Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So I have a package of like 5 chicken breasts I need to cook up tonight. What do you guys suggest? I need something different.
Have you made the chicken chili in the first post on the thread? If not, I highly recommend it. Very easy and tasty.

I just made this recently using a bunch of poached chicken breasts:Chicken Taco Casserole Recipe | Kitchen Daily

Was really, really good. I usually tend to cook lighter/healthier, but that shit was tasty!

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
So I have a package of like 5 chicken breasts I need to cook up tonight. What do you guys suggest? I need something different.
~3 cups salsa
~4 tsp chili powder
~2 tsp honey
~2 tsp ground coriander
~1.5 tsp ground cumin
~1 cup of blanched corn
~2 tablespoons of lime juice
Salad stuff

Stir the salsa, chili, honey, coriander and cumin together. Remove enough to marinate the chicken for while.

Take the rest of the salsa mix and add the blanched corn and lime juice and keep it in the fridge.

Make a salad. Butterleaf lettuce kicks ass for this, throw on some sliced avocado, tomato, maybe some banana or green peppers, whatever.

Grill the chicken. Slice it up and serve it over the salad using the salsa mixture as the dressing.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Season the chicken well, fry it up, shred it, and use it for a dozen different things in the next few days. Sandwiches, chili, tacos, etc.

dolaan_sl

shitlord
If it were me I would do 2 things, I will assume since you said you have to cook them today that they are near exp date:

Throw them in a crock-pot with some stock, spices and some acid (vinegar) and then shred it like pulled pork. Chicken breast lacks fat so it will dry out, so I would attempt to fight that with butter, a couple strips of bacon, etc. This way you can use it for many different purposes. Grab a handful of shredded chicken some BBQ sauce and you have pulled chicken. Add to tortilla with a white, red or Mole sauce and cheese and you have enchiladas, also handful is great on salad.

Other option: Place piece of plastic wrap on your table and place a pounded (1/2 inch thick, it will be large) chicken breast on the wrap add any Italian cured meat or ham (thinly sliced) then add grated swiss cheese. Carefully roll into a cigar (will look like an egg roll) and then wrap in plastic wrap very tightly and twist the ends it will look kinda like tamales, place in freezer for 30 min. Preheat oven to 375. While in the freezer get 3 dishes one with flour, one with beat eggs and one with panko breadcrumbs (I also add garlic to the breadcrumbs). Heat an oven proof skillet with vegi oil and med high. After 30 min remove chicken, roll in flour and egg wash, then coat with breadcrumbs and brown chicken roll in skillet on every side then place in oven for 30 min. The nice thing here is you can leave the pre constructed rolls in the freezer and take then out when you want to eat them. I suppose you could even add the bread crumbs as well then rewrap it in plastic wrap and place in the freezer.

My 2 cp

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Other option: Place piece of plastic wrap on your table and place a pounded (1/2 inch thick, it will be large) chicken breast on the wrap add any Italian cured meat or ham (thinly sliced) then add grated swiss cheese. Carefully roll into a cigar (will look like an egg roll) and then wrap in plastic wrap very tightly and twist the ends it will look kinda like tamales, place in freezer for 30 min. Preheat oven to 375. While in the freezer get 3 dishes one with flour, one with beat eggs and one with panko breadcrumbs (I also add garlic to the breadcrumbs). Heat an oven proof skillet with vegi oil and med high. After 30 min remove chicken, roll in flour and egg wash, then coat with breadcrumbs and brown chicken roll in skillet on every side then place in oven for 30 min. The nice thing here is you can leave the pre constructed rolls in the freezer and take then out when you want to eat them. I suppose you could even add the bread crumbs as well then rewrap it in plastic wrap and place in the freezer.

My 2 cp
This sounds really good. I might just try this. I just want something different than the regular old shit we do with chicken breasts.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Oh man. That pounded chicken wrapped in prosciutto would be nice. I'm hungry as hell right now!

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
You know I like choked chicken, but I loooooooove to pound it even more!

Vitality

HUSTLE
Good advice up above about the Chicken cordon bleu esque dish.

Something a little more simple that I do is butterfly a chicken breast out and pound it a bit to get it even thickness, take some chopped brocoli, parmesean, grated mozzerella and a few choice herbs (fresh) basil/parsley etc. and make a bit of a stuffing with it. (add minced garlic if desired)

Stuff the chicken as much as you want, either hold it closed with toothpicks or tie it with twine.

Going to basically braise it. White wine/chicken stock as braising liquid. Sear it off then shove it in the oven at 350-400 depending on how much time you have.

The trick is liquid (or fat) as the above poster mentioned to moist chicken breast, I usually do a butter olive oil baste (add oil to the butter so it doesn't burn and turn brown *think scampi*) or use the stock/wine to baste. Typically spoon basting every so often. (Takes a bit of feel to know when to baste/add liquid).

I never like to cook chicken in a dry pan after it's been seared.

You know it's done when it temps ~155 or if the brocolli is more or less cooked.

Season to taste after it's done.

I'm no pro, so take my technique with a pinch of salt, xoxo.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
So bros, what's everyone cooking up for St Patrick's Day?

Looking to cook up something special, so tried-and-true recipes are appreciated.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I watched Gordon's UK shows, they were awesome. Tried a couple of the American ones but they weren't as good. The Amy's Baking Company show was hilarious though. A follow u p would have killed.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I love Ramsay. My fantasy is to have him watch my gf and I having sex and criticize and yell at me during it.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'd try that, but it wouldn't feel right beating down that asshole while I was naked and turgid. Puns or something.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yeah, I love Ramsay. My fantasy is to have him watch my gf and I having sex and criticize and yell at me during it.
We just record his shows, and string together all the times when he's yelling insults, and then hit playback while we're having sex. It's quite something.

I just made his roasted tomato soup for diner along with goat cheese sandwiches fried in olive oil.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Made some homemade pies today using the bread maker to make the dough. Good stuff. Made 3 pies with the dough I had. One for the kids with Italian sausage ham and pepperoni. Second is a spinach pie for the wife, and third was like the first but with onion mushroom and peppers added (not shown). The spinach pie was made by using Alfredo sauce as the pizza sauce, then the spinach pie filling and then topped with some fresh ground parmesan.

The spinach pie filling was made with..

diced onion
minced garlic
frozen spinach
dried dill
feta cheese
lemon

Saut? onion with garlic, add dill, cook a few min, then add the strained thawed spinach. When cooked through add the feta and cook a few more min. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice in and stir through.

Sorry for the shitty cell phone picts.

rrr_img_62735.jpg
rrr_img_62736.jpg
rrr_img_62737.jpg
rrr_img_62738.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
We just record his shows, and string together all the times when he's yelling insults, and then hit playback while we're having sex. It's quite something.

I just made his roasted tomato soup for diner along with goat cheese sandwiches fried in olive oil.
Dang, that sounds good.

Oh yeah, and the diner, too.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Since that thread has a loving for it i could share a quick gordon ramsay recipe for a quick spaghetti in a spinach and cream sauce for St. Patricks.