Guild Wars 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I've only done a handful of fractals and never raids nor strike missions. What do you get from these that's worthwhile? My primary character has full ascended armor + trinkets. So wondering what the incentive is beyond just "to do" them?

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
For the most part they're quick and provide some of the best gold to time invested in the game. They're also the best/fastest/most efficient way to get Mystic Clovers if you're consistently running T4's to buy the 2 clovers a day.

Personally I enjoy(ed) farming the Infinite fractal potions and now working on the God of Fractals Title. Gives me something to do and a sense of accomplishment. The +5 Specific Stat/+9 Agony Infusions you can make too is a good bonus.

Don't know how much gold strikes are but most are fun and facepalm easy. The only two Strikes that are considered raid tier are Boneskinner and Whisper of Jormag, the rest can be 100% pug'd easily with any combination of classes.

i don't know why so many people say weaver is fragile. I do feel like i have to work hard for moderate dps tho.

Condi eles in the harder PvE content have to spec Vipers in order to really satisfy their role as DPS, which drops their survivability significantly.

Well yeah, that's what people are talking about when they talk about Meta and how fragile classes are. Open world PvE content is literally designed to be facepalmed and for everyone to clear it by spamming 1. This includes Hero Point champions, the vast majority of events, and even PvE meta events. I can literally spec my elementalist to tank raids if I wanted to (I used to run a toughness build to kite/tank Vale Guardian) but that shit will get you kicked out of 99% of all squads. Dying also gets you kicked out of squads and so does doing sub par DPS the majority of the time as a DPS class.

This is the problem Ele and several other classes now face and it's the exact reason why literally the vast majority of all T4 groups and similar end game content are comprised of Scorges and Fire Brands with Healbrands as healers and Renegades as Alc Rens. Not only are both classes literally the top DPS classes in the game, but both have the highest survivability in the game. When running end game content, why would anyone want anything less in their groups?

gw039.jpg

Logged in and quickly took a SS as reference.

But yeah, if you're not doing endgame content there is no issue at all regarding Ele being able to survive and do damage. Just don't expect many Fractal, Raid, or Whisper of Jormag groups.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For the most part they're quick and provide some of the best gold to time invested in the game. They're also the best/fastest/most efficient way to get Mystic Clovers if you're consistently running T4's to buy the 2 clovers a day.

Personally I enjoy(ed) farming the Infinite fractal potions and now working on the God of Fractals Title. Gives me something to do and a sense of accomplishment. The +5 Specific Stat/+9 Agony Infusions you can make too is a good bonus.

Don't know how much gold strikes are but most are fun and facepalm easy. The only two Strikes that are considered raid tier are Boneskinner and Whisper of Jormag, the rest can be 100% pug'd easily with any combination of classes.

Well yeah, that's what people are talking about when they talk about Meta and how fragile classes are. Open world PvE content is literally designed to be facepalmed and for everyone to clear it by spamming 1. This includes Hero Point champions, the vast majority of events, and even PvE meta events. I can literally spec my elementalist to tank raids if I wanted to (I used to run a toughness build to kite/tank Vale Guardian) but that shit will get you kicked out of 99% of all squads. Dying also gets you kicked out of squads and so does doing sub par DPS the majority of the time as a DPS class.

This is the problem Ele and several other classes now face and it's the exact reason why literally the vast majority of all T4 groups and similar end game content are comprised of Scorges and Fire Brands with Healbrands as healers and Renegades as Alc Rens. Not only are both classes literally the top DPS classes in the game, but both have the highest survivability in the game. When running end game content, why would anyone want anything less in their groups?

View attachment 368685

But yeah, if you're not doing endgame content there is no issue at all regarding Ele being able to survive and do damage. Just don't expect many Fractal, Raid, or Whisper of Jormag groups.
Here's to hoping the next expansion elites balances the scales so my favorite class is unfairly OP. I'll take fairly OP too

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Hammer Ele doesn’t inspire me with much confidence, lol. I have high hopes too.

I’ll settle for balanced classes though. Necro and Guardian have been ridiculous for far too long and all the other classes are suffering for it.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Twitch is offering 50% off game currently so $15 for both expansions.

I haven't touched this shit since like 2012, but some friends are enjoying it currently so we'll see how long before my gaming add kicks in. Made a tree girl Illidan since I played necro to L58 already apparently.

asdfasdfasd.png

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Ok I hit 80. Played dress up. I feel like this game suffers the same shit I had a problem with in ESO which is the scaling sort of ruins the power progression. At this point why even have levels? Once I wrap up stories (which are so far pretty mediocre) that's probably it since I don't feel the need to catch them all map objectives edition or spend the month(s) trying to craft a legendary. For F2P though the game is probably pretty great since almost everything can be purchased via in game grinding.

hugeweiner.gif

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 368685

See, every time I think I want to come back, I realize how much bullshit is stacked between the game that I loved and where the game is now.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Ok I hit 80. Played dress up. I feel like this game suffers the same shit I had a problem with in ESO which is the scaling sort of ruins the power progression. At this point why even have levels? Once I wrap up stories (which are so far pretty mediocre)
Not sure what you mean. In GW2 you scale down to content in lower level areas. In ESO everything scales to your level (or something). Prepare to get your ass handed to you in Heart of Thorns.

Also, the story is significantly better in the living world releases and expansions.

janessa.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
I find everyone's lack of tramp stamps and tattoos disturbing:

gw050.jpg

This game for all its faults is still an incredibly fantastic game. It's easily one of the best MMOs I've ever played and it's by far the best casual friendly mmo that has ever existed imo.

It's just frustrating knowing that two out of their three main issues (character balance and WvW/PvP being shit) has been on ongoing issue for nearly 9 years now.

As for the story, yeah, the vanilla core tyria story is bad and most of the racial/character stories go nowhere. Jake nails it though with the living world and expansions being significantly better, especially the living world season leading up to PoF, the PoF expansion itself, and the living world season after. I don't think Anets strength is writing about dragons but when they get dark or start writing about gods and immortals they do better. Would really love to see a real GRRM type writer on their team though but that would never happen.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the story gets better with each successive chapter (except perhaps the end of Icebrood, which suffered from having resources drawn off to work on the expansion). That said, I do give props to the Personal Story for the amount of branching they managed to pull off with it. You could easily manage to do three different characters with nearly zero overlap in what story quests they experience (even if all three characters were the same race), and probably a good deal more characters with relatively minimal overlap.

• 2Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Not sure what you mean. In GW2 you scale down to content in lower level areas. In ESO everything scales to your level (or something). Prepare to get your ass handed to you in Heart of Thorns.

Also, the story is significantly better in the living world releases and expansions.

Right and while running around I don't think I was ever within 10 levels of the zone I was in once I left the first area. I just went to whatever zone(s) were adjacent most of the time so I'd be like level 45 in a 1-15 while doing map chores as it didn't appear to matter if I went to the higher areas. All content has been trivial in my experience no matter the expansion but I've not tried to solo dungeons or fractals or whatever. I've even killed a few group events elites solo playing as power renegade geared in exotics ofc.

I'll give some credit that the story seems a little less cliche/trope and the VA aren't as bad the further in that I've gotten.

Also the step up in textures in PoF is night/day compared to Core/HoT. Seems weird they haven't updated the old stuff considering how many people still use all the content and it's the introduction to the game for new players looking like dated poop ;[

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I usually play and do the story then quit. I think the lack of character progression puts me off. It's basically all cosmetic in the end.

I had a blast with this though doing WvWvW with PRX when it launched. Would probably have to find that kind of thing to keep me around longer then finishing any story. Unfortunately the upcoming months are pretty busy gaming wise.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah fashion is always the end game. I paid 60g for a sword skin which cost more than all my actual gear combined hah.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Love the screen shots. GW2 even though it is DX9 is still very pretty. Excellent artists made that game.

• 2Like

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
I believe they are working on dx 11 for either the expac or soon after. There's also a dx11 plugin/addon you can get

ShakyJake

<Donor>
AreaNet definitely has some of the best artists. Mounts for example. Move one around in different directions, jump, etc. and notice all the nuanced animations.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Yeah fashion is always the end game. I paid 60g for a sword skin which cost more than all my actual gear combined hah.
Screen shot or it didn't happen! Also I'm just curious what a 60g sword would look like.

I had a ton of fun running through the stories, the gigantic multi floored zones in that jungle level were crazy. Might be worth it to play through it further, but I never stick around after the main quests are done.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Screen shot or it didn't happen! Also I'm just curious what a 60g sword would look like.

I had a ton of fun running through the stories, the gigantic multi floored zones in that jungle level were crazy. Might be worth it to play through it further, but I never stick around after the main quests are done.

Wanted something that didn't egregiously clip through my armor and when these are shown they just look like vine handles as the glow goes away.

hotdogbuns.jpg

• 2Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
I believe they are working on dx 11 for either the expac or soon after. There's also a dx11 plugin/addon you can get

The beta for the dx11 upgrade actually starts sept 21st
Also the wvw alliance first phase will be starting that week as well.

The addon you can get is a dx9 to dx12 proxy.

My tramp with no stamp
gw029.jpg

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
What would you say

YA DO

In this game? Does it still have that weird spam projectiles while downed stuff