Grills

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It has a little propane torch to light your coals for you? Never heard of that, that's kind of awesome.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Get one of these, coals are lit and ready to go in under 2 mins....

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html
I might do that but the matches really do work pretty easy.

I don't have any pictures up yet but we smoked two racks of pork ribs for just about 5 hours at a steady temp of 215-225 with 2 large apple wood chunks. These ribs came out perfectly. Beautiful smoke ring combined with the Bone sucking sauce rub (48 hours in the fridge) and I know I have never made ribs this good in my life. For the last hour (coals started to slowly lose temp) I put the barbecue sauce on them and wrapped them in foil. So damned good and juicy.

I am looking forward to my next smoke. Leaning towards a brisket, turkey or chicken.

Tips for anyone interested in using the smokenator:
1. Get the 1.5 inch binder clips. Controlling my temp was stupidly easy after I put these on
2. Maverick dual prob thermometer is perfect
3. If you can maintain an at grill temp of 225 (250 grill cover) then you can go about 1.5 hours before refilling your water
4. If you need to burn for more then 4 hours make sure you add more coals and wood no later then the 3 hour mark
5. Cleaning the ash out from under the smokenator with the one touch system of the weber is as easy as it gets but make sure to mark your bottom vent setting so you can set it back

ezcw_sl

shitlord
Anyone tried using one of those Himalayan salt slabs on the grill?

Attachment 32914

I've gotten mixed reviews from the people I've asked, but it looks pretty swanky so I ordered a 6x8" slab to play with. Apparently you have no way of knowing how long they are going to last, no matter how carefully you maintain them. Considering they are pricey there's a good chance I'll be kicking myself.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like a complicated way to salt whatever your grilling.

If only there was a way to grind that up.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I have a weber one touch silver and I love it. Make sure you get a charcoal starter it makes it a breeze.

rrr_img_32976.jpg

lurker

Vyemm Raider
What are those two little white thingies? I just use 2-3 sheets of newspaper.

Eric

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Parafin wax fire starters. I've never seen them used with a chimney starter thought. It's either one or the other. I use newspaper as well(thanks junk mail!), but I stagger it 2 sheets at a time, waiting for the previous ones to flame out before putting to more sheets in. I found doing that once will cut down the startup time by about 5 minutes.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any experience with this?http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1520-Pro...ne+grill+weber

The reviews are pretty positive, and it fits what I need almost perfectly, but there are a decent number of negative reviews as well. I mainly cook just for myself, and I have very little desire to get charcoal going for one or two steaks that I'm only going to have on the grill for a couple of minutes, let alone the cleanup, so I am pretty much addicted to propane. It needs to fit on an apartment balcony though so it can't be very big, and I don't need very big. This honestly seems just about perfect, and its a Weber, but I hesitate a little because it seems so much different than the typical Weber grills, and those negative reviews are fairly worrisome. And the thing has been out for over 10 years, which would lead me to believe that they'd have a newer model by now, but maybe not.

Anyone have a propane grill of around that size they'd whole-heartedly recommend?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Buddy of mine has one of these that he tailgates with, but also occasionally uses at home if he's just cooking a couple burgers or brats:

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...ropane%20Grill

The only downside I can ever tell, is that those tiny little propane tanks don't last long if you are doing a lot of grilling. The Coleman I linked above offers an adapter to attach a full sized propane tank. The little one always lasts him a full afternoon of tailgating, but he has to refill it between each weekend of use, they really don't last more than 2 or 3 hours total. If you're grilling several times a week you'll be running out pretty often.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Anyone have any experience with this?http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1520-Pro...ne+grill+weber

The reviews are pretty positive, and it fits what I need almost perfectly, but there are a decent number of negative reviews as well. I mainly cook just for myself, and I have very little desire to get charcoal going for one or two steaks that I'm only going to have on the grill for a couple of minutes, let alone the cleanup, so I am pretty much addicted to propane. It needs to fit on an apartment balcony though so it can't be very big, and I don't need very big. This honestly seems just about perfect, and its a Weber, but I hesitate a little because it seems so much different than the typical Weber grills, and those negative reviews are fairly worrisome. And the thing has been out for over 10 years, which would lead me to believe that they'd have a newer model by now, but maybe not.

Anyone have a propane grill of around that size they'd whole-heartedly recommend?
I have been taking one of these with me camping and camping with my folks for the past 15-20 years and it is still going strong. Simply wrap the grate with some foil and you will extend the life by several years. These things work great and it fits great anyway and travels well.

Don't fret and buy the thing, you will love it.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Parafin wax fire starters. I've never seen them used with a chimney starter thought. It's either one or the other. I use newspaper as well(thanks junk mail!), but I stagger it 2 sheets at a time, waiting for the previous ones to flame out before putting to more sheets in. I found doing that once will cut down the startup time by about 5 minutes.
I used these before I got my propane torch and they worked great. I would actually put the parafin down in the starter itself and then light them with charcoal in direct contact.

A little trick to get paper to burn longer, spray some Pam or put vegetable oil on the paper before putting it underneath, extends the burn time of your paper.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Get theWeber Q 120. I have one and I honestly don't fire up my big grill anymore unless we have like 5+ people. It was at my GFs apartment for awhile - it's so small she actually kept it in the closet on her balcony.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have been taking one of these with me camping and camping with my folks for the past 15-20 years and it is still going strong. Simply wrap the grate with some foil and you will extend the life by several years. These things work great and it fits great anyway and travels well.

Don't fret and buy the thing, you will love it.
Awesome, glad to hear it is as good as people say it is.

Get theWeber Q 120. I have one and I honestly don't fire up my big grill anymore unless we have like 5+ people. It was at my GFs apartment for awhile - it's so small she actually kept it in the closet on her balcony.
I looked at that one, and I really want it. The problem is, I could buy 3 of that other one for the same price.

Still, maybe I'll hold off for a little while and see if I can't justify getting the better one.

joeboo, I think I'd probably be ok with the smaller propane tanks, but it seems you can always buy adapters for pretty much anything if I feel I am going through them too fast.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just fyi, I get about 7-10 meals/grills out of the small coleman propane bottles. That's with about 5-10 minute preheat/clean (max gas) and 7-15 minute cook time (half-gas normally). On the Q the temps are super consistent so I never fuck with it.

I now use a 20lb bottle with the attachment so w/e I'm sure it will take forever to run out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorry to bump this. Looking to buy a propane grill for around $200-500.

Been looking at a few Kenmores. Also considering a Weber, but haven't found anything in that range that caught my eye. Any recommendations? I like that Weber that was posted way above for $379, but AFAIK the guy never said what model it was.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Weber's are nice. I also like Jenn-Air. Check Costco, they usually have a decent selection of quality grills in your price range. As far as features, if stored outdoors an all stainless model is nice. I also have an infrared searer on my grill and I love using it.

Also, for that price you could get an awesome sous-vide cooker.