Gunman opens fire at Oregon mall outside of Portland

Diazepane_sl

shitlord
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imp_of_the_Perverse

We have a task before us which must be speedily performed. We know that it will be ruinous to make delay. The most important crisis of our life calls, trumpet-tongued, for immediate energy and action. ... It must, it shall be undertaken to-day, and yet we put it off until to-morrow, and why? There is no answer, except that we feel perverse, using the word with no comprehension of the principle. ... [Then] The clock strikes, and is the knell of our welfare. At the same time, it is the chanticleer-note to the ghost that has so long overawed us. It flies?disappears?we are free. The old energy returns. We will labor now. Alas, it is too late!

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Tread carefully, seeing as the only major disruption to the veritable paradise known as Norway in recent times has been an overly xenophobic right-wing extremist. Just a friendly reminder.
Eh, fuck off. Far left extremists are quite capable of violence and have a far longer history of violence in Europe. Just a friendly reminder.

terrorism.png

terrorism.png

terrorism.png

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Armed teachers are not a good idea. What makes the immune to mental issues?

I'm casting my vote with fixing this on a social level. It needs to be ingrained on the most basic of levels that this shit is wrong.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Thank god for gun free school zones, it sure stopped that killing spree! Ohh wait...

Its sad so many people go crazy this time of the year and its terrible innocent people have to pay the price for a few being pieces of useless shit in life.

Fyro

Golden Squire
In any business, and yes, education is a business, those in charge of carrying out the most basic roles are defined as technicians. As far as education is concerned, teachers are technicians. Their job is to carry out the every day responsibilities of education.

While technicians are the most essential part of any business, they're also the most adverse to change. They like everything to stay the same, they like being in a routine, and they hate when people stick their nose into the day-to-day. There's nothing wrong with this either, it's the way things work.

However, nothing ever improves unless the boat is rocked and the technician is ultimately annoyed/bothered/put out. So, to say that non-teachers should keep their noses out of education reform shows a misunderstanding of how a business, organization, operation functions. Teachers should definitely have input, as they have the most experience, but to say no one else should have a say is as silly as saying no teachers should have a say.

tl;dr

Both teachers and non-teachers alike should have equal opportunity to rock the boat. In our education system, the boat needs to be rocked.
Sounds like I get to still make decisions and have influence on gun-policy laws then. As I have never shot a gun, and as I assume you have never taught a class we are equally ignorant.

As this discussion has nothing to do with Education reform I will keep it brief, fuck that noise.

Also, gun-education in schools are you seriously that far behind the times? WE TEACH TO THE TEST. When policy makers decide that gun-education will be the criteria we are hired/fired upon then you will see it show up in the curriculum.

*And before you spout off some stupid shit. No I don't think we should teach to the test. Obviously there is a plethora of information we should impart on the next generation, but it doesn't and cannot happen with the current laws we have in place.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
as someone said earlier in a different thread (can't remember where or who), but giving teachers guns is the first step to an incident where someone forgets to lock up their weapons and you end up with a kid picking up a gun and "playing" with it. OR an incident where we end up watching on the news how a teacher shot one of their students. we ALREADY have viral videos of teachers hitting their students... do we really need to introduce guns into the mix?

there needs to be SOME security at schools, but americans hate learning as it is... we can't turn schools into prisons. i don't know what the answer is, but i don't think it's going to be solved in our schools.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Our gun-related homicide rate is 15x higher than Germany's. German teachers must be packing heat.