Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
also i have no idea why or how this is even profitable, but amazon has lump charcoal for like less than a 1$ a pound
Cheap lump charcoal is very inconsistent in size, the cheapest stuff is WILDLY inconsistent. Like you'll have some pieces so big you have to split them once or twice with a hatchet before you can use them, then there will also be tons of tiny little bits in the bag too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Cheap lump charcoal is very inconsistent in size, the cheapest stuff is WILDLY inconsistent. Like you'll have some pieces so big you have to split them once or twice with a hatchet before you can use them, then there will also be tons of tiny little bits in the bag too.
HEB was selling some Mexican brand for a while. I bought a few bags of it over the course of maybe a half a year, and the quality was great and they were nice big chunks in there, but then one bag or two would have just little turd pieces. Can't remember the name but I had a cowboy or something on it. I don't even think they sell it any longer. For what I was paying it was worth it but it was a role of a dice on whether or not you were going to get the best bang for your buck out of a full 25 lb bag or whatever.

Burned all right and I think it was mesquite-based, but the better brands definitely have more consistency with what they throw into the bag. B&B is always been consistent though.

I've also never had to split pieces of lump charcoal, just have a big enough smoker. If you got to split your charcoal, well....

Khane

Got something right about marriage
2lb chuck roast seared and then slow cooked for 6 hours. Just salt and pepper. Leftover rice dumped into the jus to soak it up. Remove the extra fatty pieces of the chuck and sear them off to get that nice crisp fat.

Dress it up however you like after the fact. Its so good.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I stopped buying lump charcoal after I saw a video where they asked everyone at some high end BBQ competition what they used for charcoal and they all said they just buy whatever brand of briquette is cheapest at the hardware store. Having all the pieces be the same size is pretty convenient.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I stopped buying lump charcoal after I saw a video where they asked everyone at some high end BBQ competition what they used for charcoal and they all said they just buy whatever brand of briquette is cheapest at the hardware store. Having all the pieces be the same size is pretty convenient.

same with pellets, I get mine at cosco or pit boss at lowes, the cheapest of the cheap

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
went to academy and found a bag (i guess it was in the back)

also found out how pussy tn is, a nice old man started a convo w/ about grilling, then we moved onto smoking and then i said

"idk if i'm gonna grill today, it's snowing, i pulled in and a few snowflakes hit me"

he said

"what snow? betsie!!!, we gotta git on home b4 the roads freeze!"

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
went to academy and found a bag (i guess it was in the back)

also found out how pussy tn is, a nice old man started a convo w/ about grilling, then we moved onto smoking and then i said

"idk if i'm gonna grill today, it's snowing, i pulled in and a few snowflakes hit me"

he said

"what snow? betsie!!!, we gotta git on home b4 the roads freeze!"
How much was it? I think I paid maybe 25 bucks or something but I just don't remember. I guess if you had to chop it in the smaller pieces also you could probably just use a sawzall.

Now that I think about it the next time I go to use it in the slow n sear, I might chop it a little bit to where it's more manageable but it might burn quicker at that point.

Let me know how it works out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How much was it? I think I paid maybe 25 bucks or something but I just don't remember. I guess if you had to chop it in the smaller pieces also you could probably just use a sawzall.

Now that I think about it the next time I go to use it in the slow n sear, I might chop it a little bit to where it's more manageable but it might burn quicker at that point.

Let me know how it works out.
its 17bucks for 30lbs for the competition

they had regular 30lbs of lump oak on sale for 15 too

i've seen ppl use a legit hammer to crack some lumps in half cuz log on log don't break

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
its 17bucks for 30lbs for the competition

they had regular 30lbs of lump oak on sale for 15 too

i've seen ppl use a legit hammer to crack some lumps in half cuz log on log don't break
Maybe I did pay less for. I know academies consistent with their pricing other than when they decide to run sales on things and liquidate inventory. If I'm ever traveling around for work I'll typically stop in during lunch or something if I find one, and you can find shoes fishing gear grilling stuff or whatever on deep discounts if they're just having to move stuff that's been sitting on the shelves too long.

I think my last really good score was a nice pair of $150 waders and flat boots that were $80, and walked out with both for 50 or 60 bucks. It's completely Hit or Miss though based on the store and how much volume of customers they get.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I am tired of Taco Bell. I go there for my daughter who loves their bean burrito. I am sick of the shitty service and the cost going up too much. Anybody know a good site that goes over how to make their bean burritos from scratch? I would like a video if possible as my cooking skills lack(Something else I am looking to change).

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, I am tired of Taco Bell. I go there for my daughter who loves their bean burrito. I am sick of the shitty service and the cost going up too much. Anybody know a good site that goes over how to make their bean burritos from scratch? I would like a video if possible as my cooking skills lack(Something else I am looking to change).
Just go to youtube and plug in how to make taco bell bean burritos. You will probably get a kajillion videos walking you through it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if she really likes taco bell vs. other texmex shit then it's probably the taco bell seasoning
dda80e8a409abb2387e547d92f3e0621.png

its a dollar a packet at the store, amazon will be cheaper, they don't have big jugs

you can try the other seasonings, old elpaso, mccormick, but it just doesn't taste as good,

you can also buy refried beans in a can, so it's really just building the burrito
4ba9cc387c902604535e9103d7cd01a0.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea, the only thing you really need to learn is how to fold the burrito I guess.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
actually i think pharmakos pharmakos did a taco stint, maybe he can give you more tips

• 1Quality Calories

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I will give that a try. I think I might can even make the sauce. If not for my daughter loving the bean burritos so much I would not bother. Its a once a week thing we do on Sundays and have for the last 13 years. The service and cost have gotten to be an issue to the point that I want to just give it go and see if I can replicate them close enough.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I once sat for a whole layover in the Phoenix airport in a Mexican restaurant where the kitchen was open and watched these two ladies roll burritos. It's kind of mesmerizing. I can roll a burrito, but I know I will never be close to as good as those two were. Bean burritos are harder than most just because the insides want to come shooting out.

• 1Like