Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hey, a good stake only needs salt (maybe some pepper if you want to be risque) , you can spice the shit out of chicken all you want but leave the steak alone . It is best served naked.

You trailer park origin or farm? Theres no judgement here.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
You trailer park origin or farm? Theres no judgement here.
You could say a farm. My uncle had the biggest butcher shop in town so that was a bonus. If its a good steak why are you trying to cover up the flavor? You only do that with inferior cuts that are better off in a goulash. The funny bit is that i used to marinate steak too until i learned better and started to enjoy the flavor of the meat cut itself.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You could say a farm. My uncle had the biggest butcher shop in town so that was a bonus. If its a good steak why are you trying to cover up the flavor? You only do that with inferior cuts that are better off in a goulash. The funny bit is that i used to marinate steak too until i learned better and started to enjoy the flavor of the meat cut itself.

I’m just fucking with you. Steak is a different animal when it comes to spices. I spice but I learned it over time. Trailer park trash/farm/rural myself, I just known poors aren’t known for spicing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If your intention is to char it, which chicken breast usually needs since it's pretty bland, put the spices on after cooking.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you're in for a shun knife, be on the lookout for them this week, shun premier they're almost 50% off, but they go quick, so far the nakiri/chef and santoku have been out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea, so i just had dinner with a guy who used to be on the line and moved to maintenance from tyson, i always suspected their animals were just weird (and i felt funny cooking the meat), and he confirmed it, so imo avoid it dudes.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
He confirmed that they had weird animals? WTF does that mean? Tyson slaughters and processes like 20% of the meat in the US but I don't think they actually raise any animals themselves.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He confirmed that they had weird animals? WTF does that mean? Tyson slaughters and processes like 20% of the meat in the US but I don't think they actually raise any animals themselves.
one of things he said was he was on two different plants the larger animals was fine, but the plant that dealt with chickens was a whole nother horror show, he doesn't go into detail b/c he says too many ppl get mad at him for making factory farming bad and they themselves find it difficult to eat chickens.

i'll see him at another party in a few weeks and ask i guess.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Poultry processing has always been a messy process. I knew a guy who drove a roach coach who couldn't eat chicken any more because the workers came out pretty nasty. Even the USDA inspectors got pretty messy and they don't have to do anything outside of being an authoritative asshole.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Could be an issue with a co-packer, especially if its only out of stock in your general area

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
1/2 gal Welch's
1 can Welch's concentrate
20 chopped raisins
red star white yeast (its all I had on hand) or D47 yeast is good
Ferment in 1 gal jug, just put a airlock on it.

This can be scaled up to 5 gal easy. You can use concentrate, mix white and red, whatever. The raisins add tannins and yeast nutrient.

It started out at 1.108 and fermented out to 14.5abv in 21 days. At this point it tasted just like any $10 bottle of table wine. But I back sweetened with 1/2 cup of concentrate and it is great! Age 6mos for better taste.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Salt & Pepper only on a perfect cut of steak is the correct method, IMO.
Now, if you must have more I go with two sprigs of rosemary, fresh garlic clove and butter. Sear and baste until proper.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
IMG_20200211_182451.jpg

Lamb leg. Sous vide at 131f and seared on cast iron.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 7 users