Guild Wars 2

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I played a Guardian to level 70 back around the original release and just got bored. I felt like I was mashing buttons without feeling connected to the combat. Totally unlike WoW where I always feel fairly engaged.

Is there any particular class that's considered the most fun for PvE? I haven't played GW2 in years and wouldn't mind giving it another shot. But I have no desire to jump back in with the same character since I have no idea what I was even doing.

The difference in how easy the mobs are in Vanilla vs HoT/PoF is pretty drastic. You go from steam rolling everything with no worries to getting your asshole jammed pretty quickly. Guardian is pretty tank so if you're looking for a challenge pick something squishy like a dagger/dagger ele, it's really engaging, fun and challenging if you go full glass cannon. I'm also biased as shit, but I think ele is the funnest class in the game.

If you pick up PoF, it comes with an 80 boost that you can try out in one of the harder vanilla zones before you decide to keep it or switch to try another. I recommend you check them out a bit before you decide. We could also use a few more members to do some full group/guild stuff so it would be nice to get you aboard.

I feel the vanilla game is so tame in comparison to end game challenge that most people lose the desire to get to the fun stuff. I'd say hop in at 80 and do some shit and figure it out as you go. As long as you have some situational awareness you'll do fine til you get up to speed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I played a Guardian to level 70 back around the original release and just got bored. I felt like I was mashing buttons without feeling connected to the combat. Totally unlike WoW where I always feel fairly engaged.

Is there any particular class that's considered the most fun for PvE? I haven't played GW2 in years and wouldn't mind giving it another shot. But I have no desire to jump back in with the same character since I have no idea what I was even doing.
I'm partial to Thief since long duration stealth allows you to cheese quite a bit of PvE, Daredevil is even better since you get extra dodge and can roll like in a Dark Souls fight. Shame that Deadeye is kinda poop in PvE. The issues is that once you hit 80/exotic gear, all stat improvements are rather miniscule, so you mostly rely on knowledge and experience, instead of straight up outgearing anything, but on the other hand there's nothing you can't do because you don't have good enough gear (apart from group content ofc.)

It's been like 3 months since I jumped back in and I can almost find my away around Tangled Depths, that's progress!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had a hard time with the PoF in some parts as engineer, though I did it right at the start of coming back.

When I re-did it as renegade revenant, I dominated everything and found it much easier.

Hekotat

That part of Vabbi where you can only ride around on a skimmer without dying is absolutely retarded, why would you make a huge sections of your zone filled with mobs you can't fight without getting killed by the grounding effect? Seems like a huge waste of space, I would have rather them just leave it out of the game.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That part of Vabbi where you can only ride around on a skimmer without dying is absolutely retarded, why would you make a huge sections of your zone filled with mobs you can't fight without getting killed by the grounding effect? Seems like a huge waste of space, I would have rather them just leave it out of the game.
It's like the only part of PoF that is actually threatening, everything else you can outrun and even here once you drop combat, there's a moment where you can mount up again and regen, not to mention all the bubbles. Besides, there's hardly anything worth in there once you are done with map completion.

Molten Core Raider
Thinking of jumping back into this. I tried it for a minute a few months after HoT released so i do own the first expansion but I never really did anything in it. Is there a benefit to having PoF before you go through the HoT content?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Thinking of jumping back into this. I tried it for a minute a few months after HoT released so i do own the first expansion but I never really did anything in it. Is there a benefit to having PoF before you go through the HoT content?
PoF is much more solo and casual friendly, HoT you often get cockblocked by your mastery progression or by being alone, but as far as power level, they are equal. Oh and the main story in PoF is actually quite decent and if you played GW1 Nightfall, you will recognize a lot of the places and lore.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

The main benefit of doing PoF before HoT is the access to mounts. It's not huge, but it does make HoT a bit easier to navigate, and they are just fun to use. :)

Molten Core Raider
I was afraid that I'd be locked out due to story progression or the like, I'll definitely do PoF first then. I recall HoT being very challenging compared to the vanilla game so baby steps might not hurt. Plus mounts are always a good time.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I recently just finished LW2, HoT and am now working on LW3. I did get a few mounts in PoF and it makes your life a hell of a lot easier so absolutely do that first. Honestly, I could not stand my experience in HoT and I understand the dissatisfaction. On top of a jungle theme not being something I dig in the first place, trash mobs drop way too many conditions, just getting around is frustratingly stupid and to top it off, needing to group up to get HP was a pain, although there are people running HP trains quite often. What I did in PoF (to get my mounts) they seemed to learn from their mistakes. I honestly cannot fathom how I played this game even pre-HoT without a mount.

Hekotat

I went into HoT yesterday to complete my dailies and got fucking gang-raped by those raptors and then a veteran dust hound or whatever the fuck they were called.

Valderen Valderen Faltigoth Faltigoth , what time on Sunday do you guys want to do some Fractals/Guild shit? We could use a few more if anyone else wants to join.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I probably won't be available until after 1600 EST alas, but after that I'll be all in. My Sunday got kind of blown up.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Sundays are not the best days for as I usually go visit my dad. I'm usually back around 4EST, and can do stuff after that.

This weekend also Stranger Things Season 2, so probably won't be on as much. :)

Hekotat

Sundays are not the best days for as I usually go visit my dad. I'm usually back around 4EST, and can do stuff after that.

This weekend also Stranger Things Season 2, so probably won't be on as much. :)

Haha, no worries. I'm usually down Sat/Sun but I actually have a lot of shit going on this weekend.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I started the long slog to get the Griffon mount and wrapped up the 2nd leg (Desert Highlands). So far I think it's really well done in that I think it's a good balance of Group/Solo content and surprisingly not too grindy IMO. I think they nailed it with making it feel like an epic quest. I have no idea how people figured all this stuff out so quickly, other than some (beta test) leaks or data mining.

Hekotat

Looks like a balance patch is coming on Tuesday, I'm ready for buffed weaver, bitches!

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
They buffing Weaver? What are they buffing? I already thought Weaver is pretty strong on the PvE side

Hekotat

They buffing Weaver? What are they buffing? I already thought Weaver is pretty strong on the PvE side

They said they were going to buff it since it was weaker than other classes in PVE or other ele builds, not sure the details yet since I haven't seen any patch notes.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Patch is next week and honestly their balance efforts have been pretty shitty. There's so many modifiers and stats that you really can't judge with the naked eye how much damage something does or should do.

To delay it because "there's a pvp season going on" is bullshit since decent chunks of PoF have been broken since launch and in a grand Anet fashion, it has been nerfs since launch anyway.