Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Yeah but there were very few Wiccan before JK Rowling spread her foul satanic propaganda and now they are fucking everywhere.

I can't walk down the street without seeing a witch nowadays.

It's just like the Satanism booms after D&D and MTG came out, there were human sacrifice corpses everywhere.
Ahhh, so just baseless trolling. Oki... my curiosity is no longer wet.

Some of us, Chris, live in the real world and experience people and see how things work in everyday society and always have reality to back up our worldviews.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ahhh, so just baseless trolling. Oki... my curiosity is no longer wet.

Some of us, Chris, live in the real world and experience people and see how things work in everyday society and always have reality to back up our worldviews.
Oh yeah, I'm not seeing all the witches because I don't live in the real world, of course.

I need to be reading the online clickbait to learn about the real world, not use my fucking eyes.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Oh yeah, I'm not seeing all the witches because I don't live in the real world, of course.

I need to be reading the online clickbait to learn about the real world, not use my fucking eyes.
To be fair, in the UK they are called druids.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Caliane

Never understood the fascination with Harry Potter. When the first book came out I was like 13 or something and I rather read LotR at that age.
And then later they were just teenager books. I watched the first movie out of curiosity and thought it was a fine movie for children. My gf wanted to watch the last 2 movies recently and they were fine aswell. But nothing to relate to as an adult.
You are weird fuckers.
i'm older. my teenage book reading days, were King, Barker, Tolkien, a few sword and sorcery stuff (oddly, not big names.), etc

but yeah, I never really understood the harry potter success. its so childish. I can respect the movies for how well made they are. special effects, direction, acting, etc. fantastic. what other fantasy movies have such quality? but the writing? ooph.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
i'm older. my teenage book reading days, were King, Barker, Tolkien, a few sword and sorcery stuff (oddly, not big names.), etc

but yeah, I never really understood the harry potter success. its so childish. I can respect the movies for how well made they are. special effects, direction, acting, etc. fantastic. what other fantasy movies have such quality? but the writing? ooph.

I'd argue the lackluster writing is probably related to its huge success, it was a lot more accessible to the plebs than other fantasy series. It got zillions of kids and people who never read anything to suddenly read 500-page books over a few days. They even named a medical condition after it, Hogwarts Headaches, because the dumbdumbs who never read anything longer than the back of the cereal box were suddenly overheating their brain trying to read big books.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I've heard about wiccans and witchcraft stuff my whole life. That's pre heavy metal and pre Harry Potter. It's hippy shit. Not kids into demons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Hell when i was 13, d & d made you devil worshippers.
well, when i was a kid, i came across a pamphlet explaining how all the devil shit started, written by one of those televangelists called Jacob Aranza
iu

they blamed Rock N Roll of course.

the Stones had an album cover called Satanic Majesties in 1967
iu

supposedly this was promoting devil worship.
then you had Beatles albums which supposedly have some backward messages(masking) on it. the backward messages were supposed to influence your subconscious, say to do drugs or worship Satan. i think Stairway To Heaven from Led Zeppelin also had these kinds of messages. this is all 60s and 70s when the "counterculture" was the thing. it was basically a bunch of hippies getting stoned and thinking they heard shit in the records that wasnt there. the hippies also thought the drugs they were taking gave them magical abilities. so what was the next step? performing witchcraft and trying to make magic shit happen.
thats how this chucklefuck became known.
iu

he formed a Satanic church in 1969. he would get a bunch of dumb stoner chicks to larp satanic rituals and and try to contact whatever. they would play with Ouija boards and writing planchettes trying to contact ghosts or Satan or whatever their drug addled brains could come up with. its what inspired movies like Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist or Race with The Devil or Devil's Rain. oh btw the Eagles also got roped into the devil music thing by that one line from Hotel California where they say "we havent had that spirit here since 1969" because that was the year the devil church was formed by that larping retard.

TLDR. all this shit came out long before we had stuff like D&D or 80s metal or Harry Potter or violent video games or graphic comic book violence or whatever scapegoat of the day. fucking hippies getting stoned and imagining shit while tripping balls is all this is..

• 2Like

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
well, when i was a kid, i came across a pamphlet explaining how all the devil shit started, written by one of those televangelists called Jacob Aranza
iu

iu

then you had Beatles albums which supposedly have some backward messages(masking) on it. the backward messages were supposed to influence your subconscious, say to do drugs or worship Satan. i think Stairway To Heaven from Led Zeppelin also had these kinds of messages. this is all 60s and 70s when the "counterculture" was the thing. it was basically a bunch of hippies getting stoned and thinking they heard shit in the records that wasnt there. the hippies also thought the drugs they were taking gave them magical abilities. so what was the next step? performing witchcraft and trying to make magic shit happen.
iu

he formed a Satanic church in 1969. he would get a bunch of dumb stoner chicks to larp satanic rituals and and try to contact whatever. they would play with Ouija boards and writing planchettes trying to contact ghosts or Satan or whatever their drug addled brains could come up with. its what inspired movies like Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist or Race with The Devil or Devil's Rain. oh btw the Eagles also got roped into the devil music thing by that one line from Hotel California where they say "we havent had that spirit here since 1969" because that was the year the devil church was formed by that larping retard.

TLDR. all this shit came out long before we had stuff like D&D or 80s metal or Harry Potter or violent video games or graphic comic book violence or whatever scapegoat of the day. fucking hippies getting stoned and imagining shit while tripping balls is all this is..
Anton LaVey was a "consultant" on The Devil's Rain. Pretty sure he briefly pops up in the background in the church scenes.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Anton LaVey was a "consultant" on The Devil's Rain. Pretty sure he briefly pops up in the background in the church scenes.
it was all a big joke. stoners with mom and dad's money grabbing munchies to watch this dumb shit made the movie companies bank.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
iu

iu

iu

He actually talked about the LARP aspect and said it was an important part of Satanism. Said making up rituals was part of it. Don't have the interview offhand, but he was a proud LARPer.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I stand by what I said, and I even embedded links backing up what I've said by a handful of different news organizations.

Harry Potter can be a harmless child's book about magic and it can ALSO be a gateway fantasy into some darker, depraved shit. Both of those things can be true. Just like D&D. The 80's conservatives weren't wrong, they just miscalculated the strength and reach it had.

But make no mistake that Wicca is on the rise in America and I know many wiccans personally. Harry Potter has had a small influence on this, I'm serious LoL.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He actually talked about the LARP aspect and said it was an important part of Satanism. Said making up rituals was part of it. Don't have the interview offhand, but he was a proud LARPer.
i would be too, it got him laid and it made him money and fame. all he had to do was trim his beard and wear a devil suit from the halloween store.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I stand by what I said, and I even embedded links backing up what I've said by a handful of different news organizations.

Harry Potter can be a harmless child's book about magic and it can ALSO be a gateway fantasy into some darker, depraved shit. Both of those things can be true. Just like D&D. The 80's conservatives weren't wrong, they just miscalculated the strength and reach it had.

But make no mistake that Wicca is on the rise in America and I know many wiccans personally. Harry Potter has had a small influence on this, I'm serious LoL.
its about as real as pet rocks and mood rings.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i would be too, it got him laid and it made him money and fame. all he had to do was trim his beard and wear a devil suit from the halloween store.

He had that 4th wall breaking smug look on his face in every interview as if to say "Im doing whatever gets my dick wet and it's working" when interviewers would try to hit em with some gotcha questions. Diane Hegarty was prime tail in her day.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf