Grim Dawn

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I never bought the last xpac. This one looks great. Was Falmouth worth $20?

I'm replaying some Malmouth right now on a Cabalist. Finding people my level here and there. I really like the game, and the unique IP.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
You'll need it for the new one at any rate. It was decent at least, and the new classes are pretty rad.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

Well I played this at release but never got past the first act of the second difficulty.

The more I see of these expansions, the more Titan Quest does Path of Exile it becomes. Which I am saying as a good thing. These guys never quite captured their experience with Titan Quest but perhaps they are getting closer.

I have been seeking a new ARPG to eat my time, and even playing Diablo 2 ladder off and on. Warhammer Inquisitor - Martyr is an especial disappointment as I am an infinite fan of the IP, but eternally disappointed with every game made in it. This one is no different. They have announced a Warhammer fantasy - Diablo 3 clone that has promise but is a ways out.

What I am saying is that I think I may fork over for the stuff I am missing, and start over in Grim Dawn this weekend.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I jumped back in the last few days. Apparently I never actually completed Ashes of malmouth. like, Right before the end. the fleshworks. but never entered it...
I had started a new character for the expansion, and got a little bored or distracted by the time I got there. I swapped back to my "main" to actually playthrough and finish Ashes( on Elite.)

Yeah, Grimdawn is def the 2nd best ARPG out atm. behind PoE. And, in many ways is a good alternate take. Swapping between the two is a huge breath of fresh air in many ways.

But, its also not perfect, and PoE has a number of things going for it, that are sorely missed.

Grimdawns character builds are pretty diverse... But, FUCK, playing through the whole game 3 times... Its not balanced well for that at all. Even d2, had a fair progression from normal, nightmare, and merc. And also was fairly quick.
But grimdawns actual quest system, and leveling, does not work well with that at all.
Like that alt I mentioned, for Ashes of malmouth. is level 61, in normal act 6. (at the boss as stated.)
My "main" is now level 91 having just killed the malmouth boss yesterday in elite.

The expac system I think I mentioned is outdated. They can't really add things to the base game, because it would fuck things up for people that didn't buy the expac.
So, thats a bit lame as well. they dont add new skills to old classes, add new quests, etc to old locations..

The whole one shot chests, secret locations, shrines, handmade maps, faction rep grinds, etc all are one shot deals lacking that unlimited replay.
Which is good for playing it once in a while, and not something you can just play constantly like a PoE.

But yes, base game, and Malmouth 100% worth. (crucible I am not a fan of.)

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Diablo 2 hell with double immune monsters was a nightmare, pun perhaps intended.

Same with ridiculous lightning enhanced mobs shredding max resist chars and chain teleporting mobs that made them heal. I bet most of that is fixed now but at the time wooooh.

This game is tight and I can't wait for endless dungeon. It better not be retarded like farming sulphite for delve.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I enjoyed the shit out of this game back like a year ago when I picked it up on sale.

• 1Like

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I tried to play GD last night after tons of PoE in the past 4 months....it felt so foreign.

Will still probably pick up this xpac though.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Diablo 2 hell with double immune monsters was a nightmare, pun perhaps intended.

Same with ridiculous lightning enhanced mobs shredding max resist chars and chain teleporting mobs that made them heal. I bet most of that is fixed now but at the time wooooh.

This game is tight and I can't wait for endless dungeon. It better not be retarded like farming sulphite for delve.

I was never a hard-core D2 player, I am pretty sure I barely dipped into Hell difficulty.

I recently made a ladder frozen orb/fireball sorceress and in Act 1 Hell she is fine but it is annoying that every other mob is cold immune (primary skill). Also I still don't have a decent weapon for my merc so he dies if I let a group of mobs beat on him for longer than 5 seconds. I have the runes for an Obedience, but keep finding 5 slot polearms instead of 4.

I quit PoE in early Jan because of Syndicate, and I am not sure I want to go back for next week's new release. A decent ARPG in progress will help that decision, so, again, it is a Grim Dawn weekend.

• 1Like

Caliane

dev live stream right now.

Interesting note already.
"there will be post expac patches. however, not likely any more paid DLC. we are working on a different game internally already,"

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

dev live stream right now.

Interesting note already.
"there will be post expac patches. however, not likely any more paid DLC. we are working on a different game internally already,"

They announced that game a while back. I think it’s like a sim city type game. I may be misremembering however I do remember it’s completely different genre, setting, etc.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Oh there were def mobs that were both immune to physical and magic etc

Have fun on a bone necro or barb with that.

I think they addressed the ridiculous heal on teleport and insane lightning enhanced dmg somewhat.

Avoided the mobs and loved the game instead of crying about something being "unfair" on max difficulty. Weird of me to do that considering the typical blizztard armchair game mechanics forum moran today.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am enjoying this in my PoE downtime. Nightblade/Soldier doing on hit shit. Haven't gotten far though!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well, as promised, I put about 20 hours into the game this weekend, starting with deleting all my previous characters (48 soldier was my highest).

Taking my learnings from PoE I started an Alchemist and focused on life on gear and damage in the tree. I blew up all content until Homestead and all that stupid damaging shit on the ground - whoever designed that is an idiot. Aetherial damage I guess.

Anyway, got to about level 43 and REALLY enjoying it again. Over 8,000 hps on a pure caster, and my only problem is I am starting to get energy starved since I have been maxing out my skills - started investing in some energy regen.

The one thing about this game is that it truly rewards you for exploring the WHOLE map. PoE, Titan Quest even, D2, you just race through the content. But Grim Dawn I had no problem exploring every nook and cranny.

This game, when compared to that Warhammer Inquisitor game, shows what I truly like in an ARPG - tons of loot, a fair jag of constant crafting (shards and the like), and steady progression really keep me engaged. And a steady stream of mobs and action, and a feeling of power (but not without challenge). Grim Dawn does a good job with all of it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

all points into physique, and life on gear is DEF a thing in this game as well. Worse even. Gods Expac is supposed to rework phys/cunning/spirit a bit. Cunning and spirit are also going to give 1 hp per point apparently, hopefully making those stats a bit more viable.

there are a few things from POE that do not translate here. one is damage conversion. here damage is converted first, and exclusively.
Like in POE if you had a skill that does 100 cold damage, and have 100 cold to fire conversion. The you will deal 100 cold damage, but the damage is considered cold and fire for damage increases. Meaning, if you had 100% inc cold damage, and 100% fire damage, your 100 cold damage, would be increased by 200% as it is converted to fire, for 300 fire damage.
Here, if you had 100 cold damage 100% converted to fire, and 100% inc cold and 100% inc fire, the damage is no longer cold, so only the 100% inc fire applies. you deal 200 fire damage.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I was never a hard-core D2 player, I am pretty sure I barely dipped into Hell difficulty.

I recently made a ladder frozen orb/fireball sorceress and in Act 1 Hell she is fine but it is annoying that every other mob is cold immune (primary skill). Also I still don't have a decent weapon for my merc so he dies if I let a group of mobs beat on him for longer than 5 seconds. I have the runes for an Obedience, but keep finding 5 slot polearms instead of 4.

I quit PoE in early Jan because of Syndicate, and I am not sure I want to go back for next week's new release. A decent ARPG in progress will help that decision, so, again, it is a Grim Dawn weekend.

You'll definitely want a weapon on your merc, as well as a lifesteal helm like Andarial's on him for survivability. The more damage, the more lifesteal, so he'll stay alive and add a Physical damage source to give you a 3rd element when you run into immunes. Max his resists and focus on bumping up damage and lifesteal.

OG diablo 2 is pretty fucking hard unless you are geared with 2 years (okay maybe 6 months) of MFing or buy it.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
all points into physique, and life on gear is DEF a thing in this game as well. Worse even. Gods Expac is supposed to rework phys/cunning/spirit a bit. Cunning and spirit are also going to give 1 hp per point apparently, hopefully making those stats a bit more viable.

there are a few things from POE that do not translate here. one is damage conversion. here damage is converted first, and exclusively.
Like in POE if you had a skill that does 100 cold damage, and have 100 cold to fire conversion. The you will deal 100 cold damage, but the damage is considered cold and fire for damage increases. Meaning, if you had 100% inc cold damage, and 100% fire damage, your 100 cold damage, would be increased by 200% as it is converted to fire, for 300 fire damage.
Here, if you had 100 cold damage 100% converted to fire, and 100% inc cold and 100% inc fire, the damage is no longer cold, so only the 100% inc fire applies. you deal 200 fire damage.

Yes stats are a lot different now even than when I played it last - higher numbers across the board. I've been splitting Spirit and Physical since I need the energy and helps the damage, but I can see myself focusing maybe 2:1 or even 3:1 from here on out physical/spirit.

I noticed a lot more conversion mods on gear, but I am running an "elemental" build, so it matters not. I also noted seriously higher damage mods on gear, like seeing 70+% increased whatever on gear only level 40.

I can see non-standard resists being a requirement too, specifically Aetherial for that Homestead area in later difficulties.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are there any benefits to specializing in different damage types? Like in PoE, cold can freeze, lightning can shock, fire can ignite, etc. cause there's so many damn damage types and I have no idea if they are any different from one another outside of name.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Are there any benefits to specializing in different damage types? Like in PoE, cold can freeze, lightning can shock, fire can ignite, etc. cause there's so many damn damage types and I have no idea if they are any different from one another outside of name.
Just resists and the fact it's better to stack one or two types of damage. The damage you do is affected by the skills you take and then defines the gear and constellations you'll get to support these damage types. But no functional differences iirc.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
That sucks. Kinda kills that aspect of it for me. But I really enjoy this game at least on my first place through; fully exploring a world map is actually beneficial. It is a very nice change of pace from PoE when its all about clearspeed and movement speed. I'm up to level 41ish on my Nightblade!

• 1Like