Gun control

khalid

Unelected Mod
Don't, just fucking don't, bring this up again. Do we really want Soysauce repeating his silly strawman for another 20 pages?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=423

The Second Amendment Foundation today won a significant victory for concealed carry when the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals let stand a December ruling by a three-judge panel of the court that forces Illinois to adopt a concealed carry law, thus affirming that the right to bear arms exists outside the home.

The ruling came in Moore v. Madigan, a case filed by SAF. The December opinion that now stands was written by Judge Richard Posner, who gave the Illinois legislature 180 days to "craft a new gun law that will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment.on the carrying of guns in public." That clock is ticking, noted SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb.

"Illinois lawmakers need to create some kind of licensing system or face the prospect of not having any regulations at all when Judge Posner's deadline arrives," Gottlieb said. "They need to act. They can no longer run and hide from this mandate."
In December, Judge Posner wrote, "The right to 'bear' as distinct from the right to 'keep' arms is unlikely to refer to the home. To speak of 'bearing' arms within one's home would at all times have been an awkward usage. A right to bear arms thus implies a right to carry a loaded gun outside the home."

khalid

Unelected Mod
Borzak, do you live in Illinois? Could you please verify your state of origin before commenting on other state's politics?

I really hope they do something. I spend quite a bit of time in Illinois and would be nice to carry when I am there. I think they will keep delaying though, and at best pass something as restrictive as california's. My dad was saying they keep trying to attach the CC stuff to an AWB.

Borzak

No I don't live in Illinois lol. My official state of residence is TX and I own a home/land also in MS and LA.

I read the ruling earlier and they can still put a lot of restrictions on it. I'm guessing they make getting one difficult and the requirements high enough that they won't honor a conceal carry permit from another state.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Borzak, do you live in Illinois? Could you please verify your state of origin before commenting on other state's politics?

I really hope they do something. I spend quite a bit of time in Illinois and would be nice to carry when I am there. I think they will keep delaying though, and at best pass something as restrictive as california's. My dad was saying they keep trying to attach the CC stuff to an AWB.
Problem is at the end of the day they kill it with red tape, much like in DC. Yeah they can technically own handguns, but going through the hoops to get one is beyond idiotic.

Borzak

The ruling specifically listed what they can restrict and what they can't. It won't be that bad, but there's no ruling that they have to honor another states permit.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It won't be that bad, but there's no ruling that they have to honor another states permit.
For sure, but I could probably take the Illinois CC class assuming it isn't made to residents only. Or I could switch my residence to IL and take it since I own land there anyway.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You might remember earlier I posted about the WA purposed AWB that included a provision that allowed the sheriff a yearly warrantless search of your house if you owned basically any semi-automatic weapon.

Thankfully that bill appears to be DOA. The three senators that sponsored the bill have all distanced themselves from it claiming they didn't know the provision was in the bill and that they "should have vetted the bill more closely." (This is despite the fact that this is the third time one of the senators has introduced an AWB with that exact language it in). Now the bill has zero chance of getting through our state senate even if they remove the warrantless search provision. Either way the Republic of Seattle isn't getting our guns, mainly thanks to the incompetence of those who wanted the ban in the first place.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...neat24xml.html

Borzak

They may or may not have known. Lots of staff write large chunks of bills and/or farm those out to big supporters on a specific topic and only clean it up.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
There is now only one legal gun store in Mexico -- in Mexico City -- and buyers must wait months for approval of purchase from the Ministry of Defense. Purchases are limited to small caliber, non-military weapons that must be kept at home; semi-automatic weapons are only sold to military and police.
http://www.fronterasdesk.org/news/20...ican-gun-laws/
rrr_img_15353.png

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Mexico is just fucking itself. It's already a useless shitty country, and now they're just a making tourists scared to go. Lol. Let them eat beans!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Again, NO ONE thinks that the NY law is going to have NY cops going into MO and taking guns. You keep throwing out that silly strawman.
Wouldn't be so sure about that. Not exactly what you said, but don't forget bloomberg using his authority in NY to run stings on gun stores in other states. So there's no telling how he will choose to interpret a new law.

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/gun-de...eration/38864/

Borzak

Not sure if this was posted yet:
He was hired as a NRA news contributor.

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/colion...Save+Lives%29#

The NRA has announced that Colion Noir is going to be their newest contributor to NRA News.

If you're part of the Youtube gun community at all you've certainly seen some of Noir's videos where he breaks down gun arguments into easy to understand terms and cut through stereotypes. Noir has over 82,000 subscribers on Youtube and over 6.7 million views on his videos.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I'm going to ask this question, and it's going to rustle the shit out of some jimmies, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Hypothetically, if more stringent requirements (ie pass a federal gun safety class and more thorough background check system) were implemented for a general license to purchase, carry, conceal and own weapons above, say, strictly defined home defense weapons/hunting weapons (pump action SG or hunting rifle), would a federal mandate on CC and removal of the FOPA ban on full automatics be worth the trade? I consider it a deal with the devil, to a degree, but a shall-issue permit and positive affirmation of the right to own such weapons (provided no compelling interest against, such as you are a carjacker or insane) is a compelling trade.

I think I would be for it, personally.

Tummysticks

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I'm going to ask this question, and it's going to rustle the shit out of some jimmies, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Hypothetically, if more stringent requirements (ie pass a federal gun safety class and more thorough background check system) were implemented for a general license to purchase, carry, conceal and own weapons above, say, strictly defined home defense weapons/hunting weapons (pump action SG or hunting rifle), would a federal mandate on CC and removal of the FOPA ban on full automatics be worth the trade? I consider it a deal with the devil, to a degree, but a shall-issue permit and positive affirmation of the right to own such weapons (provided no compelling interest against, such as you are a carjacker or insane) is a compelling trade.

Nope
rrr_img_15689.jpg

Borzak

The CO bill that has passed the house and is almost guaranteed to pass the senate would ban a large number of semi auto and pump shotguns because language in the bill says any firearm that the magazine can be converted (regardless if it is or not) to hold X number of rounds. According to the deal I saw by a lawmaker that would include most modern pump and semi auto shotguns that could use a tube extender.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The CO bill that has passed the house and is almost guaranteed to pass the senate would ban a large number of semi auto and pump shotguns because language in the bill says any firearm that the magazine can be converted (regardless if it is or not) to hold X number of rounds. According to the deal I saw by a lawmaker that would include most modern pump and semi auto shotguns that could use a tube extender.
Democrats really dont like being in power.

How about we remove the dangerous people from society and stop letting dangerous people back out into society?