H1Z1 (Not actually an MMO) - Server: Antidote (info in first post)

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
What? The whole zombie sandbox platform was birthed from a persistent world with Dayz 2 years ago.
Ah, for some reason I was under the impression that DayZ didn't have a persistent world. Still, it does sound like H1Z1 will be doing a lot more with the persistence, but then DayZ has never gotten out of Alpha, so maybe that's an unfair comparison to make.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
This new project H1Z1 looks quite promising but I have to wonder what sort of resources they plan to tie up between this, Landmark, and EQ:Next coupled with continued support on PS2?
Well they all run on the same engine, and it looks like Landmark / EQN / H1Z1 are all gonna be running AI off of StoryBricks, so I imagine a few decent engineers can go a long way on a project like this one. It's not really something that would require a whole new team to be brought in.

roger_sl

shitlord
Zombies are overrated, ps2 engine is excellent, but fucking zombies sucks now, when they could have a new sci fi/western/fallout style of their own style.

I'll give this a shot. If anything it looks like a more polished DayZ which is fine with me. I can't stand the Arma engine.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Zombies are overrated, ps2 engine is excellent, but fucking zombies sucks now, when they could have a new sci fi/western/fallout style of their own style.
These games aren't really about the zombies. They are about mother fuckers like you and you look shady so I'm gonna have to kill you. Zombies are nothing more then (insert mob npc here).

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Game looks like it will be really fun. I'll wait for the FTP option but definitely will be playing it.

W

Wrathcaster

If someone can reproduce exactly what made DayZ awesome- total, absolute freedom to do whatever the goddamn shit you want, with no rules PvP and player corpse looting and some actual survival elements, and it's on an engine that isn't total ass, I'm in. Basebuilding and vehicles are also a must- it's the thing that's holding back DayZ Standalone, and the reason why I'm quickly losing interest in DayZ Standalone- there's just nothing to do other than hunt players/fuck with newbies once you've got enough gear not to starve to death.

I am hesitant, however, when they speak of trading. I like the idea of trading, but I really don't see how it can be done without either safe zones or some sort of auction house/global trade channel. all of which completely break immersion and present huge issues with PvP.

Really, all they have to do is do what DayZ does, but on a better engine, with base building and vehicles, and with support for more players, and they'll probably be able to steal a large portion of the player base fairly easily. I know I'd move.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Surprised to say I really like this look of this. I've been interested in DayZ, but the sheer jankiness has kept me away from the mod and the standalone.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'll see you guys in 2 months when you spent $20 to play a beta that's just a huge gank fest and you've already quit because there isn't actually a point.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
These games aren't really about the zombies. They are about mother fuckers like you and you look shady so I'm gonna have to kill you. Zombies are nothing more then (insert mob npc here).
Well said.

It's funny, I've seen two big complaints the last few years about mmos.

#1- "Why the fuck do we have all these levels? Why can't we just pick up things and do shit right away? I'm tired of mindless grinding and you stringing my sub along."

#2- "I don't care if it's Hello Panda, if the gameplay is fun and engaging, I'll buy it."

Now the argument on forums is "I hate zombies.. played out so I'm not touching it; don't care how fun it is" and "Why don't we have levels in this game?" Sony devs gotta be going "wtf???"

Humans. Go figure.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'll see you guys in 2 months when you spent $20 to play a beta that's just a huge gank fest and you've already quit because there isn't actually a point.
People want a huge gank fest. The ability to build forts, towns etc is what will set it apart. Combining vehicles and in depth crafting with a purpose and I think they will have a hit on their hands. Also zombie games have the best fucking role players period. Those videos in the dayz thread always crack me up.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Sinking in that there are no skills / builds and I am considerably less excited about this now.

Smed really misled me with the SWG references.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Full PVP all the time? No thanks, I played Darkfall and EvE. While it was fun playing in the world of the game, it too was overly rampant on PVP and I would have just been happy playing in the world without having to worry about some player always messing with me all the time.

Thinking they are missing the mark and the potential of subs. I like the idea of a zombie game but with some form of safety and cooperation with other players (way more than what EvE offers. The idea of grouping to protect from other players and not zombies seems like a cop-out! Its going to be just another PVP flash spawning grind. Their goal being players are your biggest threat shouldn't be, then why have zombies?

Hunger, zombie trains and supplies should be the biggest problems! I understand the pvp element but they need to have some control check. Just open pvp will keep a major amount of players away!

And SWG ref, is just that...Reference. Its like having HD label on a bottle of Milk!

Flight

Molten Core Raider
People want a huge gank fest. The ability to build forts, towns etc is what will set it apart. Combining vehicles and in depth crafting with a purpose and I think they will have a hit on their hands. Also zombie games have the best fucking role players period. Those videos in the dayz thread always crack me up.
Don't agree with a lot of this.

There's a subset of people who just want a gankfest. Just like there is a subset of people on UO freeshards whose sole existence is spent lol'ing on the forums at people who don't like being griefed. They keep lol'ing while the player base disperses and then find there's nothing left to play the game for.

In fact full PvP and looting makes a freeshard UO experience a decent analogy to how I am perceiving what's being released about this game. Smed should go play a UO freeshard for a few days and experience how a small number of asshats can screw a game up for an awful lot of people.

Garriott has backed well away from open, full loot PvP for his new MMO. Smed seems a long way behind in terms of experience of this environment. The truth is griefers and gankers are a very small (but vocal) minority of a potential player base. You'll find them on the forums of hundreds of dead servers defending their right to gank player bases who have all but disappeared.

Now if you're talking about an environment with insignificant loot akin to TF2 then that's a different thing. But you try and bastardize a deep crafting system with a game like that then it's like trying to mix milk and oil.

On the bright side the forums for it will be amusing even if we know exactly the kind of complaints that will proliferate before the player base largely disappears. It won't happen straight away but you could pretty much set a countdown for it and watch it happen in stages.

I hope the game turns out nothing like this. I've been massively looking forward to it.

vynde_sl

shitlord
Full PVP all the time? No thanks, I played Darkfall and EvE. While it was fun playing in the world of the game, it too was overly rampant on PVP and I would have just been happy playing in the world without having to worry about some player always messing with me all the time.

Thinking they are missing the mark and the potential of subs. I like the idea of a zombie game but with some form of safety and cooperation with other players (way more than what EvE offers. The idea of grouping to protect from other players and not zombies seems like a cop-out! Its going to be just another PVP flash spawning grind. Their goal being players are your biggest threat shouldn't be, then why have zombies?

Hunger, zombie trains and supplies should be the biggest problems! I understand the pvp element but they need to have some control check. Just open pvp will keep a major amount of players away!

And SWG ref, is just that...Reference. Its like having HD label on a bottle of Milk!
Since Smed is still taking suggestions, I played SWG for years (PRE-NGE) and I loved the pvp flagging system. You could've been neutral, covert under a faction of your choice, or overt under a faction. You were flagged for pvp/attacks from other players/faction npcs when you were overt OR when an NPC (Stormtroopers) stopped-and-frisked you and found out you were from the opposing faction. Under this system crafters/entertainers/etc didn't really need to join a faction and could play the game in peace and it wasn't a huge gank fest.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Don't agree with a lot of this.

There's a subset of people who just want a gankfest. Just like there is a subset of people on UO freeshards whose sole existence is spent lol'ing on the forums at people who don't like being griefed. They keep lol'ing while the player base disperses and then find there's nothing left to play the game for.

In fact full PvP and looting makes a freeshard UO experience a decent analogy to how I am perceiving what's being released about this game. Smed should go play a UO freeshard for a few days and experience how a small number of asshats can screw a game up for an awful lot of people.

Garriott has backed well away from open, full loot PvP for his new MMO. Smed seems a long way behind in terms of experience of this environment. The truth is griefers and gankers are a very small (but vocal) minority of a potential player base. You'll find them on the forums of hundreds of dead servers defending their right to gank player bases who have all but disappeared.

Now if you're talking about an environment with insignificant loot akin to TF2 then that's a different thing. But you try and bastardize a deep crafting system with a game like that then it's like trying to mix milk and oil.

On the bright side the forums for it will be amusing even if we know exactly the kind of complaints that will proliferate before the player base largely disappears. It won't happen straight away but you could pretty much set a countdown for it and watch it happen in stages.

I hope the game turns out nothing like this. I've been massively looking forward to it.
I have to agree. Especially in a survival type game where loot and weapons you have WILL matter. ITs one thing to hop on some BF4 or Planetside 2 and own some noobs. But its entirely different in a game like this.