Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Birria tacos are in the oven, it already smells so good.

Also, Hard 8 is very overrated and very inconsistent. When you get it on a good day it's phenomenal, we take a lot of out of town customers to that location for the atmosphere.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
all this steak talk, from last night

20201011_182652.jpg

look at this monstronsity, barely fits in my cambro

20201011_202346.jpg

steak for two

• 2Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Did "Japanese" Surf'nTurf yesterday. Wagyu Tri-tip from HEB I found on sale. Was cut into 2-3" thick logs. Was worried about it being broken down, but the sections looked like I could manage slices against the grain still. Marbling looked fantastic, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Ginger rice and veggies. Turned out wonderful. Buttery and tender (reminds me of good skirt steak flavor wise), and the simple marinade I whipped up didnt overpower the meat. Got just enough of salty / sweetness, and spritzed a squeeze of lime just to waken things up.

IMG_20201011_194427026_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20201011_194736637_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20201011_195517332_HDR~2.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
spice storage, i don't want to store my spices in my lazy susan no more, and no countertop

so i tried the magnetic spice on fridge
80d14ed8dffcd55eb18cbb0a51fae133.jpg

these magnets are "ok" but i don't trust em

so i'm gonna get me so neodym mags
ece7139701839339b7a06d6687e9e1d6.png

and epoxy them to these airtight glassses
301515e55f112a15163594833dee2af6.png

anyone else got any suggestions?

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
spice storage, i don't want to store my spices in my lazy susan no more, and no countertop

so i tried the magnetic spice on fridge
80d14ed8dffcd55eb18cbb0a51fae133.jpg

these magnets are "ok" but i don't trust em

so i'm gonna get me so neodym mags
ece7139701839339b7a06d6687e9e1d6.png

and epoxy them to these airtight glassses
301515e55f112a15163594833dee2af6.png

anyone else got any suggestions?
Glass jars with spices hanging off the side of your fridge by cheap chinese magnets? Make sure you elmer's glue them on real good and I don't see any issues. I wouldn't even bother trying to roughly estimate the coefficient of friction failure point, as good ideas live on wings.

Why not spend the literal same amount to get the ones built to that purpose. If you are a madman with one spice in particular, you can just have a special container for it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Glass jars with spices hanging off the side of your fridge by cheap chinese magnets? Make sure you elmer's glue them on real good and I don't see any issues. I wouldn't even bother trying to roughly estimate the coefficient of friction failure point, as good ideas live on wings.

Why not spend the literal same amount to get the ones built to that purpose. If you are a madman with one spice in particular, you can just have a special container for it.
cuz no one makes it w/ high quality neo magnets, otherwise, i would have purchased

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I did something similar, but used tins without windows. Glass is fine if they are in a cabinet, but you don't want your spices exposed to light, so use a dark colored glass if you are going in that direction.

I bought the magnets from Buy strong magnets online - supermagnete.de. You can get whatever you need and the information section provides all the info you need to calculate the holding forces (depending on direction) properly. I also made a magnetic pot holder that was strong enough to hold all of my cast iron using that site. It worked great.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I use the fridge magnets and haven't had any problems. The twisty lids get a little gunky after a while but they're really easy to clean.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I did that spice thing with small magnetic canisters with a glass lid, but I did it as part of my backsplash. On the side of a fridge sounds terrible, too high traffic, I'm betting they get knocked off frequently. On the backsplash they never get knocked off.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so yea, the glass containers are awesome, i'll be buying another 16 pack of neo mags soon, they are fucking hulk smash strong, so far the epoxy seems to work well, i'm gonna let it set for 1 day b4 i fuck around (even tho it says 5minutes)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that epoxy is plenty strong to hold up a spice jar. Should work just fine.

Pro tip:. If you have old computers laying around, there are neodymium magnets in both the hard drive and the cd rom drive. I realize that you can just buy them for cheap but I like taking stuff apart.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think that epoxy is plenty strong to hold up a spice jar. Should work just fine.

Pro tip:. If you have old computers laying around, there are neodymium magnets in both the hard drive and the cd rom drive. I realize that you can just buy them for cheap but I like taking stuff apart.
oh yea, i've taken them out too, but they're like wierdly shaped, but i do have em on my fridge, cuz they hold paper good, and for a while i was using the platters are nerdy drink coasters, but they so slippery, practically useless.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gonna go bet me a bernzomatic ts8000 soon, my propane igniter is getting wonky, and has even caught on fire... , so i'll be using this to light up the wood pellets in my ooni pizza oven.

best deal is homedepot for 50bucks w/ a map canister.

i'm sure i'll play around with it for searing as well.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love mine, although I mostly use it to light the trash burning barrel.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I made an awesome salad last night, and I think some of you might like it.

Roast corn on the cob on the barbeque for about seven minutes. Get some colour on it, then cut it off the cob. mix with arugula and spinach, cherry tomatoes (cut in half), red bell pepper diced, red onion diced, squeezed lemon over it, and salt and pepper. That's it. Pretty simple if you already have the grill going. Very delicious. Also colourful, so a good accent to the Thanksgiving table.

• 2Like