Grim Dawn

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I just found steam pals in public games and ran full group skele key stuff, shared anything I didn't need

Geared out fast compared to poe or other games. Not in a week or anything, but in a few months. Amazing journey and great pals/ARPG enthusiasts met along the way.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Pretty steep discount on Steam right now. I went ahead and bought the expansions and crucible.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Pretty steep discount on Steam right now. I went ahead and bought the expansions and crucible.

The definitive edition I think comes out to be cheaper than buying the stuff separately (because it also includes crucible)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
What are some good newbie/beginner builds/guides?
Look under beginner builds and there's a quite few of them. Really your preference.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
What are some good newbie/beginner builds/guides?

All you have to do in this game is pick a single skill and max it then max synergies with it. Got an ice skill? First max it then max any other skill which boosts cold dmg. This is the same formula for literally every arpg. If you notice mana being an issue just reduce a few pts in the main skill and add them to passives/leveling up the skill tree in the mean time.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
All you have to do in this game is pick a single skill and max it then max synergies with it. Got an ice skill? First max it then max any other skill which boosts cold dmg. This is the same formula for literally every arpg. If you notice mana being an issue just reduce a few pts in the main skill and add them to passives/leveling up the skill tree in the mean time.

Khane Khane Do not follow this advice, this game is more complicated than that. By all means take garlic to cure cancer but don’t pick one skill and max it as your plan to win GD.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Khane Khane Do not follow this advice, this game is more complicated than that. By all means take garlic to cure cancer but don’t pick one skill and max it as your plan to win GD.

Considering I've done everything there is to do in this game, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. He said newbie/beginner builds. That's what you're suppose to do as you level up. Also LOL @ this game being complicated. Maybe for a dumb fuck like you yes, it is but to someone with an IQ in the triple digits it's actually pretty easy. All you have to do is pick a couple of abilities and pick all of the passives that synergize with it. Want a bleed build? Take everything that improves bleed. Pretty fucking simple honestly. Dying too much? Get more defensive abilities/passives. Game is easy as fuck dude, wtf are you talking about?

• 2Worf
  • 1Dislike

Khane

Man... this game made me forget how much I actually do like real ARPGs. I played thousands of hours of D2 and just thought I grew out of the genre. Only level 30 atm but playing through on Veteran and loving this so far.

Using this build which seems to be pretty OP, at least while leveling.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
One of the biggest tips I could give is the one point wonder abilities. The difference in play with an arcanist not having at least 1 point in mirror and frost nova is huge. Same with many of the toggled enchants that add damage to your spells/attacks, pretty much must haves. Much of this becomes extremely evident when you start getting items with +all class skills or +all skills.

• 3Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Man... this game made me forget how much I actually do like real ARPGs. I played thousands of hours of D2 and just thought I grew out of the genre. Only level 30 atm but playing through on Veteran and loving this so far.

Using this build which seems to be pretty OP, at least while leveling.

The only thing that will keep me from playing this the same way/length of time as D2 is that the game never gets fast. I need a spammable move skill at the very least. I'm still into it but I won't be doing skeleton key dungeons five years from now like I did running chaos sanctuary eleventy billion times.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The only thing that will keep me from playing this the same way/length of time as D2 is that the game never gets fast. I need a spammable move skill at the very least. I'm still into it but I won't be doing skeleton key dungeons five years from now like I did running chaos sanctuary eleventy billion times.

Ya but there's like 4 options instead of just one worldstone or chaos sanctuary over and over.

There's also split nemesis hunting.

Plus there's instances of loot to share if you want. Full games with instanced loot was the best way to gear up. In D2 it was good for xp sure (esp if you could carry the leeches), but meant lots more grabby hands when Diab/Baal dropped.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Ya but there's like 4 options instead of just one worldstone or chaos sanctuary over and over.

There's also split nemesis hunting.

Plus there's instances of loot to share if you want. Full games with instanced loot was the best way to gear up. In D2 it was good for xp sure (esp if you could carry the leeches), but meant lots more grabby hands when Diab/Baal dropped.

It’s still slow though. End game gear needs some move speed on it. Every time I reset I’ve got to run through a bunch of shit to even get to the start of a dungeon then through a few levels of it. That’s all fine I’d just rather be able to do it faster.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
It’s still slow though. End game gear needs some move speed on it. Every time I reset I’ve got to run through a bunch of shit to even get to the start of a dungeon then through a few levels of it. That’s all fine I’d just rather be able to do it faster.

This is why I like night blade best as I just use the warp attack ability and the heal/speed buff thing that basically gives you max move speed. If movement is what you seek, night blade is a must.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Don’t forget the new movement augments, those help. I do agree though, I wish run speed had a higher cap.

Khane

So I found and have been using Grim Tools but are there any other good item databases? Grim Tools is a bit clunky and doesn't have information on where items drop as far as I can tell.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I found and have been using Grim Tools but are there any other good item databases? Grim Tools is a bit clunky and doesn't have information on where items drop as far as I can tell.

Grim tools does have item drop locations, but few items actually have static drop locations and are purely random, see example of drop location. Clicking it will show which map and spawn location

1587912935292.png

Khane

Guess I just missed it when I was looking for it, or just never clicked an item that had a static location.

So what's the farming strategy in this game? Is it like D2 where certain monsters had higher chances of dropping higher ilvl gear with more affixes? There a list anywhere?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Guess I just missed it when I was looking for it, or just never clicked an item that had a static location.

So what's the farming strategy in this game? Is it like D2 where certain monsters had higher chances of dropping higher ilvl gear with more affixes? There a list anywhere?

Farming strategy will probably vary depending on what build and gear you're looking for, as the skeleton key dungeons are a major source of static drops, and then there's monster infrequents that drop from specific trash. So pick a build, see where the gear can drop, and go from there. If you don't need anything specific, can always just do shattered realm