Gravy's Cooking Thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That's a lot of money to spend on the 2-3 knives you'll actually use and 15 more that'll just sit and gather dust.

Buy a cheap ass set that has multiple blade shapes, so you can work out which ones you like, then spend the money on good quality versions of those.

View attachment 442440

When I moved out, I used my block o'knives till I picked up a light weight asian cleaver (balance was wonderful) which I 80% used till I got a 12in chefs (loved the larger but not as large blade shape, but ultimately 12 inches is too damn long most times), which I used till I got a 5 inch and 7 inch Santoku's (they just do everything and yet that standoff is there so you're not beating your knuckles into the board or having to only work on the edge of it). These days the only reason I touch other knives than the last 2 are never good. I'm being lazy or doing stupid things I don't want to use my good knives on.
The "cheap" henkels are still quality knives. And I use every knife in the block pretty regularly except the breadknife.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Victoronix are great bang for your buck knives. They're the commercial wing of swiss army

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Victoronix are great bang for your buck knives. They're the commercial wing of swiss army
1668190516322.png

Used every day for over a decade and still work excellent. This is after abusing them for the first five years before understanding how to use a steel correctly and keep them honed. The only thing that sucks about the set is the scissors. They are too stiff and not sharp enough.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea, me personally i only like to buy em in singly piecemeal, i've bought the same tojiro dp 3x for mom and 2 friends, they still keep an edge w/ the abuse they give it

its cheaper at chefknivestogo than amazon

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Also a fan of Victorinox. Fibrox specifically. It's what my mom used for decades in commercial kitchens. Some things just work fine at reasonable prices and don't need to pay a premium.

I think my kitchen scissors (Henkels maybe) cost more than my Victorinox chef knife. Because it was needed to pay more a better product.

Mercer bread knife I think, because despite being cheap as hell, it's great.

Victorinox Fibrox are hard to beat for actual function (which I don't begrudge a statement/status set of knives, just Fibrox set isn't that, but work).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
That's a lot of money to spend on the 2-3 knives you'll actually use and 15 more that'll just sit and gather dust.
If cost is a concern, this, absolutely.

For me its a Chefs knife, whats labeled "Petite Chef" in that image. I pretty much only use that for anything. Everything else is specialty purpose - bread knife, boning knives, etc.

I'd be content with a good Chefs knife and whatever random crap for the other knives that get used rarely.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
turkey coupons are already out, so far i'm see .50c at kroger, i'm obviously not gonna buy the turkey this far out, well maybe next week sounds good 3days to thaw, 2 days to brine
720a2495b13f5acd061f7fc407ba4949.png

has anyone bought costco turkey? my wife forced me to get a membership, so might as well see.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
turkey coupons are already out, so far i'm see .50c at kroger, i'm obviously not gonna buy the turkey this far out, well maybe next week sounds good 3days to thaw, 2 days to brine

has anyone bought costco turkey? my wife forced me to get a membership, so might as well see.
Buy a local turkey they taste 1000% better.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
yea, me personally i only like to buy em in singly piecemeal, i've bought the same tojiro dp 3x for mom and 2 friends, they still keep an edge w/ the abuse they give it

its cheaper at chefknivestogo than amazon
Are you talking about this one?

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 1.33.32 AM.png

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

BJs offering a free turkey if you spend x and you come back and get the bird week before Thanksgiving.