Grim Dawn

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Are shrine locations random or set? I'm just curious what happens if you miss one.

And how does the scaling work in this game? It seems like dungeons scale with you but the outside world doesn't?

I was just reading about the new expansion and having a paladin type class will be sweet. They are always my favorite.
They're set, you can just go back and follow a map. There's also more shrines total than the cap iirc(not too many but like 10 or 15more or so) so you can skip some.

Stuff scales but there's lower/upper caps on the scaling, so you can't rush to the last area and have lvl 10monsters, but you also can't grind to 99 in normal mode. It also doesn't scale real time, it sets the level of an area when you first enter it and until you exit the game and reload everything it'll stay that, so say you go into a cave, gain a couple of levels, come out, the area outside is still the level it was when you first entered it, which might be 3-4levels lower than you depending on how much you're killing.

If you feel you're too overleveled it can help relogging to reset stuff if you're in a large area, but if it stays lower lvl it's just cause you're too far ahead. If you clear the full maps(and you kinda want to at first to discover all the sidequests and secrets etc) you'll be overleveled the entire time really, until you reach the 2nd difficulty or so when it starts taking longer to level and it scales fairly high. Starting the 3rd difficulty you can never be overleveled because it scales to 99 everywhere iirc. Maybe the first act scales only to 95 or something but still.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Try to get all the shrines in the first and second difficulty. Some of the ones in elite have annoying requirements or quests.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Is multiplayer a thing in this game these days (people playing it, not flooded with hacked items like TQ multiplayer was)? I might pick up the DLC and fire it up again, was a long long time ago when I played it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is multiplayer a thing in this game these days (people playing it, not flooded with hacked items like TQ multiplayer was)? I might pick up the DLC and fire it up again, was a long long time ago when I played it.
I doubt many people play it, and it doesn't have any sort of matchmaking or whatever have to connect with other people old school. Hacked items it'll depend on who you play with basically, but there's nothing preventing them.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There’s always games up but yeah it’s old school join and pray for the best. It’s a pretty good game to duo or more with friends, but not that great for random pick ups.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I made some crazy OP shit using one of the programs that allowed you to have more vault space or whatever. IT was fun just to gangbang all the content in god mode one time.

They also have other mods that add different classes and shit, that was fun for a while too. I think one of them had like 8 more that you could mix and match to make 16+ different combos.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The mods are pretty fun to mess with. There’s one that adds all the TQ classes. Several well done fully custom classes. One mod, Grimallion or something has like 30 classes total. There’s mob density mods that turn you into an exp lawnmower.

Haven’t messed with those in a while, may check them out once winter hits and before the official expansion. Best part of the mods is they stay separate from your main game saves.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mob density = $$$, fighting 3-4 bosses simultaneously is still crazy albeit offset by mowing down hordes of minor monsters (always fun).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't done it, but from what I understand, leveling via The Crucible is pretty effective if you don't care to run the main campaign over and over. Of course, then you don't have anything open, but I'm assuming this is mainly for people that just want to experiment with different builds. Or supplement xp at least, allowing you to just crush the main questlines and not worry about side quests and shrines and such. For those just starting out, don't forget that The Crucible is a great option for getting more celestial points (or whatever they are called), making it even less necessary to find every shrine. I think you can buy like 10 of them using that method before it stops you?

Personally, I will freely admit that I just make a copy of my current character and then use one of the unspec tools. If I had not done that, I'd have run the main campaign like 20+ times at various difficulties by now, and fuuuuuuuuuck that. It does hurt a bit when trying to get used to a new way of combat, but half the time your leveling builds don't match your level 100 build anyway.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Leveling via crucible isn’t that great I think. Starting there for the celestial points before you run the main game is very good though, it gets you way ahead and can plow through the lower levels much easier.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I haven't done it, but from what I understand, leveling via The Crucible is pretty effective if you don't care to run the main campaign over and over. Of course, then you don't have anything open, but I'm assuming this is mainly for people that just want to experiment with different builds. Or supplement xp at least, allowing you to just crush the main questlines and not worry about side quests and shrines and such. For those just starting out, don't forget that The Crucible is a great option for getting more celestial points (or whatever they are called), making it even less necessary to find every shrine. I think you can buy like 10 of them using that method before it stops you?

Personally, I will freely admit that I just make a copy of my current character and then use one of the unspec tools. If I had not done that, I'd have run the main campaign like 20+ times at various difficulties by now, and fuuuuuuuuuck that. It does hurt a bit when trying to get used to a new way of combat, but half the time your leveling builds don't match your level 100 build anyway.
Crucible is boring AND you have to pay for it. And you still have to go collect shrines(you can buy I think it is, 10points from crucible vendor?).

And yeah one way I tested some high lvl char last time I was playing was just to backup my char then edit everything. That's the good thing about this game having no protection for anything, as long as you don't give a fuck about online play with randoms like me, I can just mod whatever I want however I want. I had the stash mod too so I could keep everything I looted without having to bother with the shit, and it also trading enchants between chars without grinding the reps for the annoying ones, or generate the materials because fuck farming for 27 bear dicks to combine into a gigantic bear dildo and repeat the process with a bunch of different animal dicks until I can finally craft the Dick charm.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Leveling via crucible isn’t that great I think. Starting there for the celestial points before you run the main game is very good though, it gets you way ahead and can plow through the lower levels much easier.

I just finished Warden Kreig yesterday and I've been plowing through the low levels super easy as a ritualist just raping things with my 2hander. Died once to a rare/hero/whatever at like level 15ish but everything up to and including kreig just gets demolished. The two life-steal primary attack buffs are basically maxed now and if they both trigger I get like 70% of my max life back lol. I am doing full clears so a couple levels ahead of most mobs, couple levels down on rares/bosses seems to be how it's shaking out.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just picked this up this weekend after getting annoyed as fuck with my poe character - I've had this and the xpac for months after a sale ($15 or something)... Really fun. Reminds me a lot of D2 in some ways - think POE is superior generally, but having a ton of fun here as well. Read a new xpac was coming in a month or so, which I'll consume happily. One of the better $15 I've spent on a game

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yep, I talked a friend into picking it up and we've put probably 20 hours into it in the last couple of weeks. It's hard lining up our schedules or it would be more >_<

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I was reading about the new expansion and I'm surprised they aren't increasing the max level but I guess it sorta makes sense. So all the gear you already have for high level builds will still be relevant. Looking forward to playing Oathkeepers too.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never bought the last xpac. This one looks great. Was Falmouth worth $20?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I never bought the last xpac. This one looks great. Was Falmouth worth $20?

I’d say yes but it’s not great. Overall still good it just had a couple design decisions that held it back for me. A couple areas were annoying due to pathing through buildings and shit. Also over abundance of poison, which isn’t hard to overcome I just prefer more variety. The new character necro is cool, fun pet army build.