HDTV's

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I was obsessively researching OLEDS a month ago and decided to wait a bit longer but what I dug out was that yes, LG is the way to go right now.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
do anyone has a guide or opinion regarding 4k TVs?
What is better to buy OLED Or LCD, Flat or curved, Samsung or whatever?

I'm basically looking for the best TV under 1k. It must have Wifi, and 3-4 HDMI ports, 3 at minimun.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I was obsessively researching OLEDS a month ago and decided to wait a bit longer but what I dug out was that yes, LG is the way to go right now.

LG is the only one that makes the panels anyway. So if you go with a Sony, it's still an LG panel.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Need to buy a new TV so gonna bite the bullet and go high end. 4k 65inch OLED. The contenders seem to be

LG Electronics OLED65C7P 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2017 Model)
vs Sony XBR65A1E 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart BRAVIA OLED TV (2017 Model)

Looking at some reviews it seems both are pretty even, but the Sony is 800$ more so the consensous seems to be go with the LG. Any reason the Sony would be worth the extra cheddar?

The name. The actual panel inside the display itself is from LG, which is comical. Sony doesn't make their own OLED yet, they outsource the LG panel itself and stamp their name on it.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Is it sad I'm still rocking (2) Panasonic plasmas (50G15 & 60GT50) and never want to change to the new TVs? I just cannot get over how the new generation of TVs look in terms of color (not talking "showroom" brightness & color blasting) and their motion-blur technology (even though it has gone through many, many iterations). I wish plasma TVs never went away... They have great picture, fantastic colors, absolutely no motion issues, and they keep my rooms warm during winter.

So funny you mention this. I picked up a TCL P605 for my Xbox X and while it's pretty nice I have to say the colors are still better on my ST50.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I really can't decide if OLED is worth the extra price tag at the moment because I have no idea if they are going to stay around that same price (because no other manufacturer jumps on the tech) or if they will fall dramatically (as other manufacturers release their own and competition widens).

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Other manufacturers are releasing their own already - but still have to use LG for the panels. Sony/Panny etc get the panels directly from LG as it's their tech. They'll come down in price eventually, but probably not significantly - and the difference between the OLED set and even the best LED set is significant. QLED is a complete gimmick and not worth the money. Occasionally though you'll see screaming deals on OLEDS - Frys and places like that every so often have 65" OLEDS for $2k and 55" for like $1.6k. I remember pay $2.5k years and years ago for a panasonic plasma and prior to the oled it was the best tv I'd ever owned.

Khane

So LG has a patent on it? I've had such terrible experiences with LG customer service that I swore I'd never buy another one of their products.

Khane

First sentence from the article:

"In a 'blind' shootout held by Philips"

EDIT: Ossoi I don't think you understand what that means. I really don't care what some article claims about how fair an event was, if it's hosted by a particular manufacturer and I am not there in person I am not going to trust it.

Philips Employee: "Yo guys! Do me a favor and say this was totally fair and unbiased and that Philips is the best and you'll all get free OLED TVs!"
AVForums Joe Schmoe: "Done"

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So LG has a patent on it? I've had such terrible experiences with LG customer service that I swore I'd never buy another one of their products.
From my understanding they have multiple patents on the technology, but not sure what and how they are using them. Again, I haven't looked at this in a while but my understanding is every tv manufacturer has to go through LG to get the panels, and Sony/Phillips repackages it with their infrastructure and interface.

Khane

So after a bit of digging it seems that Universal Display Corporation holds the patents to the technology used in OLED TVs. Samsung actually makes OLED TVs but only sells them in Korea and has decided to back the (now known to be) inferior Quantum Dot technology (QLED) in the TV space. LG has a long term licensing agreement to use the Technology and so does Samsung, along with some other companies, but LG is using it for TVs whereas Samsung seems to only want to use it for phones/tablets/other small displays. Seems to be an issue of cost effectiveness when trying to use the technology on larger screens.

Wiki on Universal Display Corporation:
Universal Display Corporation - Wikipedia

Snippet about Televisions from the wiki:

Consumer Reports says that OLED is the best display technology, as it combines the best features of plasmas and LCDs. They say that the emerging technology is "really going to shake up the television industry".

Samsung and LG-Display showed 55-inch OLED-Television devices at CES-2012. But both companies had to delay their mass production. Also AUO, Sony and Epson will start AMOLED-TV production in 2014.[28]

In June 2013 Samsung announced the Korean availability of a 55-inch curved OLED HDTV. Priced at 15 million Korean won (around $13,500). Samsung also reiterates the claim LG made when it launched its own curved OLED model that "keeping all parts of the screen an equal distance from the viewer makes for a better viewing experience."[29] By August 2013, Samsung dropped the price of the OLED television by 30% claiming "better yields" in manufacturing.

In September 2013 at the IFA electronics show, Samsung unveiled their 98-inch 4K AMOLED television.[30]

LG showcased an Ultra High Definition (UHD) curved 77inch screen at the IFA electronics show. This is a 4K WRGB OLEd screen.[31] In October 2014, LG reported that their Television sales has jumped 20x in volume shipments since 2013.[32]

CNET reviewed the LG 55EC9300 OLED Television in September 2014 and called it "The best. Picture. Ever." Combining the best qualities of LED and Plasma without the disadvantages.[33]

With the arrival of Quantum Dot LCD displays, LG released an article describing why they still see OLED as the future of Television displays: "In fact, OLED technology is the technology that is so much advanced that it should not be compared to an LCD based QD. Hence, even though LG already has the technology to create QD backlighting, it is focusing on developing OLED". LG expects OLED TVs to be price competitive with LCDs within one or two years.[34]

Consumer Reports, an American Magazine covering reviews of consumer products, published their review of OLED televisions saying that their TV project leader, Claudio Ciacci, would pick LG's OLED TV over every other TV model tested in 2014. "It has all the advantages of both LCD and Plasma Televisions without any of the weakness."[35]

In January 2015, LG Display signed a long term agreement with UDC for the supply of OLED materials and the right to use their patented OLED emitters. LG is the leader in the push for OLED Televisions.[36]

In 2017 LG revealed five new models of OLED TV's, the flagship model being as thin as 0.9mm.[37]

The bolded text is the most interesting bit.

I now wish I had done research on this in ~2010. Their stock has gone from ~$10/share to ~$185/share in that time. Mostly in just the last year, presumably because of the now mainstream use of the tech in TVs and other display devices. Though if the bolded portion of the text is to be believed it looks like that stock will climb even further as more and more companies adopt the tech and it becomes the defacto television/display tech.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
First sentence from the article:

"In a 'blind' shootout held by Philips"

EDIT: Ossoi I don't think you understand what that means. I really don't care what some article claims about how fair an event was, if it's hosted by a particular manufacturer and I am not there in person I am not going to trust it.

Philips Employee: "Yo guys! Do me a favor and say this was totally fair and unbiased and that Philips is the best and you'll all get free OLED TVs!"
AVForums Joe Schmoe: "Done"

Thanks for confirming you didn't read it

Khane

Well you go ahead and believe everything you read on community forums Ossoi. I'm sure that the guy who wrote the article can't be bought. Maybe he's got a bridge for sale too.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
posted in tech section but review seems like a better place

So LG OLED65B7A is 2300 for me at best buy. Is this the best bang for the buck right now in the $2k(ish) 65 inch range for this season? Been like 8 years since we've upgraded probably about time.

From reading both threads it seems like it's a no brainer.

Khane

@Amod Do we really need two HDTV threads? Shit gets confusing remembering which content was posted in which thread.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user