what you get, blame the koreans then (lg stylo4)
Do Koreans have a word for seppuku? I think you bring great shame upon your family.

• 1Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Only spices that should be on that meat is salt or whatever you could infuse via brining. Everything else is going to burn in the process of creating a proper crust.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is this meme real? Do you mainland white folks not know your seasoning?

1580782165531.jpg

1580782266621.jpg

Think it depends on where you grew up. Straight up rural, farm, or trailer park types use salt and pepper, they’re mostly broke and grew up broke. One girl I work with angrily argues with people that salt and pepper is the only two things that should ever be used for cooking. Suburb/large towns/city, they use spices like the rest of the civilized world.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Think it depends on where you grew up. Straight up rural, farm, or trailer park types use salt and pepper, they’re mostly broke and grew up broke. One girl I work with angrily argues with people that salt and pepper is the only two things that should ever be used for cooking. Suburb/large towns/city, they use spices like the rest of the civilized world.

You can work a lot of magic with Lawry's Green and Red salts, I still dont understand Miracle Whip tho.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Hey, a good stake only needs salt (maybe some pepper if you want to be risque) , you can spice the shit out of chicken all you want but leave the steak alone . It is best served naked.

• 1Solidarity