Hardest Boss Fights (No MMO shit please)

Solariss

Golden Squire
I'm one of the few people I know that beat Tyson, quite gratifying... You seriously felt some major self accomplishment, like you took a big step forward in life.

Anyone remember that big brown boss in megaman 2 or 4 in dr wily's stage that looked like a giant brown rock? He would break off his body piece by piece and shoot to the other side of you, and you would have to dodge every piece. I think if you got hit once you died. I could never beat that mother fucker

Edit: may have been any of the fucking mega mans, can't find shit on it

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
This topic made think of one and only one boss fight. Nothing came close. It was old Gameboy game back in 1989 or 1990. It was Final Fantasy. I think. I don't remember if had like a title Final Fantasy somethingoranother. Anyways the last boss was WTF man. I remember it was basically God? After weeks of dying I loaded up with every consumable possible. I fought him for about 45 mins and fucking gave up for the last time. Anyone have a remote idea what game I am talking about? I never touched that game again so my description might be fuzzy.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Tyson wasnt bad once you could avoid his rush in the first around.

I still go back every now and again and play it to beat him, but it takes me a while to adjust its a bit harder now days as im 36 and not 13 with insane reactions. I've slowed down some, ok alot.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I honestly don't remember much from the really young days of gaming. Mike Tyson is a good call. So is Dr. Robotnik. I know games in general are easy as hell nowadays, but I remember these two causing a lot of frustration:

Now that I watch the Thardus video, I never thought of turning into a ball and hiding behind parts of the environment while he's rolling around as a ball. That would have made that fight much easier.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Hmm I can't remember them all, there's been so much. But there is one fight I remember that busted my balls hardcore. It was in Baldur's Gate 2, and there were many fights in that game which busted my balls, but there was this one big dragon... It took me literally about 15 attempts to finally win. I'm not sure if I was just being a spaz or if maybe I attempted it too early in the game or something, but it was really hard. But I was super determined.

In the end I only won because I did *everything* I possibly could to win. So my rogue I spent like 5 minutes before starting the fight just running around and placing every trap I could place. And then I cast every single buff all my characters could cast, and I popped any potions or wands or whatever else I had that might help. And then when the fight started, I would pause it literally every 1 second, and totally micro manage every movement. I debuffed the dragon with everything I had and then unloaded everything I had on it. Hell of a fight. I couldn't believe it when I finally won, it felt so good, and the mad loots made it even sweeter.

But that was the 90's. You just don't get stuff even close to that anymore. I played all the Mario and Sonic games as a kid, and they were really hard too. Gaming back then was amazing.
This. Mine was in Icewind Dale, but same exact thing. Don't even remember the boss but it def was a dragon in the snow, heh.

Syddin

Trakanon Raider
This topic made think of one and only one boss fight. Nothing came close. It was old Gameboy game back in 1989 or 1990. It was Final Fantasy. I think. I don't remember if had like a title Final Fantasy somethingoranother. Anyways the last boss was WTF man. I remember it was basically God? After weeks of dying I loaded up with every consumable possible. I fought him for about 45 mins and fucking gave up for the last time. Anyone have a remote idea what game I am talking about? I never touched that game again so my description might be fuzzy.
The Game was Final Fantasy Legend and that fight was ridiculous. He was "The Creator" and he basically sent the heros through all of the crap in the game to see if they could make it. It was a dick move and you got to kill him for it.

Flank_sl

shitlord
In europe we just had Punch Out (no tyson) and a character called Mr Dream was the boss. Fight looks the same. I know I sound a dick posting this but it was easy enough, you had a good 150 ms to react and dodge.

My pick would be Sagat on Street Fighter (the first one, not SF2), but I was very young when i played it.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
In europe we just had Punch Out (no tyson) and a character called Mr Dream was the boss. Fight looks the same. I know I sound a dick posting this but it was easy enough, you had a good 150 ms to react and dodge.
We have the same game here also. Tyson got edited out after going all rapey.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Well that makes for a less exciting story
frown.png
. I always though the other way was the case.

frown.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
With youtube and the Internet hard boss fights have become a lot rarer. Back in the old days you had to figure it all out yourself, but now you can hop on youtube and see exactly how someone else does it. It might not help your reflexes, but it makes puzzle/pattern parts of the fights way easier.

Of course only lazy bums do that.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Carnage in the SNES game Maximum Carnage. Fuck that guy. Had to cheat to finally beat him.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I know it's MMO shit, but fuck you, we were an Alliance guild and we killed Viscidus. And we were one of the first in the world to do so I think. Fuck all that boring ass spider farming for the mats for NR pots and whatever the item was the let you cleanse yourself.

scal_sl

shitlord
I don't think I've ever encountered a hard RPG boss. There's been a few medium-challenge RPG bosses, but for the most part - you have to be autistic or not paying attention to lose in 90% of the RPGs I've played. The only 2 hard RPGs coming to mind are FF1 on the NES (ONLY IF YOU PICKED AN ESPECIALLY SHITTY PARTY) and 7th Saga if you go the wrong route.

Anyhow, back on track.

Ikaruga level 4/5 boss.
Mr. Sandman and Mr. Dream in Punchout
The Yellow Devil in Megaman 1 (without cheating with electric+pause)
Mortal Kombat 2 - I remember Goro's dad before Tsang being brutal as a kid, not sure if that would still be the case.

There's been quite a few games that were so hard, I don't even remember getting to bosses. One or both of the Simpsons games apply here.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
the only bosses I remember not beating as a child were the optional weapons in FF7. I don't think I beat emerald or ruby, though I didn't exactly keep at it because they were indeed optional and I've always been kind of a linear player.