Gunman opens fire at Oregon mall outside of Portland

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Reading comprehension fail on, "you've got a great defense," to mean that now nothing bad will ever happen.
That's assuming a lot. More people with guns doesn't mean they will react properly to the situation.

But I always think banning guns will only put guns in the bad guys hands.

It's not hero worship, it's a sense of values. The idea that your money is yours, your possessions are yours, and you're free to pursue the things in life that make you happy without the government limiting that.

The first time I ever drove, I was 15 years old. I went to help my grandfather bale hay for the summer and one day he needed me to drive the truck, with a rake attached to the back of it, because we were changing fields. The truck was a stick shift, so I had to figure out how to not only shift gears, but get the truck to the other field in the same time it took him to get the tractor there. It was one of the scariest, but also greatest experiences I had that summer. I also broke the law, a law that would've prevented me from having that experience had I obeyed it. "Sorry gramps, you're going to have to walk back and drive this for me, because I'm not old enough to drive alone!" LOL.

That experience gave me a lot of confidence and also showed me that my grandfather trusted me to do things I didn't think I was ready for.

You make it sound like I believe what I believe because some "fatass" said it, when the reality is that I believe what I believe because I've lived it. This isn't directly related to my example, but the truth is that you're never going to experience the best this world has to offer living in safety, behind the fence of limitations you claim make you more free.
Yeah, you bumblefucking around with your grandfather is a really great counter-argument totraffic laws. I mean jesus CHRIST are you serious?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, you bumblefucking around with your grandfather is a really great counter-argument totraffic laws. I mean jesus CHRIST are you serious?
I don't even think he was breaking any traffic laws there anyway. I know when I was 12 my dad took me out to an old country road and taught me how to drive a stick shift. That broke some laws but I don't care, I still fully support traffic laws.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't even think he was breaking any traffic laws there anyway. I know when I was 12 my dad took me out to an old country road and taught me how to drive a stick shift. That broke some laws but I don't care, I still fully support traffic laws.
It would have only been when he was on a public road briefly to cross from one field to another. Vehicular laws regarding registration, insurance, licensing and everything else only apply to vehicles on public roads. Not private land.

I learned to drive stick working summers for my dad. We needed some material from the shop 10 blocks away, so the journeyman tells me to hop in the 1-ton diesel flat deck to go get it. I'm like "dude, I'm 14. I have my learner's permit and can drive fine, but I've never driven a standard before." His response was "you'll figure it out."

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I am a gun person. I grew up around guns and they have always been part of my life. I have a gun collection that a lot of people would be terrified of, many AR's, Hunting Rifles, .22 rifles, target rifles, Semi auto shotguns, O/U Shotguns, semi auto pistols, revolvers, target pistols etc. My collection is also about half of that of many people i know. Guns are just much more prolific once you get out of the major urban areas of the NE and west coast.

I spend a significant amount of my free time doing stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QXL40_G_Fxk

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QXL40_G_Fxk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The problem that gun people have with gun control legislation and talk is that 90% of the time the people that make the laws dont know a damn thing about guns. These laws always single out the "scary" looking black guns that they all assume are full auto machine guns because they look similar to what the military uses. The reality is that it is illegal for any civilian to own a full auto weapon that was manufactured after 1986, and any weapon manufactured prior to 1986 requires a class 3 FFL which costs about 5 grand and 5 years worth of paperwork. Even with a class 3 FFL the cost is so high that it excludes 99% of the population. A vietnam era M16 (full auto AR-15) goes for about $25,000 and the ATF oversees the transfer of ownership.

So now you have people wanting to ban any semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine, well there goes 75% of the .22 rifles that we grew up rabbit/squirrel hunting with. There goes ALL of the rifles that my hobby is built around. You end up with legislation like the early 90's AWB that effectively does nothing.

This is why gun owners start to go a little crazy when these conversations come up. As so many people in this thread have said, it is a social/economic problem and not a gun problem. So hopefully the anti gun folks will take some time to educate themselves and we can find a real solution to keep things like this happening.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
While i agree with you thorne i think this entire conversation is going to benefit from the recent ruling in Illinois about conceal carry as a given right outside the home guaranteed in the 2nd amendment and the Wollard case in the 4th circuit out of Maryland which will most likely determine what constitutes reasonable restrictions and training requirements.

I to am a gun owner live in maryland and have a conceal carry under out states current restrictive laws, which required me receiving a threat to my life and my wife before i was not automatically denied and it still took 5 months and harassing calls and finally a complaint to the captain of the handgun unit that "hey fuckhead my life is threatened and you are jerking around with that." i mean shit i had a protective order and everything documenting it.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Sheriff on TV now.

Shooter was 22yo male, used a stolen AR-15.

The fucking piece of shit killed a 45 year old man and 51 year old woman. 15yo girl in hospital. I don't know anything about the woman, but the man was a friend of an aquaitence. He was a husband and father.

They are estimating there were 10,000 people in the mall at the time of the shooting.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
You are all motherfucking insane if you think any mouthbreather should be allowed to own any kind of firearm. You should only be allowed to own one after you complete your military duty. I know a single person that owns a firearm (pistol) but the dude's been in the french legion. I never heard gunfire and hope I never do.

Here's how the civilized world does it :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19641398
http://rt.com/usa/news/us-germany-85-shots-022

Itzena_sl

shitlord
And again~
rrr_img_1585.jpg

rrr_img_1585.jpg

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
This Sheriff spokesman is great. The press keeps fishing for a 'military assault weapon' soundbyte and he's not biting.

Repoter: So the gunman used a miltary style weapon...
Sheriff: We never characterized the weapon as 'military' it was an AR-15 semi automatic rifle.
Reporter: So how would you characterize that weapon?
Sheriff: It was a semi automatic rifle

Sheriff: He was wearing load bearing vest
Reporter: Can you describe what that is?
Sheriff: It is a vest that carries a load

Jait

Molten Core Raider
There's a reason why free-speech and the press wax and wane. They do shit like this (and like what News of the World did) until were all so fed up that we want to hang them in the streets and restrict their rights. Then a dictator takes over and we wonder why they didn't tell us.

Rinse and repeat. Fuck the press the past 70 years.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Everyone sees web/molle gear and thinks body armor. Actual plates and body armor are fucking expensive and not many people buy them. Web gear/plate carrier looks scary I guess.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
The FBI and some other law enforcement agencies in the US classify this kind of behaviour; 4+ murdered at once, ie bombing or indiscriminate shooting is a mass murderer. Spree killer is 2+ targets, serial killer it has to be 3+ murders over a prolonged period of time. 1 person = criminal homicide, of which there are many classifications ( manslaughter, murder etc ).

There have been roughly 65 mass and spree murderers opening fire on people in the US since 1982. With 200 ish known serial killers, 25 unknown in the last century.

So about one person per million arrives at the conclusion, whatever their reasons, that they must murder multiple people and actually does it. Hardly seems like an issue worth addressing.

The FBI's own Uniform Crime Report and Supplementary Homicide Report has 540274 criminal homicides since 1980, with 341945 being solved, indicating that in the US there is a roughly 1 in 18,000 chance of being murdered and a 33% chance the killer will not be found. IE, who gives a fuck about mass shootings when 'generic' crime is more dangerous.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yes, that's the point. We don't have a gun problem, we have a societal/cultural problem. The violence will happen, with or without the guns. It's so obvious that people and their desire to kill others, whatever that may be, is the problem here, not what they are wielding. I mean that much is painfully obvious, yet this retarded gun debate that's been raging forever will continue forever.
citation needed

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You are all motherfucking insane if you think any mouthbreather should be allowed to own any kind of firearm. You should only be allowed to own one after you complete your military duty. I know a single person that owns a firearm (pistol) but the dude's been in the french legion. I never heard gunfire and hope I never do.

Here's how the civilized world does it :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19641398
http://rt.com/usa/news/us-germany-85-shots-022
LOL, you just linked an article with a graph that is one of the best arguments against the effectiveness of gun control that anyone can make.

Chart from above BBC article:

_62993691_firearms_offences_624gr.gif

You know what year the UK banned all handguns? 1997. Worked great didn't it?

_62993691_firearms_offences_624gr.gif

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I was making a broader point in which my example just happened to involve driving a truck. I never said traffic laws were bad. And I'm on record saying that traffic laws are good, so...y so mad bro?