Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think a lot of us in this thread had similar experiences with food growing up.

How many people here had a "Wait... what?" moment later in life with a goddamn pork chop?

Nice thick cut pork chops cooked and seasoned just right...mmmmm Better have some applesauce on the side!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my mom tenderized and it had a nice crust, just pan seared
56d8f0c43b17e1c3e056b69d6ac96689.png

my dad would use the spine side of the knife to tenderize, i do too, it's easier to clean up (bits of pork get stuck in the mallet), but i do have a mallet, i think i did a few chops for a party once and thats when the mallet is easier

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Anyone who tells you they "don't like to cook" are either closet serial killers or wealthy self absorbed douche bags. A combination of both is also possible.

Most gen x and younger white women I know either say they don't like to cook or profess a love for cooking but do everything in an instant pot (meaning they obviously hate to cook). And they're uppity as hell about it when men like me are better cooks and more passionate about it. It's kinda sad, really. But I mean they all wish they were wealthy, but can't all be serial killers. Don't like to cook is becoming the norm with normies.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Rather hard dried out pork chops than Thurs night liver and onions. Every. Fucking. Thursday.
We never had liver and onions growing up, think it was due to my mom not liking it, so it was never on the menu. I think I've only ever had it once in my life at a greasy spoon diner just to try it. It wasn't bad but I haven't ever had it again.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That sort of thing can backfire too though. My brother was super impressed with his friend's kid who would eat literally anything and he was determined to do the same thing with his kid and even read up about having him taste all kinds of food while he's a baby which they did. Despite their best efforts his kid refuses to try almost anything and when he was younger he would throw up on his dinner plate if you forced him to take a bite. I'll tell you watching a small child blow chunks next to you while you're eating dinner is a good way to ruin your meal as well. He's 6 now and he's a little better but there's still super basic things like eggs and mashed potatoes that he just refuses to eat and if you want him to try something new you have a fight on your hands and he's pretty much guaranteed to say it's disgusting when he does try it. He's not really oppositional and defiant about other things but when it comes to food he's very determined. I had always assumed that kids like that were just the product of indulgent parents who let them live on macaroni and cheese and hot dogs but apparently it has to do with the kid as well.
is this restaurant food the kid refuses to eat or his cooked food?

maybe your brother sucks at cooking

i cooked for 2 kids on thxgiving, basic breakfast sausage and eggs. mom said they don't like eggs, i said they'll like my eggs, she said they only eat scambled eggs, i hate scrambled but made em anyway.

they gobbled the eggs up

secret was cooking it in sausage grease, kids don't need to care about cholesterol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We never had liver and onions growing up, think it was due to my mom not liking it, so it was never on the menu. I think I've only ever had it once in my life at a greasy spoon diner just to try it. It wasn't bad but I haven't ever had it again.
It was terribad. A it was liver and B it was overcooked shoe leather. Fuck I still have flashbacks.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't grow up with overcooked meat thankfully but I did grow up eating vegetables out of cans. I ate very little pork growing up because our beef and chicken was "free" so buying pork seemed extravagant. Funny thing is I actually liked liver and onions growing up, but I tried it recently for the first time in years and could barely choke it down. Best use for liver is dog treats.

My brother is like a lot of us here, disciple of Alton Brown and Kenji Lopez-Alt etc. so no his cooking doesn't suck. His wife cooks very little like a lot of millennial women.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
His wife cooks very little like a lot of millennial women.

I think we're finally getting some clues into why your nephew is being parented into being a spaz (at best).

I love that you think the parenting is juuuust fine and the kid is just like that, instead of there being some very obvious red flags.

The millennial wife cooks very little... No biggie, sometimes wife's are just like that and have little interest in something as basic as providing sustanance (and indirectly love) for their families.

The kid is just like that. The wife is just like that. Let me guess, they've got a poorly behaved dog that also just happens to be a certain way and there's nothing to be done about it and it's totally normal because dogs are just like that.

And please understand I'm not just doing some boozecube troll job on you trying to get your goat. I'm honestly perplexed at it and your seeming belief it's totally normal. It's like the "this is fine" meme in real time.

• 1EyeRoll

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think we're finally getting some clues into why your nephew is being parented into being a spaz (at best).

I love that you think the parenting is juuuust fine and the kid is just like that, instead of there being some very obvious red flags.

The millennial wife cooks very little... No biggie, sometimes wife's are just like that and have little interest in something as basic as providing sustanance (and indirectly love) for their families.

The kid is just like that. The wife is just like that. Let me guess, they've got a poorly behaved dog that also just happens to be a certain way and there's nothing to be done about it and it's totally normal because dogs are just like that.

And please understand I'm not just doing some boozecube troll job on you trying to get your goat. I'm honestly perplexed at it and your seeming belief it's totally normal. It's like the "this is fine" meme in real time.
i mean, i remember there was a time i hated chinese food, (particuarly fish, still to this day) yea i know right?

i'm pretty sure it has to do w/ my mom taking me to the gambling dens to play mahjong. (it's not really a gambling den, more like chinatown ymca w/ nothing but mahjong, why she didn't leave me home alone? i have no fucking idea, i wasn't 2, i was 10) now she'd play all day and at night they would bust out chinese dinner and always would have steamed chinese flounder, this was the most poignant smell, i probably associated that smell w/ my hatred of this gambling den and it lead to revulsion.

it took years for me to get over this, mainly b/c i'd visit home and my dad would make it and i'd just shove it down my throat. (note i haven't eaten it since my dad died and never will again) it is ironic that i make the same dish for my wife every month, cuz she loves steamed fish, i just won't eat it.

• 2Like

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
It was terribad. A it was liver and B it was overcooked shoe leather. Fuck I still have flashbacks.
Liver and onions can be good, but it needs to be fresh liver, rinsed so many times that the water is clear (all blood out of liver), then sliced thin and not overcooked. The person making it really has to know what they're doing or you end up eating rubber that tastes like iron.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I don’t like cooking, but I still do it. Nothing fancy and I’m certainly not good at it, but husband seems to be happy and gobbles most of the shit I make down, so can’t be that bad I guess? Yesterday, made some cheesy potato soup that we have a few days worth of leftovers of. Some diced Yukon golds, onion, chicken broth, cream and some bacon, and some ground beef because he always wants ground beef. Topped with some crushed up taco shells I had around and some Hawaiian rolls for dipping. Tasty shit. I just wish cooking and cleaning up didn’t take so long. I got other shit I want to do.

• 3Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

I'm sorry my dude, but that's a crap take on this. My wife loathes cooking, but she'll do it if she has to. I love cooking, and I do almost all of it. My wife likes cleaning up afterward, so she does most of it. It's all about a family drawing good lines of who does what, but with flexibility to support each other. You can't say that because a woman doesn't cook she doesn't love her family.

On another note relevant in this thread right now the best thing to do with liver is to make pate. However, liver cooked well can be amazing. One of the restaurants I worked in had a liver dish, and it was delicious. But yeah, I have nightmares about the rubber liver and onions my mom used to cook.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

I'm definitely not engaging with this nonsense, in the cooking thread of all places, but on the off chance that you're actually sincere, let me just say....

Go fuck yourself you fucking weirdo.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm sorry my dude, but that's a crap take on this. My wife loathes cooking, but she'll do it if she has to. I love cooking, and I do almost all of it. My wife likes cleaning up afterward, so she does most of it. It's all about a family drawing good lines of who does what, but with flexibility to support each other. You can't say that because a woman doesn't cook she doesn't love her family.

Feel free to look back at the overall context of the situation I'm commenting on. Have thoughts on the overall situation, not just a single point you're responding to?

And sorry, women who loathe cooking have a deficiency. Doesn't mean that alone is necessarily a critical issue, but it's a red flag. And of course a family figuring out what works for them is important, the problem I'm boggling at is a food/meal related family situation with a lot of reported dysfunction and red flags and the attitude it was presented with as just being perfectly normal.

And I didn't say because a woman doesn't cook she doesn't love her family, I was saying it's a red flag and not normal for a woman to have little interest in something as fundamental and nurturing as providing meals for her family.

• 1EyeRoll

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm definitely not engaging with this nonsense, in the cooking thread of all places, but on the off chance that you're actually sincere, let me just say....

Go fuck yourself you fucking weirdo.

Not engaging in my repeated questions and requests to clarify whatever points you think you're making, because this isn't the right forum to discuss food/meal related issues that are being discussed, but then also you are actually going to engage after all with a childish outburst of personal attacks.

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
But yeah, I have nightmares about the rubber liver and onions my mom used to cook.
how many of you white ppl grew up eating horrible mom liver w/ onions?

honestly this is the first time i heard about liver and onions... like mac & cheese?

did all of your moms just watch the same horrible julia child episode?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
how many of you white ppl grew up eating horrible mom liver w/ onions?

honestly this is the first time i heard about liver and onions... like mac & cheese?

did all of your moms just watch the same horrible julia child episode?

Mac and cheese was very common, both for poor kids getting boxed stuff and real homemade stuff its ubiquitous. Liver and onions is very old fashioned and not at all common. My mom even liked liver and onions and I only remember even seeing it once as a kid and she wasn't making it at home but someone else in a large group we were with was ordering it. Every 80+ year old man I know loves the shit, though, which is how you know it's typically gross.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mac and cheese was very common, both for poor kids getting boxed stuff and real homemade stuff its ubiquitous. Liver and onions is very old fashioned and not at all common. My mom even liked liver and onions and I only remember even seeing it once as a kid and she wasn't making it at home but someone else in a large group we were with was ordering it. Every 80+ year old man I know loves the shit, though, which is how you know it's typically gross.
i mean like liver & onions go together like mac & cheese

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think the onions are just to make the flavor of the liver less noticeable.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL my mom made the shit. I actually liked liver and onions. It had to be calves liver and she soaked it in milk for hours before cooking it. It wasnt like a weekly thing or even monthly, but more like 2-3 times a year. She also made a great tripe soup for the holidays. Old fashioned Polish recipe passed down for generations. I still love the stuff. The house smelled like shit while she was boiling it, but was it worth it in the end. Gotta keep in mind it was Communist Poland we came from. Food was scarce so you cook what you could find.

• 2Like