Gun control

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Drama drama drama. CO will back down, I'd be shocked if they don't. But even if they don't this is how it is supposed to work. We should all be astounded at the health of our mighty Republic.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Drama drama drama. CO will back down, I'd be shocked if they don't. But even if they don't this is how it is supposed to work. We should all be astounded at the health of our mighty Republic.
I'm pretty sure this is not how it's supposed to work. "*I* don't like what *you* do, therefore we should outlaw it."

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
No, a law is being passed that some people don't like, so they campaign against it. When campaigning doesn't yield appropriate results, either deal with it or take action. Magpul is taking action. This is exactly how it is supposed to work.

We have the "right" to keep and bear arms, we don't have the "right" to 30 round magazines. If CO decides they value stupid principles over economic concerns, that is their business.

MagPul can basically print money right now. I expect that their employees will all be given the option to relocate with most (all?) expenses paid. They make a great product.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Part of a law introduced in MO this week.

4. Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall have ninety days from such effective date to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution:
(1) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state of Missouri;
(2) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or
(3) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency for destruction, subject to specific agency regulations.
5. Unlawful manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale, or transfer of an assault weapon or a large capacity magazine is a class C felony.

A new federal AWB simply will not pass. Not going to happen. As for all the states banning them? That will simply increase the supply in the states that don't ban them. And leave the people in the pro-ban states at a notable disadvantage come time to take out the trash.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That is why the gun control debate frustrates me so much. There is so much shit to do and accomplish. The sequester is going to cost people jobs. We're talking about people's fucking lives here, their children. But instead Congress is masturbating over gun rights. This shit is stupid.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No, a law is being passed that some people don't like, so they campaign against it. When campaigning doesn't yield appropriate results, either deal with it or take action. Magpul is taking action. This is exactly how it is supposed to work.

We have the "right" to keep and bear arms, we don't have the "right" to 30 round magazines. If CO decides they value stupid principles over economic concerns, that is their business.
Actually we have the right to "in common use at the time", according to the SCOTUS. And since the 30 round magazines are everywhere I would say that is common use.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Part of a law introduced in MO this week.

4. Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall have ninety days from such effective date to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution:
(1) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state of Missouri;
(2) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or
(3) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency for destruction, subject to specific agency regulations.
5. Unlawful manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale, or transfer of an assault weapon or a large capacity magazine is a class C felony.
Dont see that getting very far in MO, but stranger things have happened!

Coming from the guy who doesn't know what a loan is, that doesn't mean much.
Oh you cad you !

Fyi, the decision you're quoting that language from (Heller I) dealt with WEAPONS in common use (particularly hand-guns). It did not deal with limitations on magazine size or bans on assault riffles. There currently is a second line of cases brought by the same guy (Heller II) that dealt with assault weapons and limitations on magazine size, that is winding through the courts. The latest ruling was in 2011, and in that ruling, the court UPHELD the DC ban on assault riffles and limit on magazine sizes greater than 11. The case is currently being appealed, so who knows what the SCOTUS will say once they get it. But the current case law suggests that an assault weapons ban and a limitation on magazine size IS constitutional. So if you want to invoke judicial decisions as support for your opinion, it would behoove you to actually brush up on what the courts have actually said. It would have the side benefit of not making you look like a fucking idiot every time you open your mouth.

Summary on Heller II decision

Pertinent parts:

The Appeals Court upheld the DC laws on :

1. AR-15 style so-called "Assault Weapons remain banned,"
2. Ban on 11-plus size ammo magazines,
3. Registration process, for Handguns only, which requires too much
detailed information on both the owner & the firearm. All of these
issues will be challanged higher up at a later date.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I hope states that pass useless feel-good gun laws get fucked by the invisible hand of the market. That's how the united states of America is supposed to work.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was arguing for feel-good measures earlier in this thread when we were talking a temp security presence in schools in NJ following the Sandy Hook shooting. But this shit is diffedrent, I hope these politicians burn for this.

Flank_sl

shitlord
I as anti-gun as they come, but the proposed AWB is just the wrong way to do it. For me it comes down to: the purpose of anti-gun laws should be to prevent people from being shot. The AWB seems to want to make shooters less effective in a gun fight when the problem is not some action movie style gun fight but innocent and defenseless people being murdered.

It really seems like they are just setting gun control up to fail.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
http://mediatrackers.org/2013/02/15/...-in-wisconsin/

Bill introduced in Wisconsin to ban all ammunition that will expand in the human body, which is in conflict with another law that requires expanding type ammunition to be used in hunting. Several states have a non FMJ/ball/hardball ammunition law on the books when it comes to hunting.

The provision in the bill draft that provides whoever intentionally sells, transports or possesses any bullet that expands or flattens easily in the human body is guilty of a Class H felony conflicts with current DNR hunting rules. Under s. NR 10.09 (1)(c)2., 'no person shall hunt any deer or bear with any air rifle, rim-fire rifle, any center-fire rifle less than .22 caliber, any .410 bore or less shotgun or handgun loaded with .410 shotgun shell ammunition or with ammunition loaded with nonexpanding type bullets or ammunition loaded with shot other than a single slug or projectile.' The bill draft does not provide an exception to the prohibition on possessing expanding bullets for deer or bear hunting

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It really seems like they are just setting gun control up to fail.
Exactly this. They know these gun laws wont accomplish what they want but it looks good for reelection(for some). The whole assault weapon portion of this argument is idiotic. Focus back on universal background checks and possibly mags restrictions if you think it will pass in your state but the bans are just a waste of time. Keeps the sequester in the background some though doesn't it? Makes our leader's inaction more of a back story right? They love it when something changes the narrative.

Fadaar

That guy
Until Colt, S&W, and Bushmaster (or rather Freedom Group I guess?) do something like that it won't make a big difference. I do like the idea though and applaud the companies that are doing it.