Gun control

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
New York is a bit of a mystery to me. Take their stop and frisk policy:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...-frisk_program

To me, that sounds like a huge violation of my rights, but talking to friends that live up there, they think it's a (mostly) good idea.

Which goes back to what works for one state might not work in all states I guess. It's annoying that Bloomberg has made it his life's work to regulate everyone apparently, but eh, his money. Whatever makes him happy.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, the stop and frisk thing seems like a gross violation of privacy and civil rights (like 70% of the stops are on black people). I think it is going to or is currently in front of the Supreme Court.

But cameras in public? I thought every city already had this?

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I don't think Dallas does, at least not in most of the city. There are some downtown, but I always figured those were more for the residents of the buildings then the city/police.

We've got traffic cams on some lights, but most of the time you can show up and challenge those and get off so no one really complains.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The way he is framing it is laying the foundation for bad things to come. The basic message is that he knows best and we should just shut up about the bill of rights and go play while the adults are talking. Fuck that guy.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Exactly. This is the man who wants to ban soft drinks of a certain size for your good. He is nothing more than a piece of shit holier than thou I know better than you do so worship me politician, he can go fuck himself.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didn't get that from the article. It looks to me like he is talking about expectations of privacy in public settings.

And come on Phoenixbro, the soft drink thing wasn't about what was good for people.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
http://www.newstimes.com/local/artic...ns-4487385.php

State Police are overwhelmed with requests for background checks to purchase guns in the wake of the Newtown massacre and new gun control laws.

State Police Col. Danny Stebbins said Friday that a backlog in background check requests has exploded to more than 62,000 from about 1,000 in December, a spike of more than 6,000 percent.

"The numbers are way up," Stebbins said, explaining that much of the increase is related to private gun sales, which now require a background check along with sales at a retailer.

"We didn't see this coming and there was no way we could be prepared for it," he said.

State Sen. John Kissel, R-Enfield, a co-chairman of the Legislature's Program, Review and Investigations Committee,said the backlog is alarming.

"That's just outrageous," Kissel said. "We have to serve our law-abiding citizens as well as protect public safety."

The Office of Fiscal Analysis estimates the gun control law will cost taxpayers up to $17 million through the 2015 fiscal year, including more than $4 million for state police to conduct background checks, issue permits and develop and maintain a gun offender registry.
Didn't see it coming huh?

Borzak

FBI_NICS_Background_Checks.PNG

FBI_NICS_Background_Checks.PNG

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
As gun background checks increase, gun crime decreases? I mean, causality and all that shit, but these fucking liberals bro...

Iwazaru_sl

shitlord
As gun background checks increase, gun crime decreases? I mean, causality and all that shit, but these fucking liberals bro...
Not what that chart says at all. There is no context in that post. To make that determination you would need a county by county comparison of background checks vs gun crime rates at the very least. Not to mention that you would want to factor in new gun owners vs previous gun owners, a breakdown of gun types bought vs gun types used in crimes, an age comparison breakdown and a listing of any other new relative laws and programs enacted within that time frame. But hey, if you like trying to use a overly broad and undefined chart as proof your side is right then by all means try. I for one would rather not sound like a retard though.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Not what that chart says at all. There is no context in that post. To make that determination you would need a county by county comparison of background checks vs gun crime rates at the very least. Not to mention that you would want to factor in new gun owners vs previous gun owners, a breakdown of gun types bought vs gun types used in crimes, an age comparison breakdown and a listing of any other new relative laws and programs enacted within that time frame. But hey, if you like trying to use a overly broad and undefined chart as proof your side is right then by all means try. I for one would rather not sound like a retard though.
Mother of god.

Borzak

So how do you want us to read that? Roughly 2x more people buying guns? Roughly 100% increase in background checks? Or roughly 2.36% more background checks overall? (3% of the US population in 2000 vs 5.36% in 2012.)
Chart is nothing more than an increase in background checks, that's all. It's not linked to crime or anything else. All you can draw from that chart is that there has been an increase in background checks. You can't draw a straight comparison between that and the number of guns sold either because if you buy 1 or 100 guns at a time you only have to do one background check. People may be buying more guns at a single purchase. Also in several states (like TX) if you have a concealed carry permit you don't have to have a NICS background check at all. You walk into the gunstore, pick out a gun, fill out the 4473 ATF form and show them your permit and pay and walk out with your gun.

Also I believe in the state of KY the state police run a NICS background check on every concealed permit holder monthly and that doesn't correspond to any firearm sale, so the more people in KY that get a concealed carry permit the more that number goes up even if they don't purchase a gun from a dealer.

Every year the ATF publishes a report that list the number of NEW firearms manufactured in the US and breaks it down by each maker which is somewhat useful if you assume that they all sold or eventually sell. Looking at firearm maker stocks may be helpful as well, companies like Ruger are doing very well.