Guild Wars 2

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
It's been several years since I last played GW2, before the expansion (Heart of Thorns maybe?) that added gliding or flying or whatever. I loved the 1-80 game and some of the world raid events but feel like it might be overwhelming to try again at this point. How many expansions would I need to even buy to get caught up to today's content?

I reinstalled, so would like to know as well! What's the easiest mount to get for someone who only bought the game on release? (Though I suspect I"ll have to buy an expansion or something lol)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
There's only 2 expansions, Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire. I think they're available as a package for like $30 so it's not a huge investment to get back in, and they come with a level 80 boost.

Both are worth getting, they each have their own mastery points which unlock abilities like Gliding in Heart of Thorns, or the Mounts in Path of Fire.

You can get the first mount at 80 very early on in Path of Fire, probably within the first 30-60 minutes.

I do believe(not 100% certain) that as long as you're 80, you can skip to any Story Chapter you want. Like you could skip all of it and jump directly to the current one that was just released.

I wouldn't do it though, since playing through HoT, PoF and the Living Stories unlock tons of Mastery Points and Skill Points while playing. You can just go to the zones to collect them and skip the story if you want, but might as well do the story while you're there. :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sneaky

Lord Nagafen Raider
As Valdren said, if you just started playing again, buy both expansion now as they are 50% off (I think - else check mmoga.com or smiliar ).

Then start the PoF story-line until you get your raptor mount, then switch over to the HoT storyline and continue the story as it is intended.

And yes, it is easy to feel overwhelmed when starting again. Just take it slow. Do the story, make sure you always have a mastery selected to earn XP towards (HoT mastery while in HoT, PoF mastery while in PoF and Tyria master while in Tyria zone - when the XP bar is full, but you don't have points to unlock it yet, select a different mastery to fill up in the meantime - else XP is lost). Grab all mastery-points you can, but don't obsess over it until you are done with the story and familiar with the game again. Then you can set your goals on how to advance your character next.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Path of Fire (PoF) gives you access to mounts. You will need that at a minimum if you want them. They are extremely helpful, even in the old world.
Heart of Thorns (HoT) has a ton of content and meta events that people like to farm. I definitely recommend it. Most people go back to HoT zone metas after finishing PoF. And both expansions have elite abilities that are very powerful, if you raid, PvP or WvW you will want them.

There is also extra content called Living World (new story and zones). It comes in episodes that you can pick up free for a bit when they are first released. After that you have to buy them.

Living World Season 3 (1 can't be done anymore, not sure about Season 2) is the content between PoF and HoT. It is a continuation of the story and has a bunch of new zones. The story leads up to HoT's. You can buy the season on the aution house.

Living World Season 4 is finishing up right now. You can get the last episode for free if you log in sometime in the next week or so. You have to buy the earlier episodes.

The Raptor and Griffon are the most used mounts, they (and 3 others) come from PoF. But there are 2 mounts, the Roller Beetle and Skyscale, that come from Living World Season 4. You need to own and do those episodes to get them. The Roller Beetle is from episode 3 or 4, you'll have to buy it to get that mount. Skyscale comes from this latest episode that is free atm. There is also a WvW mount, but it's useless in PvE. Looks cool though.

---

As for what to do, GW2 has so much content that unless you can play it 24/7 it's pretty hard to do all of it. I pick a goal (get a specific mount, build a legendary, get more mastery points, level a new toon, etc) and then just work towards that. With so much going on in the world and people all over, it's very easy (and fun) to get distracted. So my goals tend to take a while to finish.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Ugh this mount is a serious collection grind with some big time gates. I don't mind time gates or collection grinds but both of them together for a mount is painful.

As for the ending of the Living World season:
Thought it was okay, but predictable. They spent years building up Aurene with prophecy and visions so I never believed she was dead for good, although her coming back because she absorbed Jokos magic was something I didn't see. Her voice actress really bothered me too and some of the overall dialog was cringey. The Kralk fight(s) were fun and nostalgic though and I liked how Kralk was being made insane through torment from all of various absorbed magics that he couldn't handle.

That said, I hope we're done with dragons.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I heard they have halted all development on this and it will be brought off-line in Dec

Pretty hard to believe since GW2 is one of the most popular MMO's. What I've heard is that they are working on Living World Season 5, that will come out next. After that, another expansion.

Ugh this mount is a serious collection grind with some big time gates. I don't mind time gates or collection grinds but both of them together for a mount is painful.

As for the ending of the Living World season:
Thought it was okay, but predictable. They spent years building up Aurene with prophecy and visions so I never believed she was dead for good, although her coming back because she absorbed Jokos magic was something I didn't see. Her voice actress really bothered me too and some of the overall dialog was cringey. The Kralk fight(s) were fun and nostalgic though and I liked how Kralk was being made insane through torment from all of various absorbed magics that he couldn't handle.

That said, I hope we're done with dragons.

Lol. Yeah, lots of people complaining about the time gate. Still working on earlier episodes so haven't reached that part yet. Hope they adjust it, doesn't sound fun.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Believable to me if he was talking about wvw lol.

They just chopped like 100 staff off from like 300 to 200 back in feb. I believe they've dropped everything else they were working on as there was numerous delays and NCsoft probably told them to get shit in line cause gw2 isn't going to support it all, their monthly revenues were dropping to all time lows again. That probably included the next expansion. Highly doubt they plan on just completely shutting it down by dec unless Anet itself is shutting down, because they have nothing else other than gw1.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
ANet hasn't been working on the new expansion they've made that clear since PoF and well before the layoffs. They wanted to do at least 2 seasons of back to back Living World and we just finished the first of the two.

Although we don't know what exactly they were the rumor and tidbits of information we got from many of the fired employees was that ANet had an insane amount of side projects some of which were not really related to core GW2 and most were unable to be monetized and they've had them for years and out of all the side projects they've had very few of them were ever completed and almost all of them ended up being scrapped. It's been months now since the layoffs and after all the outrage and the 140ish people fired no one has come out to leak the "cool" behind the scenes projects they were working on and how it would benefit GW2. That's probably because everyone was freelancing on random pointless shit behind the scenes and upper management either turned their back and let them do it or encouraged this bullshit. I still feel like they have a lot more bloat left to cut and it would do them some good to hire some fresh eyes to take the game into a new direction.

I and I imagine the majority only typically log in during new Living World episodes and sometimes festivals and after a week I'm back offline for 4 months until the next one. That's a problem and you don't need a development team of 400ish people (which they apparently had before the layoffs) to pump out a single living world episode every 4 months.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The pacing for GW2 is off too much for how the game is built. I feel like Im not progressing anymore and put the game down until the next big update. I would have kept the 400 team, organized them, and focused them on putting out monthly content. At least, as close to monthly content as possible. Something that, Oh, I dont know... would garner them the same profits as a monthly fee?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If they aren't actively in pre-production for GW3 by now, I think we'll see the end of the series before long. GW2 is just too limited by its core game design and terrible jerry-rigged engine (it's an edited version of GW1) that constantly shits itself, and their revenue now is low let alone 5 years from now.

It's a shame too as some of the things they did with the game were really innovative. Given a better engine and a more polished combat design, those innovations could have been a part of something truly special.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
If they aren't actively in pre-production for GW3 by now, I think we'll see the end of the series before long. GW2 is just too limited by its core game design and terrible jerry-rigged engine (it's an edited version of GW1) that constantly shits itself, and their revenue now is low let alone 5 years from now.

It's a shame too as some of the things they did with the game were really innovative. Given a better engine and a more polished combat design, those innovations could have been a part of something truly special.
I don't know if "long" is the right term; I just logged in and showed my daughter GW1, as we had been playing GW2 and she wanted to see what the original looked like. Given that it takes years to build, that we don't know about GW3 is telling, though. GW2 at launch might be my favorite non-EQ MMO experience, and its kind of sad that the money/WoW/mobile indicates we won't get another round of that. I really dislike what they have done with the game since HoT, though: Shockingly not the biggest fan of the Living Story, although that may be just plot and characters; despise the design of HoT, I get it, you want us to use the glider, weee. way to trash the whole launch campaign, though. PoF was loads better but still seemingly so linear, I guess as an artifact of not raising level limits. Mounts, however, rock, and the classes are good-ish.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
If you're looking for easy gold right now ANet just released the new legendary trinket and part of the collection requires 5 crafted Astral Weapons from Istan.

You need lots and lots of Powdered Rose Quartz and they are gained by mining Branded Meteorites that fall every 15 minutes. Roughly 35-50+ Powdered Rose Quartz per Meteorite and buy orders at 7s 80c with sell orders at 12s and selling almost immediately. Probably the best gold farm right now and it most likely wont be as good in 5 hours.

Edit: 5+ hours later farm still going strong. 8s 46c Buy Orders and 10s 17c Sell Orders. Farm will probably last into the next day and maybe the next. There is a max account limit of about 750 - 1000 Kralk Ore per day and once you reach it you get cut off from the Meteorite event until reset :/. Took about 4 hours to hit the limit but because of it the farm will most likely survive longer than I expected as most people right now are keeping their Quartz rather than selling.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
So I knew going back into this that gear advancement was kind of not-MMOish. But after hitting level cap number wise, I'm taking my time, doing the 2 expansions in order and I like how you have to level up and unlock abilities to advance further, it's kind of like Metroid or something. You see people doing an event up there, but need to level up gliding AND updraft mastery to get there and help them out (or cheat and use mesmer portals, like they do for daily Hero Point runs lol). I can't get over how huge just the first expansion is.

It's fun, and something to do without a sub fee.

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
What would you recommend for someone who only made it to level ~40 last time they played, prior to any expansions?

I enjoy leveling, but watching people run around with mounts.... omg i want one. But I'd have to use a 80 token that comes w/ the 2nd expansion, play for an hour or so and then I could return to my original character? Would something like that be recommended, or does that mess other things up?

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
I still don't know much about the game, but after getting 80 (and you get a token for insta-80 for each expansion bought), I was still running around without a mount until someone told me to just take 5 minutes on the 1st mission in Path of Fire to get a basic ground mount.

I took my time, leveled my mesmer from 1-80 in about half the time it took me to get cap on EQs Selos server. I've done 0 raids, fractals or pvp with this char, but it was super easy buying cheap exotics on the AH to sort of get caught up.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I'm leveling a Mesmer myself... all of level 10 right now. Not continuing my level 40 toon, at least not yet.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's worth it if you don't mind spending the token, as mounts make a world of difference. I wouldn't recommend it if you're someone that focuses on the "journey" of levelling or gets messed up with story skips. It shouldn't mess anything up for your main character if you do it on another. Unlocking gliding might be worth it as well while you're at it, but you'll experience a lot of spoilers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed how this game played, and definitely put a ton of hours into it. The classes and the combat were the best in any MMO. The content was... weird and the itemization really limited what you could do with the content, since everything was basically fixed at max level.

I think my perfect game would combine this game's combat with PoE style itemization and skill trees.