Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They didn't change him for the sake of changing him, fuck. They didn't change him at all, they made him choose in an instant, which was the greater evil....with zero other options. He was fighting a man who was as strong as he was and would probably become stronger given time. (Zod was bred to fight) He could either kill Zod in that instant or watch him melt a group of innocent people and kill millions (more since millions have presumably already died at this point).

That doesn't change his character anymore than Batman getting a gun and magic bullet to go and try to kill Darkseid. He was put into a situation where he had to act in that instant and had two choices.

You want to talk about changing his character? Letting Zod melt a group of adults and kids because he didn't want to kill.....THAT would have changed his character. In 60+ years Superman hasn't been in many no win situations....which is ridiculous. It's about damn time h was put into one.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mark Waid, who wrote much of the comics that Man of Steel was based on, had thoughts.

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-st...nce-you-asked/

He doesn't like the killing, but in the end not so much because it goes against the character(Oh he killed an alternate universe Zod 30 years ago, WELL I GUESS HE SHOULD JUST MURDER ALL THE TIME NOW), as they didn't build up to it properly. Didn't set it up so that you know just how hard a thing it is for him to do and how much he doesn't want to. It's all just focused on that one little scene and his scream after, instead of it being a known part of his character.

It's pretty much the same complaints many people had, Supes doesn't seem to care about all the destruction and death he's helping cause etc etc. Just better written and from someone with more real right to feel some ownership of the character.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They didn't change him for the sake of changing him, they changed him for the sake of grimdarking him=P GRRR GRITTY REALISM!!!
You are right Grim. Superman should have destroyed both terraforming machines and defeated Zod and his team without a single person dying or building being damaged. Afterwards, unicorns and rainbows could have exploded out of his ass while he pecked Lois on the cheek. That would have made a much better movie.

Superman fanboys are such faggots.

edit: Your next post is actually fair criticism of the movie. Shitty writing did not spend enough time on the no-kill policy and the severity of the decision to kill for him. They should have shown him actively taking hits he could avoid in order to save people. Also, during the first super v super fight they should have had him thrown into a building which killed some people so they could show how much this hurts him (have him disappear afterwards because his fighting leads to people dying so he does not want to fight). Instead, they just focus on the whole don't show your powers thing for some reason. If it was re-framed as a "if I use my powers people die but if I don't do anything even more people die" conundrum, it would have been a much better and more interesting movie. It was just shitty writing, not a change of character.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Man of Steel was not good nor bad.
You can say whatever you want about him killing zod or thousands in metropolis but the fights were really enjoyable and finally saw superman using is powers in full force (him and the other kryptonians).
The rest of the movie was dull.

On topic:
Guardians is my 2nd favourite super hero movie, after X-Men 2.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
finally saw superman using is powers in full force (him and the other kryptonians).
Which for me pretty much outweighed any negatives. It was like the opposite of the first Hulk movie, where the climactic fight scene is him yelling at a lake...

You are right Grim. Superman should have destroyed both terraforming machines and defeated Zod and his team without a single person dying or building being damaged. Afterwards, unicorns and rainbows could have exploded out of his ass while he pecked Lois on the cheek. That would have made a much better movie.
Where the fuck did I say what Superman should have done? I pointed out it was a departure for the character, that's it. See if you can get the doctor to up your dosage and settle the fuck down.

Chris Pratt has apparently signed on to do another comic based movie at some point.

Chris Pratt To Star in 'Cowboy Ninja Viking'

Never heard of it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As the person who got a decent amount of flak for being hyped before Man of Steel came out, I can say with 100% assurance that some of you are being total fags!

I never liked Superman comics because they were (for the most part) exactly as stated, boring and "boyscout"ish. I am fascinated by the concept of a "Superman" though, and that's why I always liked the movies and the potential someone like that represented for great stories. I think Man of Steel was a mediocre story with some of the best depictions of super-powered fight scenes ever. That's one of the things that made Winter Soldier great for me too, the way Cap just totally destroyed normal humans like they weren't even there.

I think it was ham-fisted the way they made him have to kill Zod, and they needed at least 15 seconds of showing him trying to get away from the city so he didn't kill innocents and Zod just vaporizing people to show him that won't work. And of course the whole stupid dad dying for the dog and his secret thing, that was terrible. But other than that and a few other nitpicks, the movie was entertaining, and I've watched parts of it many times over the last year. And while I do think they handled the killing scene pretty badly (hello, stupid bystanders could have just run away when all the other ones did, or Zod could have just moved his fucking eyes...), I am not upset over the fact that they had him kill Zod. I just think it was terribly presented, which cheapened what should have been a pretty huge "Oh shit" moment. If it had been built up to properly, as Grimm alluded to, I think most people wouldn't have had a problem with it even if they were firmly in the "you can't make Superman kill!" corner.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
RCPYB14.jpg
Now, I have to see the picture of Superman's pincher penis. Preferably in action.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Lets SJW this to a whole new level. It is my position that sending folks to the Phantom Zone (Supes Favorite punishment) is in fact Cruel and Unusual punishment. This Red White and Blue boy scout you seem to think is the pinnacle of morality has broken the 8th Amendment on numerous occasions, even when he could lawfully kill an enemy due to the doctrine of self defense.

Just to remind you:

The inmates of the Phantom Zone reside in a ghost-like state of existence from which they can observe, but cannot interact with, the regular universe. Inmates do not age or require sustenance in the Phantom Zone; furthermore, they are telepathic and mutually insubstantial.

This is the epitome of Cruel?.and most certainly unusual. One could argue that the use of this punishment creates further instability in the fragile mental states of the universes most powerful enemies..

Lets not forget the indigenous species of the phantom zone, that superman so callously disregards as he sends wave after waive of supervillians into their homeland. One can barely grasp the magnitude of this crime?

Supergirl #16 shows a form of life native to the Phantom Zone. These Phantoms are enraged over the use of their universe to house criminals and seek revenge on the one responsible.

My position is that it is a fallacy to claim Superman as a moral absolute, and the MoS adaptation is in fact true to the Canon of our Kryptonian overlord. lets not forget that this fight was basically superman's first day as hero...Cant blame a bro for fucking up on his first day.

My second position is that GoTG is a great movie.

Perhaps a mod can amend this Derail and move the posts to the MOS/DC/BATvSupes Thread?At least that?s what I would do as a mod ?.=D

Siliconemelons

re: Zod... I always hated that superheros never killed the supervillans.. I mean at the beginning Zods like "screw you, you wont even kill me... ill be back ill do more shit haha u all suck" and guess what, he got back, he did more shit and killed more people.. glad super snapped his neck... IMO the non-killing of superheros in comic books has always been to extend their use, as it would be annoying to make new supervillans every few months- but in movies, where movies usually encompass entire series of comic books you rarely are keeping one villan from one to the next. and "if you kill me, you become just like me!" is bull- :p

back OT: wife saw preview for GOTG before cap 2 we just rented- she wants to see it, yay!

j00t

Someone said earlier that Superman's moral compass handicaps the writers. That's only true for weak writers. Superman's moral compass is just as much his weakness as kryptonite, and I would argue that it's much more interesting. Anyone can throw kryptonite at him but only certain characters can challenge his no killing rule. Only certain characters can make the conflict be about superman fighting his own moral code. It forces the writer to be creative. When superman is faced with choosing one evil over another, how does he choose neither? How does he believably make a win/win scenario out of a lose/lose?

The phantom zone is honestly a perfect example of poor writing. You solve the lose/lose scenario, but create worse inconsistencies. Its one thing if that becomes part of the plot... Making things worse through altruistic behavior. That puts a huge conflict between himself and his beliefs. But you have to resolve that.

Superman only works when he's infallible. If he's not then he's an alien dictator.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I believe the bullshit legacy of supervillians living has to do with the comics code authority, basically a restriction was good shall always triumph over evil. And if you're a good person, you don't kill. Again bullshit from 50 years ago, comics have been good now that no one cares about this shitty stamp.

Plus also, yea easy for lazy writing, lock criminals up in arkam, recycle them 6 months later.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Superman only works when he's infallible. If he's not then he's an alien dictator.
Infallible characters are fucking boring. What you say makes Superman "work" is exactly why people who don't like him, don't like him. If every story involves some faggot holding up a green rock and Superman being weak for a few pages before he punches the guy's skull in or some other threat that Superman always manages to come up with a win/win solution for then who fucking cares? The only people that want to read an infallible character that never loses are little kids.

A benevolent alien dictator that constantly struggles with that fact is a way better character than super boyscout that always has the right answer.

j00t

No, I'm not saying that it doesn't get stale. I'm just saying that that is just as much of a character defining trait as Han shooting first. Whether you think it makes him boring or not is a perfectly valid opinion either way, but taking that away from his character is why some people are upset.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'm upset that we spend pages talking about Superman killing Zod in the GotG thread and that's not even the reason Man of Steel wasn't good.