Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Made my first attempt at making oyakodon tonight. Didn’t turn out horribly like most of my first attempts do. Not the prettiest looking thing but pretty tasty. Thinking I should maybe try having the chicken in strips instead of small pieces next time and maybe it’ll look nicer.

View attachment 406382
imo try thin slices like you would w/ gyudon, if youre not used to slicing chicken breast (some ppl use thighs for flavor still) thinly like for katsu, then do a 30min freeze then slice thing for better presentation and more surface area

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
imo try thin slices like you would w/ gyudon, if youre not used to slicing chicken breast (some ppl use thighs for flavor still) thinly like for katsu, then do a 30min freeze then slice thing for better presentation and more surface area

Yeah, my knife skills are non-existent, so I'll probably try to look up a tutorial or something before the next time I do this. I did hear the thighs are better on the flavor for this, but breasts was what I had around. Husband gave me the thumbs up to make it again, so I'll give it another go next week.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, my knife skills are non-existent, so I'll probably try to look up a tutorial or something before the next time I do this. I did hear the thighs are better on the flavor for this, but breasts was what I had around. Husband gave me the thumbs up to make it again, so I'll give it another go next week.
chicken thighs will be more flavorful, in all asian cuisine we boil chicken breast for soup stock.

thighs are harder to work w/ obviously b/c of the bone, idk what the asian way is called on how we deal w/ the bone, the french way is just called "french a chicken thigh" i guess?

i think this shows a more asian way where it's half cutting and half pulling the meat off

anyway, you want to debone the chicken thigh bone cuz you want a nice flat piece of meat to cut w/

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whole chickens are much cheaper.

oddly enough, the last several times I was in Winco, Leg/thigh quarters were cheaper than whole birds, like .93/lb vs 1.03/lb. So not much but fuck, I'll gladly pay less to get more dark meat.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Leg and thigh quarters or even individual sections have been cheaper than whole birds here for a long time. White suburban New Englanders hate dark meat.

Even funnier is that cooked rotisserie chickens at most stores, and especially club stores like Costco around here are only marginally more expensive than uncooked whole birds. Loss leaders and all that.

Americans are wasteful and stupid. I hope people dont catch on to how delicious oxtail is, though it's getting very hard to find since covid

• 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Smoked a pork belly on the pellet smoker yesterday. That turned out amazing. Only takes a couple hours to do too.

Do recommend.

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Smoked a pork belly on the pellet smoker yesterday. That turned out amazing. Only takes a couple hours to do too.

Do recommend.
I'd really like to pick one up but I want to try and find one with the skin still on it. I want my cracklins. I'm assuming you just did a traditional barbecue rub. Did you glaze it with anything?

I got a couple of Boston butts in the freezer. Going to pull one out this next week and prep porchetta for Easter. I haven't made one in a while and I'm really craving it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
bought a picnic ham
20220407_170217.jpg

no idea what to do, just took it out the package, put on some left over rub, put it at 250 and spritz w/ aj for a few hours and then tinfoil wrapped and finished in the oven now. (this was yesterday, just got it out now)

carved it up, skin looks nice and crispy, meat almost falls off the bone, maybe i got 275 next time, gonna make some char siu dipping sauce i guess, this ham gonna take on a lot of fusion flavors

• 3Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'd really like to pick one up but I want to try and find one with the skin still on it. I want my cracklins. I'm assuming you just did a traditional barbecue rub. Did you glaze it with anything?

I got a couple of Boston butts in the freezer. Going to pull one out this next week and prep porchetta for Easter. I haven't made one in a while and I'm really craving it.
Go to a Mexican market with a butcher. They'll have skin on belly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i found the video i was after and timestamped

just listen to the way the skin sounds when they cut into it

• 2Quality Calories
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
...... I hope white people dont catch on to how delicious oxtail is...
FTFY. Asian people know what's up.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
FTFY. Asian people know what's up.

it's actually more expensive to buy oxtail in asian grocer (by almost twice)than it is to find it in a publix/kroger

13.99/lb asian grocer

7.99 at kroger, tho usually it's rare so i have to goto walmart

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
it's actually more expensive to buy oxtail in asian grocer (by almost twice)than it is to find it in a publix/kroger

13.99/lb asian grocer

7.99 at kroger, tho usually it's rare so i have to goto walmart
My mother in law is usually the one to make it, or we'll have it when out at a restaurant. From what I recall there isn't a ton of difference in price between our closest Costco and the Korean markets nearby, mainly depends on who's running a sale.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My mother in law is usually the one to make it, or we'll have it when out at a restaurant. From what I recall there isn't a ton of difference in price between our closest Costco and the Korean markets nearby, mainly depends on who's running a sale.
yea i usually buy em out when a sale when it's been out too long

the american markets are vac pac'd so, whatever
73aeba8f025012385aa500a780992c32.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
In other meat news - I cooked up a few lamb chops last month roughly following this recipe. Lamb Chops Sizzled with Garlic

I over cooked them a little, but it came out really nice. No complaints from the 5 and 3 year old.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We bought a panini press this last month. I thought it was a dumb thing but damn it only cost $40 and its amazing.

Do recommend having one. My wife and the kids love it.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Even funnier is that cooked rotisserie chickens at most stores, and especially club stores like Costco around here are only marginally more expensive than uncooked whole birds. Loss leaders and all that.

I heard a podcast about this and it turns out that the rotisserie chickens are a different breed of chicken than the frozen ones and usually weigh only 2-3 lbs where the frozen birds are usually around 5. Pretty sneaky.

• 1Like