Gravy's Cooking Thread

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
When I was a kid I used to eat steaks with ketchup. Had no idea how you couldn't. Was off at college the first time I had a steak that wasn't well done to the point of being a piece of charcoal, and realized a genuinely good steak needs no toppings. Turns out, my parents having grown up extremely poor just made everything so well done it was barely edible, and thus...it all needed ketchup.

Cast Iron, high heat sears are superior for both steak and burgers. Grill marks can't beat that crust a good cast iron flat top creates.
believe it or not, a nicely frozen usda grade patty placed under a broiler for about 7 minutes is perfect medium rare after carryover cooking and nice crust.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
After seeing how you heathens cook steak, I hope Biden wins
You can get a good crust on the grill, just need the right tools. Picked up a Slow-n-Sear for my Weber kettle, and have been more than happy with the results. Mesquite lump charcoal and a bit of fruit wood. I'll sous vide sometimes for thicker cuts and things like Tri-tip, but it's easy to get a good steak with their cold grate method. High temp sear with all the flavor from charcoal / wood. Haven't done cast iron since I got one. Plus they're made by a group of guys out of TX. Low and slow has been nice on it, too.

wwFQ11Ew.jpeg
JyXSI3jQ.jpeg
3XKUhqQg.jpeg
uG1LFH3w.jpeg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
nah man. the ultimate is the steak where you just slap it on the hot coals and let it burn for a few seconds. never had it but it looks fucking good.
20150701STEAK-slide-9OT1-superJumbo.jpg
Hard 8 BBQ in Texas. Cooks the Ribeyes right over the pit.

1602269095403.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can get a good crust on the grill, just need the right tools. Picked up a Slow-n-Sear for my Weber kettle, and have been more than happy with the results. Mesquite lump charcoal and a bit of fruit wood. I'll sous vide sometimes for thicker cuts and things like Tri-tip, but it's easy to get a good steak with their cold grate method. High temp sear with all the flavor from charcoal / wood. Haven't done cast iron since I got one. Plus they're made by a group of guys out of TX. Low and slow has been nice on it, too.

View attachment 308951View attachment 308945 View attachment 308947View attachment 308948
The fuck? Don't you know how to rest meat before you slice it?

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The fuck? Don't you know how to rest meat before you slice it?
Of course. At least 5-10 mins loosely tented in foil. I can't help it if my steaks are still juicier than fuck. I tend to dry brine them at least for an hour if not overnight, or maybe it's because I try to buy quality meat. Those particular steaks may have been cut prematurely because we were hungry and boozing. I really don't give a shit though, they were tasty.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Of course. At least 5-10 mins loosely tented in foil. I can't help it if my steaks are still juicier than fuck. I tend to dry brine them at least for an hour if not overnight, or maybe it's because I try to buy quality meat. Those particular steaks may have been cut prematurely because we were hungry and boozing. I really don't give a shit though, they were tasty.
thats why you sous vide, you can skip that faggot ass meat resting bullshit and just start eating it after you give it a quick sear

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
thats why you sous vide, you can skip that faggot ass meat resting bullshit and just start eating it after you give it a quick sear
I do sous vide and in the original post I stated as much. I find that sometimes dependent upon the the cut and length it's in the bath that sometimes it fucks with the texture. I don't notice it as much, but my woman does.

I honestly enjoy reverse searing with the Slow-n-Sear. I can get a lot of good flavor, and pull stuff to rest for an hour while I finish off my side dishes. Then get those coals fired up, and finish with a good seer

I do enjoy my Anova, though, and break her out when the times right.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Loosely tented in foil? Probably on a flat board too not a rack.

Y'all make me sick.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I do sous vide and in the original post I stated as much. I find that sometimes dependent upon the the cut and length it's in the bath that sometimes it fucks with the texture. I don't notice it as much, but my woman does.

I honestly enjoy reverse searing with the Slow-n-Sear. I can get a lot of good flavor, and pull stuff to rest for an hour while I finish off my side dishes. Then get those coals fired up, and finish with a good seer

I do enjoy my Anova, though, and break her out when the times right.
it's time vs. cuts. vs muscle fiber

when i did carnivore and i literally just had my sous vide plugged in and i was just dropping meats in, i played a lot with times, the temp was always set at 128f, so imo it was really about times and cuts of meat.

like i could drop in a chuck for 12hrs and it'd be fine, but if i did that to a rib eye, it'd be mush.

so if i wanted to share a steak w/ wife at dinner, i'd drop a ribeye for 3hours or i could pull out the chuck that was going on for 8+ hours.

• 1Like

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Okay ya fucking newbs.

If you are looking for a good sear on your steak with a nice crust... Resting will ruin your crust but you have to do it. So the point is to do it the right amount. Putting it in foil only ruins that effect faster.

A rack is preferable for resting because it lets air flow over all parts of your meat making sure that it properly rests or the bottom of your steak is gonna get wrecked by all the pooled up moisture under it. Having a rack on a sheet tray also helps you reclaim any extra juices and you can use it on a sauce or pour it over the meat. This becomes extra essential when you do large amounts of food.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Okay ya fucking newbs.

If you are looking for a good sear on your steak with a nice crust... Resting will ruin your crust but you have to do it. So the point is to do it the right amount. Putting it in foil only ruins that effect faster.

A rack is preferable for resting because it lets air flow over all parts of your meat making sure that it properly rests or the bottom of your steak is gonna get wrecked by all the pooled up moisture under it. Having a rack on a sheet tray also helps you reclaim any extra juices and you can use it on a sauce or pour it over the meat. This becomes extra essential when you do large amounts of food.
That totally makes sense, and I appreciate the professional knowledge you brought to the conversation.

However, my steaks tasted great and everyone else enjoyed them. If I'm correct I think you're a chef or work at a restaurant. I don't work in the food industry. I may loosely tent my meat with foil while resting, and the crust still manages to be tasty. I'm not serving 50 covers, just a meal for myself and my woman, and occasionally a couple of guests.

I'll probably try resting them on a rack next time. There's always room for improvement. But at the end of the day, if people are scarfing their steaks down at the table with a smile on their face, I feel it's mission accomplished. After all, you aren't paying for my meal.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That totally makes sense, and I appreciate the professional knowledge you brought to the conversation.

However, my steaks tasted great and everyone else enjoyed them. If I'm correct I think you're a chef or work at a restaurant. I don't work in the food industry. I may loosely tent my meat with foil while resting, and the crust still manages to be tasty. I'm not serving 50 covers, just a meal for myself and my woman, and occasionally a couple of guests.

I'll probably try resting them on a rack next time. There's always room for improvement. But at the end of the day, if people are scarfing their steaks down at the table with a smile on their face, I feel it's mission accomplished. After all, you aren't paying for my meal.

Same culinary school as bobby flay.

• 1Like