Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea i noticed teflon (of any kind) really has a "working" life of 2 years or less

it's hypocritical of me to say, but i understand the need to have "less" in the kitchen.

i don't remember the last time i touched anyone of my stainless fry pans (i can always use the wok), but i do use the stainless pots and sauce pans.

recently the tagine has been a once/twice a month use

i had to cut out new kitchen shelf liner for a shelf i barely use to store it
d1d5d16f5b025629f625480b97109585.png

(it's cast iron, so i'm sure i'd marr the shelf soon or later) this tagine is a bitch to store, it's unweildy and it's tall and takes up a lot of "open air" space, but it has a purpose.
I use that same stuff in all my shelves. I hear you though, and I kind of got into the point where I have very specific cookware for different applications and I've gotten it down to just a handful of different things that I use all the time. I just use the wok for stir fry and shallow frying, because I don't have to use as much oil for that particular thing.

I've got a box out in the garage with a bunch of pots and pans that I just don't use anymore, and part of it is I just don't have the room in our little kitchen. My mom gave me all of her Le creuset cast iron that is older than I am, but I don't use any of it, but I'm not going to throw that stuff away. I think my great-grandmother gave it to her as a wedding gift, and when her my dad were married she added to the collection, that stuff's got sentimental value, but you can still make a great meal with it no sweat.

Have a big stainless steel set but I rarely use it any longer and I think we donated a good number of them to Goodwill other than some odds and ends, again keeping the stuff that I use for just specific things. Little saute pans or saucepan so don't take up much space or the only things we kept.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
1000003883.jpg

Have this ham steak I got from someone. last time I talked about doing it on the electric grill and best I figure this is really already cooked and I over did it. Debating if I can microwave at work, or we have a toaster oven.

Not sure what condiments to try, I have this honey hot bbq I think might be best pairing. it's kinda big to eat mustards with every bite

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 520941

Have this ham steak I got from someone. last time I talked about doing it on the electric grill and best I figure this is really already cooked and I over did it. Debating if I can microwave at work, or we have a toaster oven.

Not sure what condiments to try, I have this honey hot bbq I think might be best pairing. it's kinda big to eat mustards with every bite
Treat it like leftovers? Sandwiches, diced up with eggs in the morning, potato/ham/cheese/onion goes well with tons of stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, what mkopec mkopec said, use it as the pork fat for something like beans, red or black, served over rice. Just get your holy Trinity lined up but should be a cheap easy meal that'll taste great.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
was trying to eat it at work, but guess I'll do it at home where I can prep all the other stuff. I almost thought of heading it up in some bacon fat the last one ended up so dry.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Didn't make anything on St Patty's Day because I had made a big thing of dashi for ramen that we ate all week, but still picked up a couple of corned beef brisket chunks. Going to turn them into pastrami this evening, make colcannon and cabbage. Figure afterwards we can use some of the leftovers to make Reubens.

IMG_20240323_145845532_HDR~2.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't make anything on St Patty's Day because I had made a big thing of dashi for ramen that we ate all week, but still picked up a couple of corned beef brisket chunks. Going to turn them into pastrami this evening, make colcannon and cabbage. Figure afterwards we can use some of the leftovers to make Reubens.

View attachment 521167
I do the same thing when the corned beef goes on sale

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Great channel I just found for indian food from Britain. This guy takes you through all the stuff to make the shit great at home and easy to follow instructions. Even the prep cooking. He even takes you into the restaurant to show you how they make the shit there. Its pretty amazing insights into indian cooking.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I do the same thing when the corned beef goes on sale
Turned out pretty, good, not the best I've made, but I think it was just a piece of corned beef I got. I searched for the fattiest point-type pieces, and no dice.

The colcannon was the best I've made, I think it's because I didn't necessarily blitz the aromatics super fine like I've done in the past, and used twice the amount of leeks and parsley. I think I'm probably going to blast my wife off into space because the cabbage was so good, if you catch my drift.

Looking forward to some Rubens in a day or two.

IMG_20240323_222633829_HDR~2.jpg

I didn't make this horseradish early enough, and it was pretty lackluster, but It matured enough for this evening, but still my not my best performance.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Turned out pretty, good, not the best I've made, but I think it was just a piece of corned beef I got. I searched for the fattiest point-type pieces, and no dice.

The colcannon was the best I've made, I think it's because I didn't necessarily blitz the aromatics super fine like I've done in the past, and used twice the amount of leeks and parsley. I think I'm probably going to blast my wife off into space because the cabbage was so good, if you catch my drift.

Looking forward to some Rubens in a day or two.

View attachment 521324

I didn't make this horseradish early enough, and it was pretty lackluster, but It matured enough for this evening, but still my not my best performance.
You're going to give her a Dutch oven?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Another post implying that theres some mystical quality about "good rice" that only Asians can detect.

But without even a basic description of what makes a difference.

Rice is rice. Give me at least a description of the difference you imagine you're detecting.

I'm reminded of the famous stories about Brits who claimed they could detect whether you put the milk or the tea in the cup first. For those not familiar, these stories are a staple of statistics classes. The punchline is that hell no they couldnt actually tell the difference, it was all in their imaginations.

After trying two or three different rice brands and grains I can for sure tell a difference. I only use the brand Sekka now as it comes out so good compared to anything else I've ever had.

1711373481034.png

Last edited:

Hekotat

Whats different about it? I'm not even talking shit here. Can you describe the difference?

I'll try to explain the best I can from a more sheltered experience.

Growing up in a small town I really only had access to Long grain or Indian styles of rice for a very long time. Once I realized I loved Asian food (We really didn't have any growing up and I didn't start trying it until my mid 20s). I kept attempting to get the same texture/flavor profile I'd have at a good Asian restaurant and I just couldn't figure it out (Stupid yes I know). I then dated a Chinese girl that blew my fucking mind with Sekka rice and a good soy sauce. It made all the difference in the world.

It's more sticky and the flavor profile is just different and less dry. Now this may not be for everyone but I love it and it's worth picking up a small bag just to see the difference. Also, pick up a solid soy sauce from an asian market and you're in for a treat. I can't even enjoy Kikkoman anymore after having this stuff.

1711380664392.png

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hekotat

For sure, I buy these huge beasts now:

I may have to do this, I've just been picking up small bottle every few months when I go to Dallas. I picked up like 2 10lb bags of rice though lol.

What do you guys use to store your rice in? I thought about getting like a paint bucket but unsure if that's a good idea or not.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I may have to do this, I've just been picking up small bottle every few months when I go to Dallas. I picked up like 2 10lb bags of rice though lol.

What do you guys use to store your rice in? I thought about getting like a paint bucket but unsure if that's a good idea or not.
food bucket is good

a "food safe" bucket is only 1$ more at home depot
daf9c012e3590d104ce16b842b56e7c3.png

if you wanted you can also go around restaurants and ask if they got buckets to spare since their ingredients would come in food safe buckets

i have this way too stupid rice dispenser, cuz asian
63151e3d881f211c69ccdabb2e6ea91a.png

(i could have just used buckets, my family did for years, and many asians i know do)

i use this for medium grain rice, either nishiki or calrose which ever is on sale

and i just use regular large containers for various bomba/basmati/arborio i have vac packed and jasmine i have in a bucket, i should get more uniform containers and organize it all in a "grain" section along w/ flour and stuff i guess. (i have a small pantry in the kitchen and i put a 5 shelf in the w&d, expanded pantry)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
food bucket is good

a "food safe" bucket is only 1$ more at home depot
daf9c012e3590d104ce16b842b56e7c3.png

if you wanted you can also go around restaurants and ask if they got buckets to spare since their ingredients would come in food safe buckets

i have this way too stupid rice dispenser, cuz asian
63151e3d881f211c69ccdabb2e6ea91a.png

(i could have just used buckets, my family did for years, and many asians i know do)

i use this for medium grain rice, either nishiki or calrose which ever is on sale

and i just use regular large containers for various bomba/basmati/arborio i have vac packed and jasmine i have in a bucket, i should get more uniform containers and organize it all in a "grain" section along w/ flour and stuff i guess. (i have a small pantry in the kitchen and i put a 5 shelf in the w&d, expanded pantry)

For the buckets, do you line them with anything, or just give it a wash, dry it out and just dump the rice in? Been thinking about getting one of those as well.