Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wasnt the lady who hung around the one who owned the storage unit? She wanted it back and he wouldnt give it to her. He opened it and let the demon out, she let it kill him. Not sure why everyone is so confused by that.

Finished the first 3 episodes. They do get a little better. Third episode was pretty graphic.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
First episode spends an hour to tell us white people are racist assholes and threw an actual nazi in in case it wasn't subtle enough. Thanks for setting the mood on episode 1 so I know not to bother with anything further.

And holy shit Animosity Animosity , the fucking episode is called Lot 36. The Mexican woman's lot was 87. Even if you didn't catch that, why would a Mexican lady own the Nazi demon summoners lot which was already established to be owned by said demon summoning nazi. Going to criticize others while not following basic plot lines.

Anyway, fuck any director who can't manage to make a short film collection without tossing in an obligatory woke episode. Better people have done this same story in the past "asshole guy gets what is coming to him" and managed to do it without being so heavy handed. Amateur hour

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 5 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Wasnt the lady who hung around the one who owned the storage unit? She wanted it back and he wouldnt give it to her. He opened it and let the demon out, she let it kill him. Not sure why everyone is so confused by that.

Finished the first 3 episodes. They do get a little better. Third episode was pretty graphic.

lol love it when someone says something idiotic while calling people idiots

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Glad I checked this thread before watching

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
First episode spends an hour to tell us white people are racist assholes and threw an actual nazi in in case it wasn't subtle enough. Thanks for setting the mood on episode 1 so I know not to bother with anything further.

And holy shit Animosity Animosity , the fucking episode is called Lot 36. The Mexican woman's lot was 87. Even if you didn't catch that, why would a Mexican lady own the Nazi demon summoners lot which was already established to be owned by said demon summoning nazi. Going to criticize others while not following basic plot lines.

Anyway, fuck any director who can't manage to make a short film collection without tossing in an obligatory woke episode. Better people have done this same story in the past "asshole guy gets what is coming to him" and managed to do it without being so heavy handed. Amateur hour
what a shame. oh well

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

huh I didn't get that all, I just enjoyed Tim Blake Nelson being a closed minded asshole. He owes people money and he just trying to get paid. I did think they took it too far when an actual demon was seen and he was like whelp ignore all that and go get my money.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Hollywood types just can't help themselves. I think a lot of us just ignored it because we all leaned liberal. Now that all that heavy handed animosity is directed our way, it's much more noticable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Only seen the rat one so far. OK but nothing special, seems like they're just focusing on gross instead of scary. Skipped the first one so it wouldnt color my perception of the show overall.

Which is best? Id love to skip right to the best one released so far

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Watched the first 6 episodes. They do get better as it goes on. And each one gets a little more messed up that the previous. 5 and 6 were the best by far, and are the Lovecraft stories so not a surprise. Will watch the final 2 tomorrow when they drop.

Caliane

Yeah first episode was disappointing. Too much time to get going and by the time it does its all over. You would imagine the first episode shown should be one of the better ones to hook the audience. Also as mentioned above they hammer you over the head repeatedly. We get it this guy is a conservative asshole, please stop and get on with the story.
first episode was stupid, plenty of woke takes, although almost mockingly in some places. guy is mean to latina lady. she for some reason hangs around the place for hours even after he's gone, just so that when he happens to come back and can't get out, she can put a lock on a door that's already locked and he can't get out of, just so he extra can't get out I guess?
The moral of the first episode is 'Don't be racist or you'll get murdered by an immigrant'.

Wait, that doesn't seem right ;p

I agree with other posters that it spend waaay too much time on how much of an asshole he is. The story would have played out exactly the same way anyway - if he hadn't been an asshole to the cleaning lady she wouldn't have been there to not let him out anyway.

Still, it was atmospheric, well-shot and acted. Will probably give the others a try.

my favorite part is, he wasn't even a racist. The black super said racist shit to him, and he just responded "hey fuck you". Then the Mexican lady did it as well. and he just said "hey fuck you, if you are going to insult me, do it in English."

They can't help themselves. Imagine it was a Hispanic demon summoner. nope can't do that. its got to be Nazi.
The door at the end was probably intended to be a borderwall referance with how retarded this first episode was. That was probably the entire point.

And yeah, the really should have done a better job with him grabbing the book. like, idk, NOT have the other guy point out the writhing tentacles in her missing face before he does it, etc. Give him a reason to think its still bullshit. or trip, or something...
The guy that is going to pay him, is standing right next to him. its not like he needs to take the book, and deliver it someplace else. He could have just as easily said, well, theres the book. write me a check for 300k please. btw, I'm getting the fuck out of here, you can deal with this shit yourself.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
why did the old man do all that hopping shit before he entered his unit?

episode 1 - skip the first 45 mins, just watch the last 5 mins for CGI horror. i guess, i mean its basically just a video game cut scene
episode 5 - not really a horror story, more a "ugly chicks have feelings too" episode. i kinda liked it but i fast forwarded a lot, both these episodes move SO FUCKING SLOW. Both are 5 minutes of story stretched out to 50 mins. The guy from silicon valley is great. I like the 80s Fargo aesthetic.

dunno if i really wanna watch episode 2, rats kinda creep me out although more from a "they have so many diseases!" aspect than actual scared of them.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

episode 1 - skip the first 45 mins, just watch the last 5 mins for CGI horror. i guess, i mean its basically just a video game cut scene
episode 5 - not really a horror story, more a "ugly chicks have feelings too" episode. i kinda liked it but i fast forwarded a lot, both these episodes move SO FUCKING SLOW. Both are 5 minutes of story stretched out to 50 mins. The guy from silicon valley is great. I like the 80s Fargo aesthetic.

dunno if i really wanna watch episode 2, rats kinda creep me out although more from a "they have so many diseases!" aspect than actual scared of them.
My guess is it was some part of the loop hole he found when he bound the demon.

velk

Trakanon Raider

I mean, that's the least of the unanswered questions about that dude - he succeeds in summoning a demon, and then just leaves it there without getting it to actually do anything ?

What happened there, he suddenly forgot why he was summoning it ? He didn't actually have any reason to summon and just did it for the lols ?

• 1Like

Caliane

yeah. it hinted at mythology and story, but didn't actually explain anything.

first lady, says the candlabra is shit, and worthless. but, is fiddling with the candles, and hands it over. either she did know and was lying, or just was somehow ignorant about them?
she didn't lie when seeing the books, or even the table, so, it'd have been odd for her to lie about the candles. seemed to know exactly what was up with the rest and called the other guy.
the other guy insists the candles are needed for safety... but, they do nothing in the end.. A better version of this story would have had the candles work to protect that guy. Double meaning. 1. that guy OFFERED help, and asshole refused it. hes constantly, "no one ever helps me", but when offered, he turned it away out of spite, and disbelief. 2. rich get richer. have the rich white guy, walk away in the end with everything.
iirc, they said the nazi was a gambler? so yeah, hard to say what the deal was exactly. the book is supposed to burn when the deal is complete. nazi trapped the demon in his sisters body. the book burns when the demon attacks the rich guy. so, that completed the deal I guess? did the demon just eat him, or take his body? I might have missed that.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
Ep 7 was garbage, someone really wants to be Quentin tarrantino but sucks at writing and directing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
first episode was stupid, plenty of woke takes, although almost mockingly in some places. guy is mean to latina lady. she for some reason hangs around the place for hours even after he's gone, just so that when he happens to come back and can't get out, she can put a lock on a door that's already locked and he can't get out of, just so he extra can't get out I guess?
Also if Roland knew so much about the guy who owned the unit why didn't he just buy it himself?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I watched a few of these. First one was awful but some were good.

I liked the Viewing a lot as it absolutely nailed a cool retro visual style. Autopsy was great and Pickman's model was like 50% great.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Thats trademark Guillermo 2nd act transition. Everything is 5 stars and then doesn't carry story pacing to the finish line. Everyone spaces out or just says "ill finish that later".