Ham vs Turkey

What do you prefer to eat for Christmas?

• Total voters

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I can't believe it took this long for someone to post the correct answer. The best thing we ever did as a family was switch from ham or turkey to prime rib on Christmas. There's no comparison.

I walked by the meat counter at the local grocery store yesterday and there were prime rib roasts sitting on every flat surface getting prepped so I think it's pretty popular around here.
Well shit! I'll have to remake the thread and add prime rib. It's good stuff no doubt!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I'm getting started on ours right now! If I could make em for the whole board I would. Everyone needs Christmas Tamales.
If I pay overnight shipping and cost to make will you ship me some?

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
My family always did pork and sauerkraut on New Year’s Day. I always thought that everyone ate that on New Years day but it’s probably very regional.
I knew a few families that did this although they were all Polish or Dutch. Italians do a big fish feast as well on Christmas I believe although might be Christmas Eve.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Turkey is crap meat. It's dry no matter what. People who say it isn't are deluded. I'll never cook a turkey again if I can help it.

We cook goose at Christmas. Sometimes duck, but goose is better. Ham is good, too.
Stick big ole chunks of butter up under the skin all around it. The meat underneath bastes in the butter while it cooks. Slap your wife around and teach her how to cook.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sevens

Log Wizard
I like Prime Rib for New Years. But usually I do a Beef Wellington for New Years. Or we do fondue, depending on people's mood.

What other holiday food traditions do you guys have? We always do scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and capers on home made english muffins and a light hollandaise for Christmas breakfast.
We always do Corned beef and cabbage...Not sure why its just something my family has always done.

Sevens

Log Wizard
As far as ham vs turkey...they are both awesome and we just let the host that year choose which to server (for Christmas, Thanksgiving is turkey no matter what)

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Question about the deep fried turkey... is it like fried chicken after? I'm guessing no gravy either.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
is it like fried chicken after?
Not generally. There's no breading. It's just like turkey pretty much, but it tends to stay moist and get nice crisp skin.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
You can't do stuffing inside a turkey if you fry it, right?
Well you CAN do whatever you want. This is America. But it won't cook right, ruin the stuffing and probably explode.

So make stuffing on the side if you're going to fry it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 users

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can't do stuffing inside a turkey if you fry it, right?
True, you have to do the stuffing on the side. You could make fried stuffing but that still wouldn't be done inside the bird.

Edit: You could also do like fried turkey tenders breaded with stuffing.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
True, you have to do the stuffing on the side. You could make fried stuffing but that still wouldn't be done inside the bird.

Edit: You could also do like fried turkey tenders breaded with stuffing.

Now fried stuffing is something I want to try. Never had that.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Now fried stuffing is something I want to try. Never had that.
The basic idea to it is leftover stuffing mix with mozzarella or some other cheese, egg, butter then mix and make into balls or whatever shape you like. Then egg wash and breadcrumbs. Fry it. You can obviously be a lot more creative but that is the general jist. You can use gravy to dip in or a cranberry based sauce/dip and so on.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
source.gif