HDTV's

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Planning on upgrading my tv this time next year. Will be checking this thread for updates on price drops and general information. Will be looking for a 4k, 65 inches or bigger in the price range of about 2500-3000.

Nice to see everyone switching over to the new site.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I'm looking at doing the same thing, but this year... just wondering if I should wait for something new, or spring on the "best" of last years value models...

looking to pay $1500-2500, 60-70 inches

any thoughts?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Think I'm targeting a KS8000 from Samsung in mid-late August, the size depends on sales and wife faction. Picking up an Xbox One S next week for the HDR and UHD player goodness.

Bring on The Martian in 4k!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm glad this thread exists, I planned on buying this TV in the coming weeks from Target. Any thoughts on this model?

http://www.target.com/p/samsung-55-class-2160p-4k-120hz-smart-uhd-tv-black-55hu6840/-/A-17220013

I'm sticking with 55" so I don't have to buy a new wall mount. I've also been rocking a 40" from around 2006 so it's going to be a pretty crazy upgrade. I just want to get 120hz really, just figured I'd get 4k while I'm at it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6400

Overpriced. I see equivalent 55s on slickdeals all the time for $800 shipped or less. I recently purchased a Sony X810C for $800 and have zero complaints and so far love the built in android tv. Though at the same time Im also not a person who is super anal about IQ/colors etc(aka Im not the type of person to pay for "professional" calibration or spend hours on avsforum going over the right settings).

I would highly suggest going with a android tv. Setting up plex and kodi was as simple as downloading the apps from the playstore. Streamed 4k with plex with zero issues.

Hekotat

I'll have to look into it more then. I am not home in time to sign for a TV and have nowhere else to deliver it so I'm pretty much stuck with buying one at a store.

Hekotat

Damn you Big P, now I'm looking at shit out of my intended price range. I lay this directly at your feet.

I'm trying to decide between a Samsung KS8000 and a Sony X850D or their respective next step upgrades.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm looking at doing the same thing, but this year... just wondering if I should wait for something new, or spring on the "best" of last years value models...

looking to pay $1500-2500, 60-70 inches

any thoughts?

I'f you're willing to push your budget towards $2500, you'll be able to get 60-65" OLEDs at that price point. OLED is phenomenal. Looks like plasma with all the benefits of LED (light, thin, low power usage, etc)

LG 65" OLED Curved EG9600 Curved or EF9500 Smart 4K UHD $2296 Frys.com instore only 08-04-2016

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I'f you're willing to push your budget towards $2500, you'll be able to get 60-65" OLEDs at that price point. OLED is phenomenal. Looks like plasma with all the benefits of LED (light, thin, low power usage, etc)

LG 65" OLED Curved EG9600 Curved or EF9500 Smart 4K UHD $2296 Frys.com instore only 08-04-2016

thanks for the heads up. I was actually looking at the same two models that Hekotat mentioned right above your post. Looking to go 65". i've read lots of great things about the android TV os

as for your LG recommendation... I'm not sold on curved TVs. something about it just feels gimmicky and like i won't be happy in the long run. I've had my current TV (Samsung HL-S5688W) since like 2007, so I want to get something that will have legs.

any other recommendations at $2500 or less for OLED?

oh, and 'fuck you joeboo... i do it myself'

Hekotat

I upgraded to a Sony X850D 65" last night from a 11 year old 40" 720p plasma. Holy shit this thing is amazing! I know it's not the cream of the crop but the 120hz and size difference is crazy good, I'm still having troubles getting used to it.

The app stuff for this TV is awesome, I love being able to use Plex/Hulu/Amazon Video/etc. without having to use a Chromecast. I highly recommend the Android TV stuff.

Even Destiny looks like a completely new game.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hows input lag with the new Sony?
In the past they were the best screens out the if you wanted to pc-game on them.

Hekotat

So far I haven't been able to tell if there is any but I'm still trying to get used the the huge upgrade side of it, it's still mindblowing to me. I'm sure after a few more weeks I'll be able to see any downfalls if any.

The only issue I've seen so far was some sound lag, but I think it had to do with Destiny itself.

My only real complaint so far is how the remote control is labeled and the locations of some of the buttons. Like the "input" being so close to the "Sync" button. I also do not care for the design choice of the buttons themselves but that's just me nitpicking.

x850d-remote-large.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

I have the 9500 in 55", $2300 seems a ridiculous price for the 65".

Picture quality can be breathtaking but these sets really demand good quality sources. I download all my TV and poor quality 720p downloads can look awful, but a good 1080p encode or blu-ray rip can look awesome.

Be warned though, these sets can struggle in "near black" scenes. Biggest problem reported on avforums.com / avsforum.com was "banding" = faint grey vertical lines in "near black" scenes.

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Need some help! I bought the Samy 8550 back in 2014:

I'm kind of wtf right now because I'm reading that I can't hook this thing up to an xbone s for 4K, because I need the 2015 Evo box ($300) due to HDCP 2.2... Even more so that I need a 2.2 HDCP AVR to play sound. What is the point of buying a 4K tv if you need to upgrade in a year and upgrade your AVR? Is my Netflix even running 4K? Feel so scammed right now... Luckily I got this thing on Cyber Monday for a decent deal.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Is it sad I'm still rocking (2) Panasonic plasmas (50G15 & 60GT50) and never want to change to the new TVs? I just cannot get over how the new generation of TVs look in terms of color (not talking "showroom" brightness & color blasting) and their motion-blur technology (even though it has gone through many, many iterations). I wish plasma TVs never went away... They have great picture, fantastic colors, absolutely no motion issues, and they keep my rooms warm during winter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Is it sad I'm still rocking (2) Panasonic plasmas (50G15 & 60GT50) and never want to change to the new TVs? I just cannot get over how the new generation of TVs look in terms of color (not talking "showroom" brightness & color blasting) and their motion-blur technology (even though it has gone through many, many iterations). I wish plasma TVs never went away... They have great picture, fantastic colors, absolutely no motion issues, and they keep my rooms warm during winter.

I scrambled to get a Samsung F8500 as the stock dries up. It's amazing. And I have to suffer through so many more expensive TVs that are pure shit and make me wish I'd just stayed home.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
yeah this is a frustrating dilemma for me... as I mentioned above, I've got a 9 or 10 year old Samsung DLP TV, on its 3rd bulb, and it's getting dim again..

i'm ready to buy something new, and don't really mind sinking up to $2500, but it seems like the new technologies are too new and inconsistent to sink that kind of money and expect another 10 year lifespan.

i'm also rockin a Pioneer VSX 1019AH which I'm afraid is behind the times as well... so many upgrades... so much uncertainty!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My motto is to just accept the fact that TV tech is changing fairly rapidly, and whatever you buy today, you'll want to replace it in 5 years.

Spend $1000-$1500 now on a good LED, and then plan on spending that much again in 5 years on whatever is good then (8K OLED?, who knows?)

I think spending upwards of 2-3 grand right now is a bit of a waste of money, as rapidly as current tech prices drop, and new tech arrives.

But then again, I feel the same way about gaming PCs that I build. I'd rather spend less and replace more often than spend a fortune in the hopes that it can last a few extra years.