Half-Life: Alyx

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kithani Kithani I was one of the original Kickstarters to Oculus so three of them came from that one Kickstarter.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Looks like movement was analog as they sat to play-- perhaps room scale is- roomscale / teleport - and stationary is analog stick movement... whynotbothmeme.gif

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have definitely pooped on myself a few times when a headcrab landed on me, having to shoot the fucker off me.

Also, the shotgun Laser is fucking cool, I hope they add that to more FPS games.

Last edited:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If only. According to his subs and views he can still make a good living just from youtube and donations

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He has just about 1500 on Patreon also. Probably $5 - $10k a month right there.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
"angry" joe is pretty cringe. there are DEFINITELY moments where it's deserved, but when he tones that down and is just a couple of friends playing games together, he's not that bad. honestly, one of the reasons i don't mind watching him do a review for a game i'm interested in is he tends to be more in depth on what he likes or dislikes. as far as "angry" goes... that's culturally almost required now. people aren't interested in "moderate" reviews.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah his shtick is thin and he usually misses really basic ass information but i tend to notice if he doesn't like a game or movie I probably won't. His two buddies alex and other joe are much more calm and informative. In this day and age when half of the reviewers talk about whether a game is TOO or NOT ENOUGH feminist, representative, blah blah blah its nice just to see 3 guys talk about whether stuff is fun or not.

i usually just skip ahead to his final reviews, all 3 of them really liked half life alyx but said it wasn't really worth buying a VR headset just for the game, just that its the best VR game so far.

Cybsled

Hard to justify spending $1000 on any game period. What they really need is more developers actually putting out AAA VR games, which is presumably what Valve is hoping for

• 1Seriously?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Hard to justify spending $1000 on any game period. What they really need is more developers actually putting out AAA VR games, which is presumably what Valve is hoping for

Not worth 1k for sure, however at 350 for the RIft S it's not a bad price and there are 10+ games out there to get into aside from this and most are only 29 bucks or less.

I really like the FPS games in VR.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seeing people on twitch constantly die while desperately trying to reload is legitimately hilarious.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Seeing people on twitch constantly die while desperately trying to reload is legitimately hilarious.
Haha, yes!

Watching streamers reload their weapon in Alyx is almost as funny as watching them try to dock their ships in Elite: Dangerous when that first came out, maybe more-so because some of them have clearly have no functional idea of how a gun loads.

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
Played this over the last 3 days using a Rift S and this is hands down the best game for VR right now. Problem is now I'm spoiled and don't want to play any other VR games because they just wont be as good. I played on a Rift S with a RTX2060 Super on ultra settings and the game ran flawless.

From a few of the reviews I've read it seems the Rift S is the most comfortable out of all the major headsets in this game but I'm not sure why. Even Joe said that the index looked better but they all got motion sickness from it but not on the Rift S.

If you have $350 bucks I would buy the Rift S over any of the other headsets due to the fact you don't need to have 4 or 5 satellites mounted around the room. You only have 1 wire coming out of the headset that splits into a display port/USB 3 and whatever headphones you plug into it. The stock speakers on the Rift S just aren't loud enough. All the cameras are mounted on the headset. Super easy setup. Played the entire game in a computer chair sitting or standing up right in front of it. You don't need a big play space to enjoy VR.

The Jeff level is an experience. One of the most memorable levels I've ever played in a game.

Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath are probably the only other 2 games I would highly recommend for VR and neither are quite as good as Half Life Alyx.

Also with the Rift headsets you can play 99% of the VR games on the Steam store while the Oculus store games need some work arounds to get running and not all of them work 100%.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Glad to hear that the game is generally well received. It's gonna be hard to avoid spoilers until I can get the equipment to play this!

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I'm still holding out hope that they make a non vr version of this game. I'll say I've generally had fun playing with my buddy's rift, but I don't think it's something I would do often enough to justify buying the hardware. This game is not enough to get me to buy in yet, either

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Apparently, Gaben said he thinks someone will mod the game so non-VR peeps can play it.

• 1Like