Grim Dawn

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So what should I be buying if I get this? Is there a complete edition?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Not that I know of. Most people seem to be getting Malmouth and Forgotten Gods, Crucible doesn't seem to be popular right now, I haven't gotten crucible myself.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
You can get the base game and if you like the game then get the expansion Ashes of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods. I bought all 3 on steam (Definitive Edition) and I got 280 hours in the game so far.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Crucible isn't really worth it now. The only thing it's decent for is getting a bunch of devotion points very early in the game on a new build and levelling a bit faster.

Nola

Trakanon Raider

It's kinda OP, making me feel like there wont be anything to try later because they'll all be weaker than this guy.

I'm still missing 3 of the 4 ideal set pieces plus 4 other of the ideal items and I still have no issues in ultimate. 12 skellies, hellhound, familiar, and blight fiend pets. When I find the blueprint for the relic I want that will add another pet.
Are you able to do Lokarr and Bourbon twins? I'm currently stuck on Lokarr and cant seem to kill him. He's probably the hardest content I've encountered so far

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Are you able to do Lokarr and Bourbon twins? I'm currently stuck on Lokarr and cant seem to kill him. He's probably the hardest content I've encountered so far
Lokarr is pretty hard yeah, the build I farmed him with still randomly died every now and then(was nightshade+inquis dual wield piercing melee stuff, although dervish might be a better setup with low gear), but I got lucky on the drops and only had to kill him like 5 or 6 times for the whole set. Pet builds generally are kinda shitty for these bosses in my experience because all your shit dies near instantly unless you have A LOT of the really good pet gear, since you need to cap their resists and shit and even then skeletons were one of the worst builds against tough bosses since they require way too much casting. That said that was a while ago so not sure now.

One important thing about Lokarr is overcapping fire and hmm... piercing maybe it was? But fire especially, one of his strong attack is fire and he has several debuffs that remove fire, for up to like -60% fire res or something, so if you just have your basic fire with no overcap, he'll basically one shot you if you get the debuffs. Make sure to use potions for flat health too, there's a few, you basically need enough hp you won't die in one hit(and if you're facetanking you need enough DA to remove crits which is a lot on these special bosses). Fire res potion too while at it. Consumables are a must have for these fights imo.

All the hidden bosses are pretty absurd, requiring very endgame-ish setups to kill. The last one they added when I was playing I basically couldn't kill with my build at the time(the forgotten gods one with the boxes, that shit was fucking madness).

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Lokarr is pretty hard yeah, the build I farmed him with still randomly died every now and then(was nightshade+inquis dual wield piercing melee stuff, although dervish might be a better setup with low gear), but I got lucky on the drops and only had to kill him like 5 or 6 times for the whole set. Pet builds generally are kinda shitty for these bosses in my experience because all your shit dies near instantly unless you have A LOT of the really good pet gear, since you need to cap their resists and shit and even then skeletons were one of the worst builds against tough bosses since they require way too much casting. That said that was a while ago so not sure now.

One important thing about Lokarr is overcapping fire and hmm... piercing maybe it was? But fire especially, one of his strong attack is fire and he has several debuffs that remove fire, for up to like -60% fire res or something, so if you just have your basic fire with no overcap, he'll basically one shot you if you get the debuffs. Make sure to use potions for flat health too, there's a few, you basically need enough hp you won't die in one hit(and if you're facetanking you need enough DA to remove crits which is a lot on these special bosses). Fire res potion too while at it. Consumables are a must have for these fights imo.

All the hidden bosses are pretty absurd, requiring very endgame-ish setups to kill. The last one they added when I was playing I basically couldn't kill with my build at the time(the forgotten gods one with the boxes, that shit was fucking madness).
You talking about the Crate boss? If so yeah that fight looks insane. Will be a while until I try that fight.

I wasn't sure if I needed to overcap other resists too. I overcapped fire by 139% (think I went overboard) but I didnt have pierce overcapped. He was 1 shotting me with that ground slam attack he does. Maybe that's the piercing damage attack he does? Or that attack stacks and my debuff was too high. Think I'm going to try a cat and mouse technique and slowly wear him down with dots and run. I'll take some off fire res and add more pierce res and see how it goes from there.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You talking about the Crate boss? If so yeah that fight looks insane. Will be a while until I try that fight.

I wasn't sure if I needed to overcap other resists too. I overcapped fire by 139% (think I went overboard) but I didnt have pierce overcapped. He was 1 shotting me with that ground slam attack he does. Maybe that's the piercing damage attack he does? Or that attack stacks and my debuff was too high. Think I'm going to try a cat and mouse technique and slowly wear him down with dots and run. I'll take some off fire res and add more pierce res and see how it goes from there.
I said pierce but honestly I don't remember, I think if you google it you might find, or there was a site that listed monster skills too and you can check there what's dangerous. You definitely need to kite at times even on tanky builds, it helps quite a bit. Waiting for defensive cooldowns/potions and shit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Right that was the one, and so it's not piercing for this one, it's lightning. But it's mostly fire that you want to overcap. He's just pretty rough, and moving around massively reduces his damage output especially since some of his fire shit loops back to him, and you can get hit by both the projectile coming back and a new attack at the same time leading to bigger bursts.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The first level 100 is done. I was able to get my Dark One's, Kriegs and had help with the Lokarr's set. So I was working on a 2nd character, a ritualist but around level 50 realized I'm pretty much playing the same class with the expectation of a few different spells. Decided to go with a real melee build. Did some reading and decided to level an oath keeper mastery. I narrowed down to these two builds.

The first one is a retaliation warlord and the 2nd is a spin2win shieldbreaker. I spoke to the author of the first one in Grim Dawn discord and he said it can pretty much do all content minus 1 Crate and 1 other boss. Only issue you need gear to play it since it's retaliation and you have to level as some other build like a spin build. So I decided to go with the shieldbreaker one and I'll farm all the gear to for it.

I'm using the level gear and exp potions and it's going by VERY quickly. I'm so glad they made leveling alts so easy in this game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Shieldbreaker I played and it was quite fun, but I had a really good weapon(the big 2H fire mace Infernal Brimstone), I had the normal and the mythical version so it was smooth sailing even lvling. Build was a bit different than this since I was 2H but yeah works well. It can be quite fucky against high fire res monsters though, but that's what the thermite mines were there for, didn't feel great to use but it was only against tougher mobs and shit. It levels nicely too cause you get a bunch of free damage from demolitionist.

Retaliation was OP as fuck when I played but they nerfed it to acceptable levels I think, it requires fairly specific gear though which makes it more annoying to run but the good thing is you build ultra tanky and still do good damage, definitely one of the stronger builds out there once you have the right gear.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Shieldbreaker I played and it was quite fun, but I had a really good weapon(the big 2H fire mace Infernal Brimstone), I had the normal and the mythical version so it was smooth sailing even lvling. Build was a bit different than this since I was 2H but yeah works well. It can be quite Johnny53y against high fire res monsters though, but that's what the thermite mines were there for, didn't feel great to use but it was only against tougher mobs and Khorum. It levels nicely too cause you get a bunch of free damage from demolitionist.

Retaliation was OP as Johnny53 when I played but they nerfed it to acceptable levels I think, it requires fairly specific gear though which makes it more annoying to run but the good thing is you build ultra tanky and still do good damage, definitely one of the stronger builds out there once you have the right gear.
It's probably a variant of this build. This guy made a build using the mace. I thought about it too but people in discord said the dual wielding version is better.

By the way what does Johnny53 means? I been seeing use this term.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's probably a variant of this build. This guy made a build using the mace. I thought about it too but people in discord said the dual wielding version is better.

The April fools joke on the site the mods made cuss words autocorrect to user names. Johnny53 is fu-ck

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The first level 100 is done. I was able to get my Dark One's, Kriegs and had help with the Lokarr's set. So I was working on a 2nd character, a ritualist but around level 50 realized I'm pretty much playing the same class with the expectation of a few different spells. Decided to go with a real melee build. Did some reading and decided to level an oath keeper mastery. I narrowed down to these two builds.

The first one is a retaliation warlord and the 2nd is a spin2win shieldbreaker. I spoke to the author of the first one in Grim Dawn discord and he said it can pretty much do all content minus 1 Crate and 1 other boss. Only issue you need gear to play it since it's retaliation and you have to level as some other build like a spin build. So I decided to go with the shieldbreaker one and I'll farm all the gear to for it.

I'm using the level gear and exp potions and it's going by VERY quickly. I'm so glad they made leveling alts so easy in this game.

I mostly leveled an Archon spin2win lightning based. Fun build. I put it on hold to farm the rest of the gear for it though

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

I think I got the idea from his stream yeah, tweaked it a bunch to have more attack though. The dualwield is definitely better but at the time I had only the 2H, and no good 1H for the build, so it made sense to go with that. Dualwield is generally better just because of double components, especially the endgame OP ones and the damage is just fairly similar anyway.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Never gave this a fair shake (steam said my last played was Jan 1, 2016) so I’m playing it a bit now. I saw someone mention mods earlier in the thread but then the topic shifted. Any recommendations?

Edit: Grinding doesn’t have the appeal that it once had for me, so I’m specifically looking to decrease the grind without negatively impacting the reward loop. This mod caught my eye:

F88364F5-932F-438F-ACB5-B067E787B38E.jpeg

Last edited:

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Never gave this a fair shake (steam said my last played was Jan 1, 2016) so I’m playing it a bit now. I saw someone mention mods earlier in the thread but then the topic shifted. Any recommendations?

Edit: Grinding doesn’t have the appeal that it once had for me, so I’m specifically looking to decrease the grind without negatively impacting the reward loop. This mod caught my eye:

View attachment 260468
Never heard of that but Grim Dawn Stash does the same and even more.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Get Item Assistant and the rainbow filter mods.

Anything that ups legendary drop rate will help grind. Even with those mods you can still end up with a lot of grinding just due to RNG and a big ass loot pool.

• 1Like