Gravy's Cooking Thread

Denaut

Trump's Staff
What do you mean? Like the time it takes to do the vacuum sealing?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Suction vac sealers need special bags with channels built into them to pull a vacuum via suction. They make money off the "printer ink" model where they sell that machines pretty cheap but then charge quite a bit for the bags.

The bags used for chamber sealers are simpler and a commodity, therefore they are quite a bit cheaper. Quick Google pulled up a case of 1000 chamber bags for $55 (5.5 cents a bag), whereas some Foodsaver bags on amazon cost $30 for 90 ( 33 cents a bag). You can probably find better prices, but that is likely in the ballpark.

If you use a vac sealer enough to make up the difference in money within a reasonable time frame than it makes sense to get the chamebr version not only because it is cheaper to run but because you use it often enough for the other benefits to be worth it as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why would you buy bags for a foodsaver? Buy rolls and cut them and use the sealer to create bags from them.

100 feet of vacuum sealer bag rolls

Unless you're sealing huge chunks of meet that is close to 100 bags for 20 bucks and in actuality you usually dont need a full 1 foot bag so it's more than that. Still not nearly as good as 1000 for 55 though. I gotta look into those because it looks like they would still work for a foodsaver unless they can't be sealed properly?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Why would you buy bags for a foodsaver? Buy rolls and cut them and use the sealer to create bags from them.

100 feet of vacuum sealer bag rolls

Unless you're sealing huge chunks of meet that is close to 100 bags for 20 bucks and in actuality you usually dont need a full 1 foot bag so it's more than that. Still not nearly as good as 1000 for 55 though. I gotta look into those because it looks like they would still work for a foodsaver unless they can't be sealed properly?

The price you gave for the generic roll is comparable to the bags I gave (which I used bags to make the comparison simpler). 100 bags for 20 bucks is still 20 cents per "bag". It is all the same material and you can cut it up however you like.

Khane

Well, 90 1 foot bags for 30 bucks isn't even close to as good as 100 ft of make them whatever size you want for 20. It's not.

However, the 1000 for $55 is obviously way, way better.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Suction vac sealers need special bags with channels built into them to pull a vacuum via suction. They make money off the "printer ink" model where they sell that machines pretty cheap but then charge quite a bit for the bags.

The bags used for chamber sealers are simpler and a commodity, therefore they are quite a bit cheaper. Quick Google pulled up a case of 1000 chamber bags for $55 (5.5 cents a bag), whereas some Foodsaver bags on amazon cost $30 for 90 ( 33 cents a bag). You can probably find better prices, but that is likely in the ballpark.

If you use a vac sealer enough to make up the difference in money within a reasonable time frame than it makes sense to get the chamebr version not only because it is cheaper to run but because you use it often enough for the other benefits to be worth it as well.

Yeah that makes more sense.

Is there a decent moderately priced chamber one?... I thought I found a 400$ one the other night, but that site ranges from 700+, the one I linked earlier was 700 etc

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Is there a decent moderately priced chamber one?... I thought I found a 400$ one the other night, but that site ranges from 700+, the one I linked earlier was 700 etc

Youre best bet is to craigslist it up for a used market one. Restaurants are always going under and liquidate things.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Did some breaded pork chops the other night. Nothing fancy, kind of a riff on my great grandma's recipe for breaded veal. Just simple mashed taters, steamed veggies, and white mushroom gravy to top it off.

Haven't made the recipe in years and forgot how much I enjoyed it. Pork chops were ridiculously juicy. Didn't grab a picture, but once I make the gravy, dump it into a big Pyrex dish, and nestled the chops in with the top half exposed. Tossing in the oven and then pull out when the gravy's bubbling. Still get a crunchy crust on top, but the quick braise in the gravy really keeps them moist (even with leftovers).

tb18zdSg.jpeg
ycjubpnw.jpeg
9QdJaptg.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Did some breaded pork chops the other night. Nothing fancy, kind of a riff on my great grandma's recipe for breaded veal. Just simple mashed taters, steamed veggies, and white mushroom gravy to top it off.

Haven't made the recipe in years and forgot how much I enjoyed it. Pork chops were ridiculously juicy. Didn't grab a picture, but once I make the gravy, dump it into a big Pyrex dish, and nestled the chops in with the top half exposed. Tossing in the oven and then pull out when the gravy's bubbling. Still get a crunchy crust on top, but the quick braise in the gravy really keeps them moist (even with leftovers).

View attachment 313603View attachment 313604View attachment 313606
I was wondering how you'd keep the chops warm/moist if you're making the gravy in the same pan but that's pretty smart. I wish I could get my family to eat something like that.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

why do you want to spend 400$ for a vac sealer and pair it up with a $60 anova sous vide?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 313603View attachment 313604View attachment 313606
grandmas recipe didn't involve beating that meat?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
grandmas recipe didn't involve beating that meat?
It did if you were doing boneless loin chops. I was just pulling stuff out of the freezer, and had some nice 1.5-in thick bone-in chops at my disposal. I've made the recipe before with pounded out meat where it's more like a schnitzel, problem is you run the risk of it drying out. These thick chops were far superior than any other version I've ever made.

Khane

I am not entirely sure how you are missing the point so badly.

Im not entirely sure how you are so bad at math. And I agreed, the bags you linked, way better deal.

Go burn a pizza.

• 1Worf

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It did if you were doing boneless loin chops. I was just pulling stuff out of the freezer, and had some nice 1.5-in thick bone-in chops at my disposal. I've made the recipe before with pounded out meat where it's more like a schnitzel, problem is you run the risk of it drying out. These thick chops were far superior than any other version I've ever made.
post out the recipe :p mostly looking for gravy recipe(s).

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Im not entirely sure how you are so bad at math. And I agreed, the bags you linked, way better deal.

That is ironic. You finding cheap generic external bags (that I literally said existed in my first post) that still cost ~4x as much as chamber bags in no way changes my point about doing the math to see if it is worth buying one or not, it just pushes the "worth it" horizon out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Peanut butter and banana is good together but if you add some honey it takes it to another level.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users