HDTVs

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Does she have internet, or no?
Yes, she has Gig Fiber so streaming is an option here. Just trying to be as cost conscious as possible since she's retired and on a fixed income. (Which is why I'm looking for a way to get rid of the stupidly expensive DirectTV) I had heard some of the "Roku TVs" could integrate with a guide for over the air antenna action, but have been unable to confirm.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yes, she has Gig Fiber so streaming is an option here. Just trying to be as cost conscious as possible since she's retired and on a fixed income. (Which is why I'm looking for a way to get rid of the stupidly expensive DirectTV) I had heard some of the "Roku TVs" could integrate with a guide for over the air antenna action, but have been unable to confirm.

I've had a TCL in the past and the Roku software on them is pretty easy to use and the remote is pretty damn simple. They're very solid bang for the buck TVs overall.

iu

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xerge

<Donor>
Can't go wrong with an Amazon Fire TV for someone like the moms. I also prefer the fire TV user exp. over Roku.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just set up an HD antenna for my aunt and uncle and I'm pretty sure their old Panasonic LCD was able to display a guide. It might just be worth checking out reviews of whatever antenna you end up with to see.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Check to see if the local ISP in her area has an Elderly package for internet. Then get her setup with Biden's inflationary increase package or w/e its called that saves 30 bucks on internet. We have 150 MB/S internet for my Great Grandmother and she pays $15 bucks a month for example. Also, check to see if they have something like Flexcast (Comcast) which is usually free.

We share all our streaming services with our GGma. So she can just watch w/e she wants because she has it all. She doesnt need a big internet package cause she cant see the difference between 1080 and 4k. The 150 mb/s package she has is more than enough. Her 65" Vizio from Walmart was like $380 when my parents bought it and they set up a Digital Antenna for her, too. She has about 5 local channels (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS) and the vizio makes switching to them not that big of a pain in the ass.

If she has an older TV and you just decide to keep it, you might could do this - I have my Garage's TV setup with OTA stuff and all I had to do was delete/block all the channels that didnt work - and now you can just hit channel up/down between a whopping 6 channels in my area and never see anything else. Though Im unsure if the TV or the Antenna thats hooked up to it is the one thats displaying the channel name and whats on that station.

If you end up finding something that works for you, let us know. Thats an interesting, yet.. very telling of our age.. question.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I've had a TCL in the past and the Roku software on them is pretty easy to use and the remote is pretty damn simple. They're very solid bang for the buck TVs overall.

iu

Just put up my 85" TCL 655 this weekend. So far it's amazing. I know TV purists might scowl at using all the frame/pixel smoothing options, but I love watching TV shows at 60 FPS with 0 motion blur. So goddamn smooth. Such a huge upgrade from my little 5 year old 65", which I bought around the last time a God of War game came out, and here we are again...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I hate that smoothing shit, makes everything look like soap opera. Fuck that shit lol Maybe in games? sure, but TV and movies? Hard pass. Gratz on the 85" baller TV.

I remember just like 10 yrs ago passing and audio and video place by our favorite lunch China food place, they had a 85" LCD at that time and it was like $20,000... We were all staring and dreaming at this thing in front of us. How far we have gotten in a decade with TV, lol.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I know TV purists might scowl at using all the frame/pixel smoothing options, but I love watching TV shows at 60 FPS with 0 motion blur. So goddamn smooth.

I was just looking at the asshat brackets and thinking who could be a strong contender. I saw you and sympathised because clearly you will get a lot of votes for having different political opinions to most of the FOH big brains. I thought that was unfair

After seeing the above post I'd just like to say "fuck you, I would crown you asshat right now if I could"

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Question for those who have CX/C1/C2... I have comcast for cable and can stream stuff via the app available to download on the TV, Xfinity Stream. Quality is acceptable.

My dad has a 4K fire stick, same TV as me (C1) and when he streams via the app through his fire stick instead of the app on the TV, I swear the quality looks better like its trying to upscale to 4K even if its not available. Is this a real thing or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Also on the topic of 4K I still can't believe that the only channels that have it are Fox (college football and World Series only) and like 1 in 100 college basketball games on ESPN.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
TCL. So easy my mother in law can operate it. You don’t know her and I don’t know your mom but trust me, your mom is leagues ahead of her.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is there a decent remote that works for current gen Fire Stick without Alexa/voice built in?

Too many are made specifically for FireTV and red X compatibility with the stick.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I was just looking at the asshat brackets and thinking who could be a strong contender. I saw you and sympathised because clearly you will get a lot of votes for having different political opinions to most of the FOH big brains. I thought that was unfair

After seeing the above post I'd just like to say "fuck you, I would crown you asshat right now if I could"

You like low frame rates? Go back to consoles, peasant.

Ok after a week with it, I admit that the Soap Opera Smoothing(tm) does indeed make movies look like ass. But I leave it on for some TV shows.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Where are we in the TV cycle? Got a bit of a windfall and may be able to upgrade our living room from the current 65” Samsung UN75KS8000 which is a 2016 model (64.5" Samsung UN65KS8000 - Specifications)

Was considering a 75” Samsung QN90B since it is about $2400. Primarily because it is high on Rtings and I have a Q900 sound bar. The 77” C2 is $2500. I’ve always been kind of a Samsung fanboy with TVs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Where are we in the TV cycle? Got a bit of a windfall and may be able to upgrade our living room from the current 65” Samsung UN75KS8000 which is a 2016 model (64.5" Samsung UN65KS8000 - Specifications)

Was considering a 75” Samsung QN90B since it is about $2400. Primarily because it is high on Rtings and I have a Q900 sound bar. The 77” C2 is $2500. I’ve always been kind of a Samsung fanboy with TVs.
is there an added benefit pairing samsung to samsung?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
is there an added benefit pairing samsung to samsung?
It was late so I didn’t check all the specifics. I actually use Samsung SmartThings hub on my phone so it would tie in to that. Pairing the Q900 sound bar with the QN90B let’s it is Q Symphony which just sounds like a fancy marketing word for letting the TV audio be a “center” channel. There may be a more cost effective Samsung 75” if I really want to keep it in the same family.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It was late so I didn’t check all the specifics. I actually use Samsung SmartThings hub on my phone so it would tie in to that. Pairing the Q900 sound bar with the QN90B let’s it is Q Symphony which just sounds like a fancy marketing word for letting the TV audio be a “center” channel. There may be a more cost effective Samsung 75” if I really want to keep it in the same family.
oh cool, i'll keep that in mind for future upgrade, i also have a samsung atmos soundbar, it already sounds pretty good, but more speakers can always be better

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I was a Samsung fanboy too until I bought an LG OLED. I'll never go back.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users