Guild Wars 2

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
GW2's Combat is pretty fun. Constantly moving, with deep combos, etc. possible, especially in PvP. Until Black Desert came out, I thought it was the best of most of the mmo's also.

But since BDO there have been a couple of mmo's with good combat. And never got around to Tera, which is older. heard good things about that.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
GW2's Combat is pretty fun. Constantly moving, with deep combos, etc. possible, especially in PvP. Until Black Desert came out, I thought it was the best of most of the mmo's also.

But since BDO there have been a couple of mmo's with good combat. And never got around to Tera, which is older. heard good things about that.
Tera has a lot of animation locks, but the combat can be pretty good.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Got to about 40 now, but can feel the gaming ADD starting to kick in, heh.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I'm back in after falling off the game years ago, and finally doing the HoT expansion.

Also found out that they had implemented a mouselook mode while I was gone. Now I can finally play the game without having the right mouse button held down 95% of the time.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
So uh.. anyone playing the wvw event? It's the core skill swap event, in which when you kill a player and run over their body you collect an essence which shows up as a button, when activated it will swap out your normal utility bar(like revenant legendary stances), health utility elite skill, for whatever class you collected, so for the warrior you get mending, bull's charge, for great justice, endure pain, battle standard, when they go on cooldown so does your original skills.

Cool huh? Except it's bugged where you can reset the bar and it's cooldowns, and making skills like endure pain which is 100% physical damage immunity on a 60s cooldown, down to a 4s cooldown. When you press the button again to deactive the bar, you can hit stow weapon to cancel and reset the bar. Holosmiths in particular can go crazy with it.

There of course have been reports in forums in the wvw, bugs, general, and reddit forums, but they're being deleted and warnings issued. In game bug reported, and messaged to anet team members in the forums. But it'll probably be swept under the rug and never mentioned, just like how the golem week became an exploit fest and they never said anything the entire week either.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm back in after falling off the game years ago, and finally doing the HoT expansion.

Also found out that they had implemented a mouselook mode while I was gone. Now I can finally play the game without having the right mouse button held down 95% of the time.

Those HoT zones are crazy huge. I like the mount / abilities progression in HoT, unlocking gliding, updrafts etc to explore the rest of the map.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The HoT zones are crazy fun especially if you get into doing the meta events. Auric Basin is always good for a fun time especially if you get into PICNIC! territory. An entire zone full of people all working towards the same goal and needing to work together to not fuck timers up, and you get a shitload of loot as a reward if it's done right. The zone being one of the most beautiful zones in gaming doesn't hurt either.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
HoT definitely requires a shift in thinking when it comes to traversal (especially Verdant Brink), but once you get a sense for how all the parts of the zone stack on top of each other, getting around is interesting.

Just made it into Auric Basin in my last play session, although I'm going to have to backtrack at some point to finish the map completion for Verdant Brink--need to unlock updrafts to hit the last PoIs.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So uh.. anyone playing the wvw event? It's the core skill swap event, in which when you kill a player and run over their body you collect an essence which shows up as a button, when activated it will swap out your normal utility bar(like revenant legendary stances), health utility elite skill, for whatever class you collected, so for the warrior you get mending, bull's charge, for great justice, endure pain, battle standard, when they go on cooldown so does your original skills.

Cool huh? Except it's bugged where you can reset the bar and it's cooldowns, and making skills like endure pain which is 100% physical damage immunity on a 60s cooldown, down to a 4s cooldown. When you press the button again to deactive the bar, you can hit stow weapon to cancel and reset the bar. Holosmiths in particular can go crazy with it.

There of course have been reports in forums in the wvw, bugs, general, and reddit forums, but they're being deleted and warnings issued. In game bug reported, and messaged to anet team members in the forums. But it'll probably be swept under the rug and never mentioned, just like how the golem week became an exploit fest and they never said anything the entire week either.

Yeah, WvW is in a bad place. Taking waaaaaaaaaaaay too long to create the Alliance changes. At this point it seems doubtful Alliances are going to happen before Star Citizen launches for our grandkids.

Haven't played the event, it didn't interest me. My buddies and I are playing other games atm. From what we hear a lot of WvW players skipped this one.

We usually do the WvW events because it brings back a ton of old players and they can be fun for a couple of days before the exploits get out of hand. But my buddies and I are pretty burnt out on WvW at the moment and disappointed with Anet and WvW in general. So we've been playing other games.

Will go back to WvW and GW2 eventually, no real other choices when it comes to RvR games except for ESO. But never could get into ESO's clunky combat.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I'm in the same boat, so disappointed and tired of anet, and this event is just more proof that they really don't give a fuck. I usually only play on reset nights and not much else, but the past few resets have been really bad, like numbers are what you would see on like a wed night not on reset which use to have 3-4 maps queued for a couple hours at least.

Now whether that's the summer effect, or the pve event still going on (nice time to do a wvw event, in the middle of the pve one), who knows, just never seen reset nights be that bad in 7 years. Eso was ok but it just didn't stick with me either, not a lot of other choices out there, just sad the wasted potential of wvw.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I've been enjoying the PvE side of things. Story has been good, exploring / jump puzzles entertain me (gotta chase achievement points!). PvP? When this game first game out years ago, as soon as I realized that it didn't even come close to what all the videos advertised it as I lost interest fast. My pre-release impressions were that of a deep, strategic PvP game where TTK wasn't quick at all. Actual game, pretty much every class has insta-kill builds, a lot of them with stealth. SUPER boring. I'll stick to PS2 for my pvp :p

• 1Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Last night was gonna write a reply here half praising the game for it's combat, left it to saved to finish today... then I get a message this morning the anet mods deleted (instead of merging) my entire thread on the upcoming balance in the wvw section of the official forums, because they would like the feedback discussion in the same thread..... except it's also being discussed in 10 other sub forums.... I really hate the anet moderation team, it's the worse I've encountered in just about any official forum.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Last night was gonna write a reply here half praising the game for it's combat, left it to saved to finish today... then I get a message this morning the anet mods deleted (instead of merging) my entire thread on the upcoming balance in the wvw section of the official forums, because they would like the feedback discussion in the same thread..... except it's also being discussed in 10 other sub forums.... I really hate the anet moderation team, it's the worse I've encountered in just about any official forum.

Anet team has some good people but also some very stubborn.
I was one of the first few 100 people to get into the alpha in 2011.
I watched a lot of good feedback get tossed aside, it drove away a lot of the friends that were also in the alpha/beta.
The game was a complete deviation from GW1. They rarely listened, just wanted bodies for testing obviously broken stuff.

PvE content was always praised, and imo rightly so. But the PvP content has been seriously flawed since day 1.
I had a good group of PvP players from GW1 and what they settled on for GW2 was so disappointing.

They wanted GW2 to be an esport from Day 1. They saw LoL growing the space and wanted in on the cash-grab. Their Arena PvP combat was supposed to be baller. We reiterated over and over how flawed the concept was, but they plowed forward anyway. They settled on having 3 capture point objectives in a very small map. Compare this to Guild v Guild in GW1 which was a far superior format and could have been a much better e-sport.

They took the "Guild" out of "GuildWars".
Also Heroes Ascent in GW1 was completely abandoned even though it was one of the most innovative and fun PvP modes and has yet to be replicated. The format wouldn't make a good esport though.

WvW was one of the last things added and has been a problem since day 1 as well. From re-using the same map in the beginning, to match making, zerg fights, lag, 1-server steamrolling, night-capping, etc etc etc... they had no good solutions for anything.

GW2 PvP failed when they abandoned GvG as a PvP mode.

Their PvE team is top-notch but their PvP team was/is filled with the most mule-headed game devs.

• 1Like

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Until recently, every single class was buffed or nerfed based upon their performance in the sPvP game mode. PvE, WvW, all skill stats and trait templates based upon sPvP class performance that catered to a failed idea of arena 5v5 esport pvp that never took off...

...for 7 years.

Games have separated ability stats and templates for PvP and PvE since the 90's.

They've been clueless for a very long time on a lot of things and they still largely are, even with the layoffs.

The "big announcement" is on Aug 30th where they're expected to announce LS5 and what's next for GW2. If they don't go big and start delivering, 2020 could end with them in maintenance mode.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
7th Character Birthday Gift:
a05b7Victory-Rock-768x432.png

Account Rewards:
  • Victory Rock—Use this novelty chair to strike a heroic pose.
  • Title—”Victorious”
  • Anniversary Armor Pack—Choose a set of exclusive armor skins.
  • Two Anniversary Weapon Packs—Choose exclusive weapon skins.
  • Anniversary Backpack Pack—Choose an exclusive backpack skin.
  • Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock—Unlocks a random wardrobe option.
Character Rewards:
  • Birthday Card—Awards 5,000 karma when consumed.
  • Victorious Dye Kit—Choose an account-bound exclusive dye.
  • Two Black Lion Statuettes—Redeemable for a variety of gem store items.
  • Two Birthday Boosters—Grants the Celebration Bonus effect for one day.
  • Five Teleport to Friend Tokens—Use to teleport to a party member’s location.
The pic above is the chair pose.

Today's patch dropped our first hint towards the next LS direction with new NPCS in the Shiverpeak Mountains:

Looks like possibly Sons of Svanir / Drakkar / Jormag

• 1Like

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Cooking 500 was released yesterday and introduced Ascended food that's relatively easy to make and new BIS from what I can tell. They're all Feasts and account bound. If you do the quest you get a free garden plot and cooking station in your home instance (you need it to grow specific plants to make the food) as well as a food converter that lets you convert food into various cooking components. Takes about 2-3ish hours to do from 400 and is worth it for the cooking station alone that also works as a material storage access point.

Countdown for the announcement/live stream Friday is live:
Edit: As the timer counts down the storm slows down and more and more of the background is getting revealed. It started out as a blizzard with white out conditions and now you can make out some characters emerging from the storm. Really cool how they're doing this.

Last edited:

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Countdown for the announcement/live stream Friday is live

Edit: As the timer counts down the storm slows down and more and more of the background is getting revealed. It started out as a blizzard with white out conditions and now you can make out some characters emerging from the storm. Really cool how they're doing this.

Really don't get why they felt they needed to rent out a theater and make a big to-do for this. It was just the next Living World season. That's it. No other substantial or surprising announcements to go along with it that warranted making the announcement more than a blog post. Whatever; I'll still play it eventually.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I guess the did it becaus PAX West is going on this weekend in Seattle also, so the wanted to generate some additional "hype" for GW2... show was ok, new stuff (LS5) is more lore / casual oriented i guess. We will see how much story content they can add when they stay on a 3 month release cadence. They said they have 4 teams, so basically 1 team has 1 year to work on their episode of the living story...

LS5 starts on sept. 17, also as of right now (i think) when you buy the "Path of Fire"-expansion you get the "Heart of Thorns"-expansion for free...

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Really don't get why they felt they needed to rent out a theater and make a big to-do for this. It was just the next Living World season. That's it. No other substantial or surprising announcements to go along with it that warranted making the announcement more than a blog post. Whatever; I'll still play it eventually.

I'm not happy with how over hyped everything was just for the LS announcement that we all knew we were going to get anyway. For context, they hyped this event and teased this upcoming LS more in-game and out than they hyped and teased both expansions and all they could show was a voice over trailer of Jormag and some concept art and the only thing new content wise that I can tell is they're making 10 person bounties that are supposed to be like mini training raids. I knew we weren't getting a new expansion but I did kinda expect a long laundry list of fixes and quality of life improvements ready to roll out the door with surprise announcements to show the community that not only are they listening but that they're rolling in high gear. Didn't really even get that.

I wanted to believe that they were learning and turning a new leaf so much that I turned off my brain and bought into the hype. My headache from waking up early and my disappointment from today will be a reminder to how stupid that was. At least they're being absolutely hammered on Reddit by even their most rabid fanboys so hopefully someone in that company will wake up.

It does look like a good upcoming living world story, though. I've been wanting to explore more Char and Norn stuff since release and going Far North and finding out what happened to the Norn Spirits that sacrificed themselves to slow Jormag will be neat. But like you said it didn't need to go down like this. At all. Just put that shit in a blog post and skip the count down timer with changing background and all the overblown hype.

• 1Solidarity