Grim Dawn

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
The rogue-like dungeons are the best place to farm besides shattered realm. However, you need a fairly strong build to finish any of them without dying. Before the rogue-likes you can pretty much just farm anywhere that you can quickly and easily kill elites.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Is a few months group running skele keys and Nemesis hunting for full perfect gear really too slow?

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Guess I just missed it when I was looking for it, or just never clicked an item that had a static location.

So what's the farming strategy in this game? Is it like D2 where certain monsters had higher chances of dropping higher ilvl gear with more affixes? There a list anywhere?

It's pretty similar to D2 in that you just choose places/mobs you like to farm and run them. its a bit less restrictive in that you don't have to kill a mob of a certain level, just kill anything. Getting targeted drops takes little time unless you want a magi ring in which case, good luck. Steps of torment is the go to spot overall. Totems can work but I honestly get jack shit from them, most of the time they just drop common blues but I don't chain them so my perception could be skewed on a time per legendary basis. Start doing SR as soon as your build is decent. Its a fucking slog to get to sr75 from scratch but the rewards are there once you can handle it. At 50 it starts to get pretty decent with drops and 60 gets you full access to the SR set. I did 5 to 10 level chunks to hit the checkpoints in between farming since it can be very difficult to progress when you still don't have a complete build item wise.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The new loot overhaul is live. May be time to fire it up and start a new build or finish one off I’m halfway through.

Not going to past the patch notes, it’s fucking huge.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
This is one my favorite games of all time but don't they have anything better to do than tweak item stats all day long? Lol. I'd rather see them add more areas or something. Those patch notes are crazy.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is one my favorite games of all time but don't they have anything better to do than tweak item stats all day long? Lol. I'd rather see them add more areas or something. Those patch notes are crazy.

They’ve always done that. I think they’re autistic or something. This is like the fourth or fifth massive overhaul I remember, and they are constantly doing it on a smaller level almost every patch. They are working on a new area. My guess is they have one dude that does areas, a couple that do art, a couple that do item tweaks and balancing, and they just all try to stay busy.

• 1Like

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I know this is an old thread bump, but I just began playing this with a buddy in co-op. Anyone got any good links for co-op builds for leveling up? So far we're level 20 on Veteran (can't use the other difficulties yet) but we're having a ton of fun.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The grim dawn forums are the best place to find builds. There are all sorts of compendiums there.

Tip #1. Don't play on Veteran. It's much, much more time consuming than normal and not at all worth the extra 10% experience.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I know this is an old thread bump, but I just began playing this with a buddy in co-op. Anyone got any good links for co-op builds for leveling up? So far we're level 20 on Veteran (can't use the other difficulties yet) but we're having a ton of fun.
Leveling on veteran isn’t the most “efficient” way of leveling but it’s more challenging and what I prefer to do. The compendium linked above is the best way to find builds. Read the descriptions to see if it’s a play style you like and make sure it isn’t too gear dependent.

This guy has some good builds that i don’t think are listed on the main forum as he and the devs got into it so he pulled his stuff. The miss meltycakes build was pretty fun and noob friendly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy

Be wary when you look up builds on the GD forums, lots of people who design builds over there do it by spawning the items required rather than playing and actually obtaining them legit. Some items in GD are rare, hard to get for various reasons or they are are drops from difficult encounters. The website Hateyou linked to by Requnix has some of the best starters available as the items for those builds are easily obtained via faction for the most part. All the builds on the page there are old but they will still get you through to the late game content where you can start farming for some insane build that requires lots of gear. The meltycakes build linked is good and it's also very fun but as i said, all those builds are legit.

The GD forums are full of elitist plebs that don't exactly roll out the red carpet for new players, the subreddits pretty ok for the most part.

Veteran could possibly have been a slog if you were solo as a first run through but if you are co-op should be fine.

• 2Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff

This was the best build I found out of everything I tried last I played: SIR CRUNCHYBONES Skelemancer Cabalist - David Allen's Website

I never got the full gear set and it still melted screens no problem

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, make sure any build you look up is "beginner friendly". 99% of the builds that people post are with all the perfect gear, which you will never ever find if you play legit.

My favorite beginner build that I tried was a vitality cabalist. Great build and it doesn't require any special gear at all.

• 1Like

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Pet builds are meta from my understanding. I had a lot of fun with black water cocktail myself.

• 2Like

Khane

There are A LOT of good, beginner friendly builds. There are a few really informative streamers (if they still play) as well. RektByProtoss is a good streamer to watch.

Any build that has the soldier class will be good for starting out. Nightblade was always my favorite class because of its mobility

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There are A LOT of good, beginner friendly builds. There are a few really informative streamers (if they still play) as well. RektByProtoss is a good streamer to watch.

Any build that has the soldier class will be good for starting out. Nightblade was always my favorite class because of its mobility
If you haven’t played in a while they added mobility charms (forget the real name) that any class can do so anyone can do the warping stuff the night blade does, also jumps and other variations. It was always one of my favorite for mobility too but the charms helped spread the love on that.

Khane

The nightblade can still use those medal augments as well for even more mobility

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I really need to play this again. I always played it like I played Titan Quest, just picking skills I like. I played from release and I don't think I ever made it to the end of the second difficulty.

I should approach it like PoE and, as all you guys suggested, actually look up a build.

I am actually intrigued.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really need to play this again. I always played it like I played Titan Quest, just picking skills I like. I played from release and I don't think I ever made it to the end of the second difficulty.

I should approach it like PoE and, as all you guys suggested, actually look up a build.

I am actually intrigued.
Should try looking into the hidden quests and stuff. It makes the play throughs more interesting and there are some that are only in the final difficulty. They’re longer and more involved than the typical Act quests. The Hidden Path quest spans four acts I think.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

I am actually intrigued.

They added all kinds of totem events and upped the gfx (seems like) since last I played. Fresh rollup.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

I am actually intrigued.
My first self-reply.

So this was definitely a highly successful re-visit to an old game for me.

I went to the sites and found a nice easy starter that fitted my play style (Deathknight) and now I am level 53 playing Veteran in the Malmouth expansion, still in the first difficulty.

Let me tell you, it is a whole new game for me following a build. My main skill is 26/16 - I am pretty sure I was just using (juiced) regular attack on my highest character played before (lol). Clearly I am not one of the people that like to min/max these games as a hobby to find the best combinations, but I DO love to follow the product these people create.

Loving it.

It has a bit of the Titan Quest problem, however, that the expansions make the playthroughs take a little longer than one can casually stand. I recall playing to the end of Legendary in the original but once the expansions stacked up I never had the endurance to do it again. I should find a guide on an easy build in that game too. I know you can skip them, but CAN you?

That being said, playing a fast, wrecking build through content makes it far easier to poop-sock through the acts than struggling with some cobbled together skills and gear like my usual playstyle.

I just realized I am not good at games, I just like to copy builds of people who are. I am okay with this.

Anyway, thanks, guys, you have provided me with, easily, 100+ hours of fresh, fun gameplay on a game I have owned for literal years.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users