<Gold Donor>
*Plays VR game with a non-VR mod*

"This game sucks, people who play VR games are dumb."

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I was trying to figure out what the hell you meant by the "Jeff Level" and I finally go there. Definitely some interesting concepts in there that could and probably will be used for horror games. I think I'm almost done with it now but it's very intense.

spronk

FPS noob
cohhcarnage played through the entire game and has VODs up on youtube/twitch, its broken up into 5 parts

He played on the Index which is the highest end commercial system (just released).

I skipped around and watched his and Lirik's playthroughs since I sold my Oculus Rift last year due to just never using it. As a half life fan its definitely worth at least skipping to the last 10-15 mins of the last part to see what happens. It was cool to watch, I don't think I'd really enjoy playing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Prior to playing Alyx I haven't touched VR almost a year. This game is great and exactly what we needed. More like this please.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Makes me want to get a VR headset for my PC. I love VR on my PSVR, but I am guessing I would love full room even more. And from everything I am hearing, this is what true VR gaming is supposed to be like. Problem is, I double my PC gaming area as my home office as well, and also it's a spare bedroom for guests. So there are many times I have tried to wonder where the hell I would place those pods you need.

Hekotat

Makes me want to get a VR headset for my PC. I love VR on my PSVR, but I am guessing I would love full room even more. And from everything I am hearing, this is what true VR gaming is supposed to be like. Problem is, I double my PC gaming area as my home office as well, and also it's a spare bedroom for guests. So there are many times I have tried to wonder where the hell I would place those pods you need.

No pods needed for the Rift S, however, getting a headset at all right now is going to be tough.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
No pods needed for the Rift S, however, getting a headset at all right now is going to be tough.

Yeah I saw some of the pricing. I'll keep at it and see if I can snag a Rift S.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Jesus those prices on eBay... Rift S the best budget VR set? Or best "non-$1000" set? It's usually $399, right?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I have the Vive/Index setup in a spare bedroom as well, I have the lighthouses mounted in corners near the ceiling. Don't take up much space at all (maybe 3" cubed). If you want them even less obtrusive for guests, they can be removed from the mounts in seconds (no tools needed).

They don't need to be equally spaced from your play area, you just want the area covered in the lighthouse's sweep zone. It's not even strictly necessary to have them in opposing corners although that increases the chance you lose tracking in some places (dead zoes where the headset/controller can't see either lighthouse)

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I have the Vive/Index setup in a spare bedroom as well, I have the lighthouses mounted in corners near the ceiling. Don't take up much space at all (maybe 3" cubed). If you want them even less obtrusive for guests, they can be removed from the mounts in seconds (no tools needed).

They don't need to be equally spaced from your play area, you just want the area covered in the lighthouse's sweep zone. It's not even strictly necessary to have them in opposing corners although that increases the chance you lose tracking in some places (dead zoes where the headset/controller can't see either lighthouse)

Hmm... I might be able to make that work. I am guessing Vive's are sold out too ;(

Wait nope: 899.

Wait I think I want this one.

Tracking 2.0?

Another edit: I am looking at the differences now. Seems I want 2.0 - if I am spending $899 may as well throw down 300 more for the latest tech.

Still running a i5 2500 3.3 with a GTX 1070 and 8gb Ram however. That powerful enough?

Last edited:

Hekotat

I saw a video of someone doing test with a low end rig, let me see if I can find it.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i dunno how long it'll stay in stock but you can buy oculus quest right now, 64gb version is more than enough

quest imo is best PC vr solution unless you are gonna dedicate a room to VR then Index is best. Quest runs completely standalone for some (many?) Oculus games, it has a built in cpu like a phone (meh quality of course). For the rest, you can hook a single USB-C cable to it and it'll run most SteamVR/Rift/etc games. Best of really both worlds, obviously visual quality isn't as good as Index but standalone has gotta be nice.

I had a Rift from the kickstarter days for the longest time, they upgraded for free me to the launch version, but ultimately I ended up trading it and the controllers into amazon for $225. I just honestly prefer playing games without a HMD, I find them too uncomfortable to play longer than an hour or so max.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How much room do you need to play this game on the Valve Index?

• 1Like

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally got time to beat this. Wow.

Valve proves once again that they have balls and are one step ahead of everybody else. I'm so glad they didn't just opt to follow the tried path of a million bland sequels.

This one is a game changer for me, and I'm guessing it will be my GOTY.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users