Gun control

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

i thought it was going to take off from the treadmill, but it didn't. i has a sad. :/

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
violent crime is generally higher in places with less guns wombat.
1) As I said, guns are only 50% of the equation and have a SYNERGISTIC effect when combined with a lack of social infrastructure. You can fill up the Vatican with AR-15's and I don't think it will impact the murder rate that much.
2) Are you seriously going to argue that guns reduce violent crime?
3) Ah yes, the skewed chart that makes it seem like Canada and Europe are more violent than the US. OK!

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
2.) Yes

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

Also in reference to england specifically

No matter how one approaches the figures, one is forced to
the rather startling conclusion that the use of firearms in
crime was very much less [in England before 1920] when
there were no controls of any sort and when anyone, con-
victed criminal or lunatic, could buy any type of firearm
without restriction

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
fanaskin_sl said:
violent crime is much higher i guess maybe not particularly killing

Violent crime worse in Britain than in US | Mail Online
I fucking hate you and fucking morons like you with such a depth of feeling it's almost impossible to describe. You realize that Daily Mail article is THE ONE THAT WAS BEING DEBUNKED IN THE LINK I PROVIDED PREVIOUSLY, RIGHT? No, you probably don't. Because you're a complete fucking imbecile.

"I guess maybe not particularly killing"? Seriously? I mean fucking seriously? The US has a homicide rate 3-4 times higher than the UK, and after claiming it was the opposite, your response is "maybe not particularly"?

I fucking hate you so very badly.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
2.) Yes

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

Also in reference to england specifically
That study doesn't show that more guns= less crime, it shows exactly what I stated-- weak social policy combined with easy access to guns= more deaths. No shit Russia and Belarus have high murder rates despite having banned firearms. The place is massively corrupt and has almost as much of a "have and have nots" rift as the US does.

Also, if more guns= less violent crime, why not permit everybody to own hand grenades? If guns are a deterrent against crime, seems like upping the ante would follow in this trend.

P.S: I would feel infinitely more comfortable walking the streets of London at 3am vs any American city I've visited save maybe Portland and Burlington..

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Even the Brady Center concedes that guns are used to prevent over 100,000* crimes a year in the US.
*Their number, others estimate it much higher, but this is another circumstance where the reporting and statistics are poor

There is a reason guns are called the great equalizer. As far as why not allow hand grenades, you are assuming there is a linear correlation between strength of weapons available to their ability to prevent crimes. I would argue it probably looks much more like a bell curve.

*edit: Of course, then you start getting into the argument of weighting crimes. How many rapes = 1 murder? etc.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Even the Brady Center concedes that guns are used to prevent over 100,000* crimes a year in the US.
*Their number, others estimate it much higher, but this is another circumstance where the reporting and statistics are poor

There is a reason guns are called the great equalizer. As far as why not allow hand grenades, you are assuming there is a linear correlation between strength of weapons available to their ability to prevent crimes. I would argue it probably looks much more like a bell curve.
Well, according to the study Fanaskin quoted "National institute of justice surveys among prison inmates find that the large percentages report that their fear that a victim might be armed deterred them from confrontation crimes"

So logic would then dictate that if a robber is deterred by the possibility that the resident is also armed with a handgun, they would be even moreso deterred if that homeowner had a tripod mounted M60 on their balcony. Well, at least if I was a robber I would be.. So I'm a law abiding citizen and firearms reduce crime, so why not just give people even bigger deterrents? It may not be linear as you stated, but if guns= less crime, and bigger guns= even less crime (even if incremental), then why not?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Bro, you're distracting from the central issue here: fanaskin thought that the UK had a murder rate double that of the US, and when it was pointed out that the US in fact has a homicide rate quadruple that of the UK, his response was "i guess maybe not particularly killing." It boggles the mind.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Bro, you're distracting from the central issue here: fanaskin thought that the UK had a murder rate double that of the US, and when it was pointed out that the US in fact has a homicide rate quadruple that of the UK, his response was "i guess maybe not particularly killing." It boggles the mind.
There wasn't even any subjectivity to his argument-- it was just plain and factually wrong. Even facts aside, you spend one week in England and the reality pretty much paints itself.. Plus he forgot to try and blame all violent crime on the Zionists..

Muurloen

Well, according to the study Fanaskin quoted "National institute of justice surveys among prison inmates find that the large percentages report that their fear that a victim might be armed deterred them from confrontation crimes"

So logic would then dictate that if a robber is deterred by the possibility that the resident is also armed with a handgun, they would be even moreso deterred if that homeowner had a tripod mounted M60 on their balcony. Well, at least if I was a robber I would be.. So I'm a law abiding citizen and firearms reduce crime, so why not just give people even bigger deterrents? It may not be linear as you stated, but if guns= less crime, and bigger guns= even less crime (even if incremental), then why not?
Bro, you can own a pre-ban M60 or an MG-42 if you want. It is called a Class 3 License. Just be prepared to pay over $6000 for a piece of shit MAC-10 at the entry level of class 3 weapons.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Bro, you can own a pre-ban M60 or an MG-42 if you want. It is called a Class 3 License. Just be prepared to pay over $6000 for a piece of shit MAC-10 at the entry level of class 3 weapons.
Interesting to know.. So out of curiosity, assuming the price was more reasonable, do you think allowing the mass proliferation of these types of weapons using the same guidelines and restrictions for current firearms would have a net positive or negative effect on violent crime statistics?

Muurloen

It will make no difference one way or another because they are so rare to begin with. And if those that are out there are used for crime, then the market availability for them will lessen and lessen.

Muurloen

Backing up the the Class 3 license for a sec. IIIC, in Texas along with getting the ATF to sign off on your application, which includes a whole gambit of stuff from finger prints, proving that you can keep your weapon safely stored and among other things, paying like $500 for a tax stamp, you have to also get your Chief Law Enforcement Officer to sign off on the weapon to allow it in their city or county. GL with that.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Backing up the the Class 3 license for a sec. IIIC, in Texas along with getting the ATF to sign off on your application, which includes a whole gambit of stuff from finger prints, proving that you can keep your weapon safely stored and among other things, paying like $500 for a tax stamp, you have to also get your Chief Law Enforcement Officer to sign off on the weapon to allow it in their city or county. GL with that.
We should scrap all that bureaucracy and just ban guns. Smaller, more efficient government awaits.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
That study doesn't show that more guns= less crime, it shows exactly what I stated-- weak social policy combined with easy access to guns= more deaths. No shit Russia and Belarus have high murder rates despite having banned firearms. The place is massively corrupt and has almost as much of a "have and have nots" rift as the US does.
Funny how those corrupt places with such large gaps between classes seem to have the worst gun laws.