Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I liked all of this but the last episode with the birds. That was shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm only on episode 5 because some of these are hard to get through. Like others said, way too much build up on inconsequential bullshit only to plop down an ending. Some of them like the first could have been trimmed down to half the length and had more impact.

Overall I liked the autopsy once it got going, although it felt a bit disjointed in the start. The fourth episode was also surprisingly pretty entertaining because at least the pacing was pretty even.

my favorite part is, he wasn't even a racist. The black super said racist shit to him, and he just responded "hey fuck you". Then the Mexican lady did it as well. and he just said "hey fuck you, if you are going to insult me, do it in English."

They can't help themselves. Imagine it was a Hispanic demon summoner. nope can't do that. its got to be Nazi.
The door at the end was probably intended to be a borderwall referance with out retarded this first episode was. That was probably the entire point.

And yeah, the really should have done a better job with him grabbing the book. like, idk, NOT have the other guy point out the writhing tentacles in her missing face before he does it, etc. Give him a reason to think its still bullshit. or trip, or something...
The guy that is going to pay him, is standing right next to him. its not like he needs to take the book, and deliver it someplace else. He could have just as easily said, well, theres the book. write me a check for 300k please. btw, I'm getting the fuck out of here, you can deal with this shit yourself.
Yeah, the first episode could give you a concussion with how heavy handed it was for no logical or narrative reason other than to be something typically Netflix.

The thing is, you could tell that alongside the obvious problems and vices, the guy had enough of a shitty hand dealt to him that it really was laughable at how hard they tried to force him to be the bad guy who got what he deserved.

If any stranger walks up to you out of nowhere claiming you bought something of their's through some fluke and to just take their word on it because the super said so, that's suspicious as hell no matter who you are. Not to mention the absurdity of watching someone get their ass kicked and windows broken, as though that's the perfect opportunity to ask them for anything.

That's where some ambiguity (and brevity for the overall episode) would have been better. When you set up a character to be so cartoonish and make the story's intentions so transparent, it weakens the "reveal" in the end dramatically. Time could have been much better spent building up the mystery of the lot, the old man, the hidden room (how did it get there and how did it get so far?), and eventually leading up to the demon. That's one thing I liked about the fourth episode; you could kind of go either way with the main character's fate, but she wound up getting a happy ending when it could have easily turned out horribly for her.

The demon was also insultingly idiotic because no matter how big a skeptic you are, I would think seeing a hollowed shell of a woman with tentacles coming out of her mouth in the middle of a pentagram is enough of a sign to listen to the guy saying not to cross the barrier.

Overall seems like squandered potential, and echoing what was said earlier, not the best first impression. The second episode at least wasn't so on the nose with the modern shit, but it also could have handled making the main character more morally grey for the ending to hit harder instead of being so obvious.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just finished watching that one. I didn't think it was quite in the spirit of the series, but it was crazy and kinda awesome (much like Mandy). The score was by the same guy who did Uncut Gems
Agree 100%.