Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I did the flaxseed oil last time and it put a finish on my carbon steel pan like I've never seen before, like I could almost see myself in it. Unfortunately I left it on a hot burner not long after that and burned it off and I haven't bothered to redo it but it was very pretty for a while.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I did the flaxseed oil last time and it put a finish on my carbon steel pan like I've never seen before, like I could almost see myself in it. Unfortunately I left it on a hot burner not long after that and burned it off and I haven't bothered to redo it but it was very pretty for a while.
i have flaxseed oil coming in soon, i heard it stinks to season

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Its a good thing I dont have room in my kitchen for more pans otherwise I'd probably buy one of these Carbon Steel skillets even though I really do not need it

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
late 90s, my neighbors still have it, so i didn't bother, i only tested out removing the closet portion and it was more than i want to handle.
Ok, no asbestos then. That stuff is no joke, so if it had been 10-20 years older you might have wanted it tested. Have fun with your ceiling rack! Don't let Ossoi know you have a rack in your house or you will have to spray the place to keep him at bay.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Its a good thing I dont have room in my kitchen for more pans otherwise I'd probably buy one of these Carbon Steel skillets even though I really do not need it

That's why I haven't bothered to reseason mine. I didn't dislike it but I didn't really see any advantage vs. the many cast iron pans I have. I thought it would be nice to have a pan that's a bit lighter for tossing vegetables and whatnot but it's really still pretty heavy at least compared to an aluminum non-stick or even a wok.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
That's why I haven't bothered to reseason mine. I didn't dislike it but I didn't really see any advantage vs. the many cast iron pans I have. I thought it would be nice to have a pan that's a bit lighter for tossing vegetables and whatnot but it's really still pretty heavy at least compared to an aluminum non-stick or even a wok.
for my specific kitchen it's been better to have the thick boys cuz they don't warp cuz i have a glass stove top. i mean up until a few months ago when i went exclusively castiron/carbon steel and i still had the non stick around, i had to replace the nonstick not b/c it didn't stick but b/c it warped and that pan was spinning like crazy around the stove, annoying and dangerous. this is also why for the carbons i got, i went with 3mm cuz i heard that even 2mm will warp.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

20210325_194258.jpg

Did mine over many hours and a few extra things but absolutely yummy! I make this every few months but his video made me think to make it again.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Deli containers are the best fridge storage imo

View attachment 344485
i use the takeout containers for soups
d572802ebe826e2b27afa452dfb49413.png

i've been thinking about upgrading to at least a screw a lid, but the same shape.

or just move over to the rubbermaid line
b6ae020b5379622b66a90b023425c30c.png

i've used these for a few years and have had the smaller cups for small lunches, they don't stain are nearly indestructable

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I second those rubbermaids, I ended up getting them due to how resilient they are.
theyre also amazing for reheating, b/c the clasps has a hole for venting, so you can just put the container in the microwave and just unclasp both handles but leave the lid so it can vent and not go explodey

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
theyre also amazing for reheating, b/c the clasps has a hole for venting, so you can just put the container in the microwave and just unclasp both handles but leave the lid so it can vent and not go explodey

I did not know this, now I will have to try it.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
wow these work amazing
4c39321f3662c4a896fc377eb14d98fa.png

i've been using, just this flat piece of chainmail, that is worthless at cleaning
132d25111c62ead49592cf652d785ce6.png

you can't hold and you end up bunching it up into a ball

the chainmail with silicone inserts are so much better, you can hold it like a sponge, but you get that "flex" and squeeze, i much prefer this than chainmail wrapped around a regular porous sponge b/c theres no need to soak up water, you just have to put your pan on the sink and run water for like 5seconds, it's a quick scrub.

but now that they have good leverage i'll use em to redo the seasonings

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been using this for a lot of stuff that isnt wings. Do recommend.

1616922717399.png

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Give me your smoothie recipes. I'm looking to add pomegranate and blueberries to my diet along with protein, but would rather deal with juice/smoothies over having to keep getting fresh fruit.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
first batch of japanese souffle pancakes

20210328_143624.jpg

i could be fluffier, i used a hand mixer rather than a kitchen aid, probably would just do that next time to get a fluffier merengie

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Can we get that recipe?
Japanese Souffle Pancake 2 Egg Yolks (from eggs that weigh 58-60 gr. each with shell) 20 gr. Full Milk / Whole Milk 10 gr. Vegetable Oil 1/4 tsp. Vanilla Essence 30 gr. All purpose Flour 3

merengie
Egg Whites (from eggs that weigh 58-60 gr. each with shell) 1 tsp. White Vinegar 40 gr. Fine Sugar

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i used a 3in mold for it

58fcdce4811a63ef15ef50785ba72b60.png

i'm not too happy with that, i saw another way was to use a big chonky ice cream scooper, i think i'll try that

and i guess in cooking land, an ice cream scooper is called a disher
a071bce2e87d3a2fd25441581ff6f34b.png

Last edited: