Gravy's Cooking Thread

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thread has too many recent comments without mention of sous vide. I bring you rib-eye @ 133?F for 90 minutes followed by blow torch action:
rrr_img_89161.jpg

rrr_img_89160.jpg

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rib-eye looks excellent. A little overcooked for me, but I'd definitely house that badboy.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I like quinoa, but it's so fucking expensive compared to rice. That alone makes me not use it much.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Looks awesome.

I'm thinking about making some Italian beef in the slow cooker this weekend, along with homemade giardiniera. I was looking at this recipe:Chicago Italian Beef (Pot Roast Style) Recipe : Jeff Mauro : Food Network

Any feedback on that recipe? Or better ones?
The seasoning is very good but its basically shredded beef. Get a meat slicer and do it right! But for a set it and forget it recipe it is very good. His Giardiniera is spot the fuck on and very good, just use veg oil instead of canola.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Does anyone have a meat slicer that's worth a fuck and doesn't cost $200+? I've had two, and they both bogged down slicing beef and ham. And I can never seem to get it thin enough.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is the one I have. It gets the job done and can get it as thin as you want. I've thinly sliced half frozed rib eyes with it for cheese steaks with no problem.

Amazon.com: EdgeCraft 610 Chef Kitchen
Do you have issues with meat tearing up since the blade is serrated? or do you think cuz it's serrated it gives you the power to go through the frozen stuffs? I don't think i could ever buy a deli slicer, that machine always freaked me out when i worked at a deli 20 years ago.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Do you have issues with meat tearing up since the blade is serrated? or do you think cuz it's serrated it gives you the power to go through the frozen stuffs? I don't think i could ever buy a deli slicer, that machine always freaked me out when i worked at a deli 20 years ago.
I didnt realize that one had a serrated blade. Mine isn't serrated and doesn't tear the meat up. It's not a professional one by any stretch. It is easy to clean and gets the job done. I make sure if I am throwing a party and making 20 lbs of Italian beef or cheese steak to take breaks so I don't burn the motor out. Usually on the cheaper products that is what burns up so I just play it safe.

I always use the guard so I don't kill myself. When you get down to the very end those last bits are very hard to slice so I just eat them for safety.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So quinoa is hipster bullshit.

We are at Panera the other day and they have some quinoa bowl/salad there. There was a cow in line in front of us with her kid both facing away from us. I asked the wife quite loudly if she had ever eaten that "kwi-no-ah stuff" and this lady snaps her head around to correct me and I look her dead in the eye and just say "I know how to pronounce it" before she can open her mouth. She says anyways "I was going to correct you because I think quinoa is important".

I wanted to continue to be an ass but the wife was beyond embarrassed. The whole interaction made my day though.

TL;DR fat hipster women eat quinoa, you should not.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I like it, I have a ton of it because my vegan neighbor moved and gave it to me and my wife doesn't like it. Faro, too. Good shit. For the money though? Yeah, rice erry day.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
No pics yet but I've got a request from a friend for a Baileys Irish Cream Cheesecake. Should be pretty good if you're into Baileys.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Quinoa is the highest protein grain so hippies think it's going to save the planet when we all stop eating meat and live on a diet of nothing but quinoa, kale, and self righteousness.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Quinoa is the highest protein grain so hippies think it's going to save the planet when we all stop eating meat and live on a diet of nothing but quinoa, kale, and self righteousness.
You just described the scariest possible scenario for future Earth in my mind. I could deal with a situation like in Terminator, or the Matrix, but fuck living in a world run by hippies, where quinoa and kale are the dominant foods.