Guild Wars 2

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of my friends is constantly trying to get me to play this game. Is there a decent endgame? Every video i watched made it seem like the only progression was cosmetic.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
One of my friends is constantly trying to get me to play this game. Is there a decent endgame? Every video i watched made it seem like the only progression was cosmetic.
There's raiding, but there's no gear treadmill in the game so it doesn't serve the same purpose as other MMO's. Other than PVP, the game is mostly centred around achievement hunting and the story stuff.

I like it because it's laid back and there's no carrot to chase other than the one you feel like doing at the time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
There is tons of shit to do, just hard to change your mindset of how to play the game and what to pursue.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Yep, Ive been playing just the core game for the last three weeks...got to max level in just a few days and the rest of the time I have been working on world map completion and still only about 75% done. This is the most casual game there is, no poop socking to keep up with the jones or any of that. And I dont mean casual in a bad way, its just that you do what you want when you want and dont have to stress about falling behind the curve.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Honestly, aren't we all just done with the whole item +gooder stats paradigm? It's become absolutely meaningless now. I think it's always been mostly about cosmetics anyway. And GW2 has some really cool looking armor and weapons. That legendary pony-bow thing really cracks me up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
This was the first game I didn't try to really "be the best" (not that I ever was). It offers so many different types of gameplay and paths to explore that let you unlock or have some sort of progression, it just feels nice. Completing a map and all the points of interest and stuff is just enjoyable. It's just fun to play and doesn't require beating someone or winning.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is the Skyscale mount worth rushing to? I typically like to just do a story episode here and there at my own pace, but I'm only halfway through season 4 at the moment.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Is the Skyscale mount worth rushing to? I typically like to just do a story episode here and there at my own pace, but I'm only halfway through season 4 at the moment.
I still don't have one. I've heard it makes Tangled Depths in HoT bearable, but other than that I haven't felt the need for it. But I think there's at least one Mastery Point that's only obtainable with the Skyscale.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Griffon is game changing and worth the effort and cost imo. The quests are fun too. But once you have that the skyscale seems like a gimmick. It's quite a grind also, or was last time I played in those areas. Never finished the quests. Will someday I suppose.

I'm sure the skyscale has it's uses. Climbing walls, vertical stuff, annoying people at vendors, etc. And I can see possibly kicking myself for not getting it sooner. But did I mention it's a serious grind?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Game has me hooked again. There's just so much shit to do, and I never feel pressured to do it. I'm working on setting up a Firebrand and a Scourge. Working on collections. Story stuff. Two mounts. Re-learning fractals. Getting my Fashion Wars on. Getting back into meta's. Might even look into some WvW in the future.

Pox.6108 is my account name if anyone wants to add me.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Game has me hooked again. There's just so much shit to do, and I never feel pressured to do it.
I don't think GW2 gets the love it deserves here. I feel this game is perfect for those that are tired of the WoW model.

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Yeah, im pretty hooked too...Trying for Map completion on my thief, then off to finish personal story and then will start the LW stories. I havent even touched the xpacs except to do the Raptor quest and tbh I hate that fucking mount, so hard to steer it lol

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, im pretty hooked too...Trying for Map completion on my thief, then off to finish personal story and then will start the LW stories. I havent even touched the xpacs except to do the Raptor quest and tbh I hate that fucking mount, so hard to steer it lol
The personal story is pretty rough design-wise. I hate doing them now after experiencing the LW and expansion stories. They're just so much better in every way. I especially like the challenge mode achievment aspect to them.

My only real complaint about the LW stories is that some of the Dragon's Watch companions are annoying.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I look at how great and innovative HoT was when it comes to map design, and I can't help but wonder the sort of things this game could have achieved design-wise if they had anywhere near the budget of WoW.

They started off really strong with a popular release, but just bled too much of the playerbase chasing after their early living world design. By the time fractals were put in, so many had left and the belief that they were too difficult for all but the most hardcore turned away a good number of other people.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I hated fractals. Seemed like just a cheap rip off of mythics in order to try and grab some of the WoW player base. The raid bosses were fun but there was only 2 by the time HoT came out.

Malkav

French Madman
My only real complaint about the LW stories is that some of the Dragon's Watch companions are annoying.

I'm still on LW3, and I kinda find Braham emo reactions annoying. Aside from him, I love everyone, especially Taimi.

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
The personal story is pretty rough design-wise. I hate doing them now after experiencing the LW and expansion stories. They're just so much better in every way. I especially like the challenge mode achievment aspect to them.

No NPC could ever be as bad as Traehern (or however you spell it). I think he is the most hated NPC in any game I have ever played.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I hated fractals. Seemed like just a cheap rip off of mythics in order to try and grab some of the WoW player base. The raid bosses were fun but there was only 2 by the time HoT came out.
They're nothing alike. And even if they were, GW2 introduced fractals in 2012. Mythic dungeons started in 2016. Even if you're talking about challenge mode dungeons from MoP: Those came out only a month before fractals (which had been in development previously) and again: Nothing alike.