Grim Dawn

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Blew the dust of my lvl ~30 sword and board death knight and have been having fun. Yes, exploration is a lot of fun in this game. Going to try to finish it on normal now, then I'll see about whether I try a new build or continue with the death knight.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Yes stats are a lot different now even than when I played it last - higher numbers across the board. I've been splitting Spirit and Physical since I need the energy and helps the damage, but I can see myself focusing maybe 2:1 or even 3:1 from here on out physical/spirit.

I noticed a lot more conversion mods on gear, but I am running an "elemental" build, so it matters not. I also noted seriously higher damage mods on gear, like seeing 70+% increased whatever on gear only level 40.

I can see non-standard resists being a requirement too, specifically Aetherial for that Homestead area in later difficulties.
yeah, you'll want to over cap all your resists.

Around 65+ you'll start noticing more build defining gear dropping. it becomes like PoE with items that could potentially have you start a new character to use that specific item. As it gives a skill which could be your primary attack.. The whispering ice style.
Or, you find items like this medal I got in Ashes.

This Completely redefines a PRM build. First, it procs weapon damage now. so it will leech, proc weapon attacks, etc. all of Iskandra's weapon damage effects added in.. Second, it totally swaps damage type. PRM starts with 100% elemental, then gets some added aether with distortion, then electrocute, crit damage, and % elemental with supercharged, then 50/50 elem and aether with proliferation..

So this medal swaps it almost entirely to aether. And with that, all your % elmental has no value. Starpact has no value. But, reckless power suddenly does, Fabric of reality suddenly does. esp with it dealing % weapon damage. Devastation now scales with it better.

To make use of that medal, I would need to change all my other gear, which is largely buffing elemental/cold damage. Change many of my passives, all my devotions, and even change my second class. Nightblade buffing cold.. thus have no value for this aether focus.

grim1.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
That would be a sweet medallion for my Warlock, although at lower levels I am still using the mace that provides crit and energy discount to the spell.

Of course, I am not paying attention at all to my gear bonuses yet, since a piece of gear usually lasts about 30 mins. Then again, I am not level 92.

I like the fact that that is a green piece of gear - that changes everything. Cool stuff.

I was Dad last night so I did not play, back at the grind tonight! I've been pulling a noob - calling the Arcanist an Alchemist. Whatta loser.

28,000 stat sheet dps. Noice. I imagine this is a lot like PoE where it doesn't mean a lot though. With two effects shooting shards out of mobs, DOTs, added auras, etc, I cannot imagine any sort of accurate dps measurement anywhere.

Caliane

yeah. thats just prm. doesnt include procs, etc. nor elemental pen. Also, PRM is basically just for trash. Devastation is most of my boss dps. (this was a skyshards/devastation build till last week, and I wanted to try PRM.) mostly the same, just swapping skyshards and prm. But, some gear shifts from pure cold to elemental.

Also, none of the perm buffs are active there. maivens, starpact, etc.
Also also, that spirit is almost entirely from gear, and arcanist passive, without even trying. She has like no more then 16 points actually invested in spirit attr.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I did the aether to chaos on a beam warlock. First char, was real sick.

Then I got the blood orb offhand legendary that converted all ele to chaos. Ulzuin's torch meteor proc on sigil of consumption :). Ended up as chaos/vit. Will play him again.

I have 3 80+ chars with a rifle commando on the way up now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
New giant patch is out. Adds the huge loot filter, adds life to cunning and spirit, tons of changes and buffs.

New mastery is on grimtools now as well for the theorycracters out there.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I made it into the 60s with a Warlock and then PoE new season came out. I hadn't played since January so it sucked me back in. It is not the best, so I may be back to finish my grind to the final difficulty soon.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really wish they would cut the middle difficulty, it’s just not necessary, especially once you have the expansion and I’m sure it’ll just get worse. It’s just a chore to chug through it three times to get to the farming aspect of the game.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Does crucible help with leveling at all? Or just gear? I'll probably just pick it up regardless.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I really wish they would cut the middle difficulty, it’s just not necessary, especially once you have the expansion and I’m sure it’ll just get worse. It’s just a chore to chug through it three times to get to the farming aspect of the game.
The logic is that some people don't want to play on the hardest difficulty because it's too hard for shitty builds, and this way they can stay on it and reach 99 anyway. They could probably tweak normal to do that with another expansion though. Or make the added difficulty a toggle kind of thing, basically the Veteran toggle but stronger.

Does crucible help with leveling at all? Or just gear? I'll probably just pick it up regardless.
You can use it to level but you still have to run through the story shit iirc. It does save you some constellation point things farming since you can buy some in the crucible. It's good for farming gear however.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

The best use for the crucible in regards to the main game is doing it very early to buy constellation points so you have a big headstart on them as you move into the main game.

The other good use is when you don’t feel like going through the main and just feel like killing waves of monsters and farming. It’s also good to test builds/kill speed for min maxer types. Some people prefer it to the main game, so it really just depends on how you want to play.

I’d wait until the expac releases in two weeks as they may put the old expansions on sale or a bundle type deal. Unless you don’t care about saving $10-$20 and want to just try it out.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The only thing I noticed about the "difficulty" was you needed to stack more resists. from what I remember. Gear and other shit made sure your dmg scaled as well.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The only thing I noticed about the "difficulty" was you needed to stack more resists. from what I remember. Gear and other shit made sure your dmg scaled as well.

Yep. Big resist penalties on harder difficulties. If you don’t have them maxed in ultimate you die really fast.

There’s other things like a few quests and mobs only happen on ultimate buy otherwise it’s just the same thing 3x.

I can’t wait for the shattered realm, I hope it’s random and different enough to keep it fresh.