Gun control

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Any hunters that stop visiting will be replaced quickly by new ones. Hunters generally aren't affected by not having access to 30 round magazines. Personally, I haven't needed more than one rifle bullet on any hunt since I was 15.

And they've got weed businesses springing up like weeds, so I doubt a lone gun manufacturer is going to make a dent in their tax base.

Ben_sl

shitlord
It's not about hunting, it's about keeping our freedom from corrupt government.
Hello read the fucking Constitution.

Like it really matters; the bill of rights have been infringed upon so much already we might as well wipe our ass with it

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Any hunters that stop visiting will be replaced quickly by new ones. Hunters generally aren't affected by not having access to 30 round magazines. Personally, I haven't needed more than one rifle bullet on any hunt since I was 15.

And they've got weed businesses springing up like weeds, so I doubt a lone gun manufacturer is going to make a dent in their tax base.
I think you may have been right in 1994. I'm pretty plugged in to the hunting community having previously been a wildlife biologist, still have lots of friends who work as biologist/techs, and know a few who have hunting related shows on the outdoor channel. I think things have changed since the 1994 assault weapon ban. I expect you will see a much larger push than most people expect.

When people who have 10+ years of preference points and just let them expire I say that's a pretty big deal. I talked to a campground owner near Durango late last week when I cancelled reservations for late July where I had planned to basecamp for a 2 week backpacking trip into the Weminuche wilderness area and they said they had already seen a number of cancellations and that doesn't include hunters yet, just campers and travellers.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
It's not about hunting, it's about keeping our freedom from corrupt government.
Hello read the fucking Constitution.
Well my response was limited to Phoenix's comment. The constitution leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and their legislation falls squarely into grey areas that haven't been addressed by the supreme court. I doubt it will go unchallenged in the years to come.

When people who have 10+ years of preference points and just let them expire I say that's a pretty big deal.
That does sound serious, but this is anecdotal. It has become a highly partisan issue during a highly partisan period for our nation. If a trend does exist, I don't think it will last.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well my response was limited to Phoenix's comment.The constitution leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and their legislation falls squarely into grey areas that haven't been addressed by the supreme court. I doubt it will go unchallenged in the years to come.
Its also a living, breathing document surrounded by penumbras too, right?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Can you at least use consistent stereotypes? Why would a living, breathing (mundane) document be surrounded by a penumbra ala a sacred icon?

In any case, I didn't imply my leanings either way. That there are vague elements to the constitution that require judicial review is not in dispute. Several appellate courts exist almost entirely to correct the interpretation of these elements.

Borzak

Well my response was limited to Phoenix's comment. The constitution leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and their legislation falls squarely into grey areas that haven't been addressed by the supreme court. I doubt it will go unchallenged in the years to come.

That does sound serious, but this is anecdotal. It has become a highly partisan issue during a highly partisan period for our nation. If a trend does exist, I don't think it will last.
I think you are dead wrong. The CO DOW (Department of wildlife) says that hunting has a $800million impact on CO each year. I talk to hunters and know hunters (and am one) and I think it's going to have an impact. The CO DOW has already said they have had a decline in request for application books. Several hunting shows filmed in CO are already leaving and the outdoor channel announced last week they would no longer feature shows filmed or produced in CO, and the shooting sports foundation had a release of two studios leaving CO and relocating to New Mexico. I think people widly underestimate how much gun owners are on board together now.

Take a top of the line elk hunt where an out of state hunter pays up to $20,000 for a week long hunt, it doesn't take many of those backing out of buying a landowner tag driectly from a rancher to have a huge impact in a rural area where many people make most of their money in a short time frame. Even if demand drops any price reduction in a a landowner tag is pure profit right out of a ranchers pocket and thus the guides, cooks, packers etc... take a huge hit.

Don't forget it's not just magazine capacity laws that are being signed. The other is the mandatory background check on a face to face sale, which basically won't be enforcable without registration which is objectionable to a lot of gun owners.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Don't give him too much credit. He knows his political situation well and if he hadn't killed it, I think he would have found himself fighting real hard for re-election in his home state.

Anyway, still good news. The look on Feinstein's face is almost worth the ammo shortage we've had to endure because of that twat.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I think you are dead wrong. The CO DOW (Department of wildlife) says that hunting has a $800million impact on CO each year. I talk to hunters and know hunters (and am one) and I think it's going to have an impact. The CO DOW has already said they have had a decline in request for application books. Several hunting shows filmed in CO are already leaving and the outdoor channel announced last week they would no longer feature shows filmed or produced in CO, and the shooting sports foundation had a release of two studios leaving CO and relocating to New Mexico. I think people widly underestimate how much gun owners are on board together now.

Take a top of the line elk hunt where an out of state hunter pays up to $20,000 for a week long hunt, it doesn't take many of those backing out of buying a landowner tag driectly from a rancher to have a huge impact in a rural area where many people make most of their money in a short time frame. Even if demand drops any price reduction in a a landowner tag is pure profit right out of a ranchers pocket and thus the guides, cooks, packers etc... take a huge hit.

Don't forget it's not just magazine capacity laws that are being signed. The other is the mandatory background check on a face to face sale, which basically won't be enforcable without registration which is objectionable to a lot of gun owners.
Exactly, Finding out if we got out of state Elk tags was a big deal every year for the guys in the family. I wont even apply next year.

Borzak

The retardation continues. Governor Cuomo in New York said they are going to ammend the SAFE act so that citizens can posses 10 round magazines but only load a maximum of 7 rounds at certain places like a gun range. He said they spent more time on the bill than they did the budget which is pretty funny considering it wasn't seen publicly till they voted on it. Anyway apparently they just came to the realization that you can not purchase 7 round magazines fo rmost firearms (excluding the 1911) so they want to allow 10 round magazines but limit you to 7 rounds in them.

Unless they change the penalties from the original bill an arrest and conviction for having 8 rounds in a 10 round magazine would result in an automatic loss of the right to own and purchase a firearm in the state of New York.

http://m.timesunion.com/tu/db_39924/...ps=3&full=true

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
I really have a hard time understanding why magazine capicity is such a big deal and what does it have to do with anything...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Because politics in America is about perception, not reality.

Just look at how they treated marijuana to tax it and then to make it illegal for a good example. This is how the government operates. Token measures meant to convince people you care enough to win the next election. That's literally it. Its just that simple.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
fucking 4th circuit of appeals overturned woolard case in maryland
frown.png
. fucking cert before supreme court for same case out of 2nd circuit court of appeals in new york.

frown.png

Borzak

I really have a hard time understanding why magazine capicity is such a big deal and what does it have to do with anything...
What? You mean you don't understand. With this law a person who has a bunch of 10 round magazines who is going to go on a mass shooting spree will only load 7 rounds in each because they don't want to become a crimminal for having too many rounds in a magazine while shooting a bunch of people.

Ben_sl

shitlord
What? You mean you don't understand. With this law a person who has a bunch of 10 round magazines who is going to go on a mass shooting spree will only load 7 rounds in each because they don't want to become a crimminal for having too many rounds in a magazine while shooting a bunch of people.
Why don't they just make a law that makes shooting a bunch of people a crime?
Wouldn't that fix everything?