Half-Life: Alyx

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
How much room do you need to play this game on the Valve Index?

You'll do most of your walking with the analogue stick and hotkeys to turn. Sounds weird but you really get used to it. You basically just need arms length around you so you can crouch, grab low shit, etc.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have room scale set up and in a pretty large room, and while I am playing this game in room scale, Lodi is right you mostly move using your controllers. The only time I find myself using room scale is for firefights, you crouch behind something then physically move left and right to lean and fire.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Sustenance!

Just passed that part. Stayed up way too fucking late. I have never played anything like this before, and absolutely loving it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit. What a game. Just the scale of the city, the puzzles etc. The ending was absolutely incredible. Nothing looks special until you put on a headset and play it. It just works, and it works really well. With continuous movement the gunplay felt perfectly fine.

Props to Valve for taking that risk... What an experience. Bring on 3!

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Playing this with a 1070, actually handling fine.

Really impressive, only thing I'm not feeling is the teleportation, creates this weird "Mist" on crack type of experience.

Firing the handgun is not far off from firing a real one (not sure why I can't carry half emptied mags but whatever)

The headset (I have a standard Vive) starts to wear a bit, my neck is going to be stronger than it already is (and my neck is rated against Black Belt Strangles).

Thinking off ponying up and buying the Index knuckles

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Turn off teleportation and use smooth movement. You may get a little sick initially but you will get used to it with time and its a 100% better experience (if you're not sick that is haha).

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Turn off teleportation and use smooth movement. You may get a little sick initially but you will get used to it with time and its a 100% better experience (if you're not sick that is haha).

Yep, this feels a lot more natural, the Teleport feature feels like cheating and makes the environment feel statically posed.

What are you guys running for your Power Supplies?

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I cant do the smooth movement. It makes me sick. And I NEVER get motion sickness or anything like that, so its weird. I am ok with teleport, I just play more cautiously and decisively.

Either way the game and the environment are tremendous. I havent beat it yet.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
ya, admittedly i am as hardcore of a halflife fanboy as they come but i was totally confused by the lack of an uproar over how amazing this game is. i mean yes it got gushing reviews but so did last of us 2 lol. i think it just goes to show how poor penetration vr still has in the wider gaming market, which is too bad. most story driven single player games i never play again once im done but this one i just hop on in various levels or check out some shit mod someone made just because being in this vr experience is so next level compared to everything else out there.

its also totally ruined basically every other vr thing there is for me. i was using my oculus a lot after i got it, toying with this or that stupid game. after alyx, the only thing i do is occasionally beat saber or pistol whip, then get bored in 5mins

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Got my original Vive back from my brother. Going to play this, this weekend.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
ya, admittedly i am as hardcore of a halflife fanboy as they come but i was totally confused by the lack of an uproar over how amazing this game is. i mean yes it got gushing reviews but so did last of us 2 lol. i think it just goes to show how poor penetration vr still has in the wider gaming market, which is too bad. most story driven single player games i never play again once im done but this one i just hop on in various levels or check out some shit mod someone made just because being in this vr experience is so next level compared to everything else out there.

its also totally ruined basically every other vr thing there is for me. i was using my oculus a lot after i got it, toying with this or that stupid game. after alyx, the only thing i do is occasionally beat saber or pistol whip, then get bored in 5mins
I’m guessing the sales and player base is low? I don’t know anyone with VR except you nerds. No one irl. I know tons of gamers though.

Cybsled

Right. It's an amazing game, that requires you have a nice PC and a nice VR setup. If there were lots of games like Alyx, I think more people would be willing to pony up the money for a VR setup. But currently there isn't enough to justify dropping over 1K on the VR stuff alone, even if you already have the gaming rig PC.

It's a catch-22 problem: No one will adopt VR until the high quality content is there, and no one wants to develop high quality content if the audience isn't there.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Right. It's an amazing game, that requires you have a nice PC and a nice VR setup. If there were lots of games like Alyx, I think more people would be willing to pony up the money for a VR setup. But currently there isn't enough to justify dropping over 1K on the VR stuff alone, even if you already have the gaming rig PC.

It's a catch-22 problem: No one will adopt VR until the high quality content is there, and no one wants to develop high quality content if the audience isn't there.
Right. Then you have to spend $2k on this thing so your gaming actually getting you buff so you can score with the streamer chicks.

• 1Worf

Jozu

Alyx is amazing on Odyssey +.

I did have to cough up 2.8k for laptop and 400 for VR set though.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Breaking the news to my wife that I plan on getting one of those vr treadmills is something I haven’t yet mustered the balls for. I’ll definitely be pushing the ‘it’s good for my heart health’ angle so if there are any good fake websites out there that support my strategy I need to find them

• 1Worf

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I cant do the smooth movement. It makes me sick. And I NEVER get motion sickness or anything like that, so its weird. I am ok with teleport, I just play more cautiously and decisively.

Either way the game and the environment are tremendous. I havent beat it yet.

I don't get sick from it, only thing I noticed is if I look up with my head I start to feel unbalanced, but that's the same as if I hike to the top of a mountain and look over a cliffside, standing disorientation.

Last edited:

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

The only other AAA title I can think of is RE 7, which was exclusively a VR for PS, and the fact that RE is Survival Horror, and the fact that it was platform specific, with a last-second thrown-together competing headset that their was no initial bluster about, crippled the game. Alien Isolation, never got around to implementing theirs either, so the only other two triple A titles, in order to work with VR for the PC, need to a 3rd party to get working like Vorpex (and not working very well), also they're Survival Horror, which limits the interested audience.

Here however, we have one of the most prolific franchises (Along with EQ, Counter-Strike took up much of my teenage years) with an action game, digging in hard and pushing out what so far has been to me, a revolution in games.

If you go on Ebay you can find used VR headsets at reasonable prices, so if you got the PC, it shouldn't be an issue. It's weird to get into though, it's much more encompassing then a video game, where I can just turn my head and look away from my PC. I think it fills a bigger niche than Video Games, and as such it will take a bit longer to develop its audience, even if its the same audience. Honestly, as insignificant a feature as it would appear, it would be nice if you could flip the headset up without taking it off, such that you can momentarily pull yourself out of the game to address whatever's going on around you.

Having said that...my PC keeps crashing on me when I load up Steam VR, I've narrowed it down as much as I can think, and I'm beginning to wonder if its my PSU but I haven't had issues with it in the past (when not playing VR), 750w HX Corsair, that or the RAM, but I've tried an older pair that I had no issues with and not overclocked, and I still run into the same issue.

Jozu

Steam VR is wonky and buggy as fuck. Most times it won't load my library and I just get stuck in the virtual home room with no options to pick.

• 1Like