Gunman opens fire at Oregon mall outside of Portland

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No gun ownership in Japan but 5-6X a year someone does a mass poisoning or runs down a street randomly stabbing half a dozen to a dozen people. Crazy fuckers use what ever they can get there hands on. Few years back a psycho cunt here drove up on a busy sidewalk for a block and a half, killed 2 including an infant injured 15.

If they really wanna lower the number of mass shootings, STOP GIVING OUT THE ASSHOLES NAME ON EVERY TV CHANNEL WHEN HE DOES IT, the crazies wanna go down as famous.
Yeah, but per capita, Japan has some really low crime rates though. I agree with you that crazy will be crazy. And they will find ways to hurt people if that is what they are after.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
No gun ownership in Japan but 5-6X a year someone does a mass poisoning or runs down a street randomly stabbing half a dozen to a dozen people. Crazy fuckers use what ever they can get there hands on. Few years back a psycho cunt here drove up on a busy sidewalk for a block and a half, killed 2 including an infant injured 15.
It's ridiculous to use such incidents as some sort of equivalent counterpoint to US gun violence. The reality is that the US murder rate is pretty much double to quadruple what it is in most other developed countries, and gun violence is generally an order of magnitude higher. Yes, if someone truly wants to cause others harm, they're probably going to find a means of doing so. But when your country has a murder rate comparable to Yemen, Palestine, Laos, Turkmenistan and Niger amongst others you really need to take a step back and realize you sound like an idiot pulling out isolated examples of mass violence from other countries with murder rates a fraction of yours.

United States: 4.2 homicides per 100k
Japan: 0.3 homicides per 100k

Keep in mind I'm not saying that gun control or lack thereof is the sole or even a major reason for the difference in murder rates in Japan and the US. It just chaps my ass when I hear people make idiotic statements along the lines of "yeah but if he couldn't buy a handgun he'd just murder 15 people with a hunting knife instead!" The US has a bunch of problems that cause it's high murder rate, many of them having nothing to do with guns.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Banning assault rifles would be pointless because like <1% of murders are done with assault rifles. Is the goal to prevent killing or ban things that sound scary? If you really want to reduce the US murder rate you would be legalizing drugs and trying to stamp out poverty.

Off the Left_sl

shitlord
It just chaps my ass when I hear people make idiotic statements along the lines of "yeah but if he couldn't buy a handgun he'd just murder 15 people with a hunting knife instead!" The US has a bunch of problems that cause it's high murder rate, many of them having nothing to do with guns.
Yes, that's the point. We don't have a gun problem, we have a societal/cultural problem. The violence will happen, with or without the guns. It's so obvious that people and their desire to kill others, whatever that may be, is the problem here, not what they are wielding. I mean that much is painfully obvious, yet this retarded gun debate that's been raging forever will continue forever.

It's ridiculous to use such incidents as some sort of equivalent counterpoint to US gun violence. The reality is that the US murder rate is pretty much double to quadruple what it is in most other developed countries, and gun violence is generally an order of magnitude higher. Yes, if someone truly wants to cause others harm, they're probably going to find a means of doing so. But when your country has a murder rate comparable to Yemen, Palestine, Laos, Turkmenistan and Niger amongst others you really need to take a step back and realize you sound like an idiot pulling out isolated examples of mass violence from other countries with murder rates a fraction of yours.

United States: 4.2 homicides per 100k
Japan: 0.3 homicides per 100k

Keep in mind I'm not saying that gun control or lack thereof is the sole or even a major reason for the difference in murder rates in Japan and the US. It just chaps my ass when I hear people make idiotic statements along the lines of "yeah but if he couldn't buy a handgun he'd just murder 15 people with a hunting knife instead!" The US has a bunch of problems that cause it's high murder rate, many of them having nothing to do with guns.
Wasn't putting that out as a pro or con anti-gun statement, just pointing out crazy fucks with a mind for murder carry it out. Also be careful quoting japan crime statistics, when I was there a string of headless bodies found in a parking lot were all ruled suicides (everyone knew they were Yakuza hits). We can point out the accuracy of the government claims about Fukushima accident or it being rated one of the worst countries regarding human trafficking of sex workers while the Japanese government claims no such thing happens there. just sayin.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Wasn't putting that out as a pro or con anti-gun statement, just pointing out crazy fucks with a mind for murder carry it out. Also be careful quoting japan crime statistics, when I was there a string of headless bodies found in a parking lot were all ruled suicides (everyone knew they were Yakuza hits). We can point out the accuracy of the government claims about Fukushima accident or it being rated one of the worst countries regarding human trafficking of sex workers while the Japanese government claims no such thing happens there. just sayin.
Fair enough, I figured someone might bring that up. Replace Japan's murder rate with any other developed country then. Even Canada, which actually has a similar rate of gun ownership and number of guns (proportionately) to the US has a murder rate two and a half times less. The big difference between the two is the rate of handgun ownership, which is negligible in Canada. Wonder if that might be a piece of the puzzle?

Off the Left_sl said:
Yes, that's the point. We don't have a gun problem, we have a societal/cultural problem.The violence will happen, with or without the guns.It's so obvious that people and their desire to kill others, whatever that may be, is the problem here, not what they are wielding. I mean that much is painfully obvious, yet this retarded gun debate that's been raging forever will continue forever.
That's not the point I was making at all. I conceded that there are lots of societal issues in the US that cause a higher murder rate, but I didn't say that extremely prevalent handgun ownership didn't play in to things as well. It absolutely does. Again, despite people's claims to the contrary, some asshole isn't going to walk in to a mall and stab 20 people to death with anywhere near the frequency of the mass shootings that happen in the US (and fuck you to anyone who posts that one from Japan from a few years ago where some guy pretty much did just that).

Hachiman_sl

shitlord
Here's a good example of meaningful gun control:

If I am diagnosed with epilepsy, my doctor will report my illness to the DMV and I will lose my driving priviledges until my condition is under control.

If I were mentally ill, my doctor could/should be able to do the same thing to prevent me from buying a gun, right?

Wrong, you just need to go to a gun show, no background no waiting period. Good luck getting that reformed. So called "private sales" are not subject to waiting periods or background checks in man states (including Oregon)

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I've had it up to motherfucking here having these motherfucking politicians telling me I can't conceal my motherfucking howitzer.

s_w21_10915096.jpg

s_w21_10915096.jpg

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Here's a good example of meaningful gun control:

If I am diagnosed with epilepsy, my doctor will report my illness to the DMV and I will lose my driving priviledges until my condition is under control.

If I were mentally ill, my doctor could/should be able to do the same thing to prevent me from buying a gun, right?

Wrong, you just need to go to a gun show, no background no waiting period. Good luck getting that reformed.
cars are way more dangerous on per capita basis than guns. Source: (Roger's asshole).

Hachiman_sl

shitlord
By the way, I have absolutely no problem with the average American citizen owning a firearm, but we obviously can be doing a better job of keeping them away from the insane and criminals.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wrong, you just need to go to a gun show, no background no waiting period. Good luck getting that reformed. So called "private sales" are not subject to waiting periods or background checks in man states (including Oregon)
That's a vast over simplification. I went to a gun show last month - you always do a background check when buying from a dealer at a gun show. If you buy from an individual there is no background check, just like if your friend sold you his gun. You almost never see individual sellers at gun shows.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Another problem is that only handguns need to be registered, they should all be registered. And correct me if im wrong, but you have to register the gun at the police station, right? So this could weed out some shady users, especially if doctors had to , by law, disclose to the police that you might be dangerous.

Ellesdee

Molten Core Raider
I live in New Jersey, where I have my firearm purchasing license. I've crossed the border to New York and Pennsylvania to attend gun shows within the last two years, and they definitely do background checks there. In order to sell a firearm, these small business dealers that set up tables have to call to have me approved for any purchase, whether it's a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. Hell I can't even handle a pistol at any store in New York without having a separate purchasing permit with me, being a New Jersey Resident. Perhaps gun shows in other states don't have the same regulations as they do in my Tri-State area.

Curious to see a demo break down of number of illegally v. legally acquired guns used in homicides, as well as the racial statistics of the killer / victims . I think I know the answer, but would like to be proven wrong. (in U.S. ofc)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gun shows are just a hip thing to spout bullshit about. When a gun show gets a reputation for being a place to get guns without background checks, the ATF comes down like the fist of an angry god. I mean literally they are probably the least relevant enforcement agency in the entire country, so the few things that do fall under their purview they pursue very aggressively.

Ellesdee

Molten Core Raider
For a moment it slipped my mind that this thread was about the shooting in Portland, and not gun control. Any update on the events that played out? Tyen?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What do you need body armor for? Hunting with your buddy and scared he might shoot you? Get better friends, or friends who are better shots. Also I would avoid charity bidding where the winner gets to go hunting with Dick Cheney.
Flashback to the beginning of the thread, but I never understood this. Body armor is purely protective, if someone wants to buy it I do not understand limiting them from buying it. And yet at the same time allowing them to buy as many firearms as they want. Shit is mind-bottling.