HDTVs

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
oh cool, i'll keep that in mind for future upgrade, i also have a samsung atmos soundbar, it already sounds pretty good, but more speakers can always be better

If you cared about sound you wouldn't use a sound bar, or using the tv speakers as a dedicated channel

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can anyone explain the logic behind ARC / eARC? If I'm understanding things, it seems your receiver and tv both have to support it, but why? You'll be connecting your console to the receiver via HDMI, then connecting to the tv via the receivers hdmi arc/earc out... which is the connection that doesn't make sense. I am assuming that the receiver will split the Audio / Video signal AT the receiver, so the tv wouldn't need to do anything since it should just be getting a video signal, right? You don't need to tell the console that it has to send out an "ARC/eARC" signal, right?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Can anyone explain the logic behind ARC / eARC? If I'm understanding things, it seems your receiver and tv both have to support it, but why? You'll be connecting your console to the receiver via HDMI, then connecting to the tv via the receivers hdmi arc/earc out... which is the connection that doesn't make sense. I am assuming that the receiver will split the Audio / Video signal AT the receiver, so the tv wouldn't need to do anything since it should just be getting a video signal, right? You don't need to tell the console that it has to send out an "ARC/eARC" signal, right?

I don't have a console and it's been a year since I upgraded my AVR, but from memory. The Netflix app on my TV could only send vanilla Dolby Digital to my AVR. The new AVR (or maybe the addition of a google chromecast plugged into AVR) gives me full Atmos Dolby Digital on Netflix.

ARC replaces a separate optical cable.
eARC is a higher bandwidth version of ARC

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't have a console and it's been a year since I upgraded my AVR, but from memory. The Netflix app on my TV could only send vanilla Dolby Digital to my AVR. The new AVR (or maybe the addition of a google chromecast plugged into AVR) gives me full Atmos Dolby Digital on Netflix.

ARC replaces a separate optical cable.
eARC is a higher bandwidth version of ARC
Yea, I understand that part of ARC / eARC, I'm just not seeing the purpose of having an ARC / eARC port (input) on the TV since the audio system would split it off from the signal. Your case seems a bit different than what I would be doing here though. How are you connections laid out? Does your TV have an hdmi output?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I wish they made a 75” in that.

It is hard to decide what to move to. Part of my wants it to be new and bigger! So go 75! But the S90 May objectively and subjectively look better.

One key for us is the living room is relatively bright with a full wall of windows facing the TV and the majority of our TV watching being in the daytime with a 5 year old. That may put the QN over the edge for me. But that sacrifices quality with brightness, so the whole thing will probably look like a demo mode TV on the floor of Sears.

Not like the 5 year old will care about picture quality of Bluey. Or my wife cares either way. If I can’t have good sound at least I could have good picture quality. But I also want larger!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Never buy the first year of new tech, applies to Samsung QD OLEDs especially if you use the TV as a monitor. Everything could be fixed, proper, and improved by the 2nd year model and it's in a competitive price market already.

Daidraco

I wish they made a 75” in that.

It is hard to decide what to move to. Part of my wants it to be new and bigger! So go 75! But the S90 May objectively and subjectively look better.

One key for us is the living room is relatively bright with a full wall of windows facing the TV and the majority of our TV watching being in the daytime with a 5 year old. That may put the QN over the edge for me. But that sacrifices quality with brightness, so the whole thing will probably look like a demo mode TV on the floor of Sears.

Not like the 5 year old will care about picture quality of Bluey. Or my wife cares either way. If I can’t have good sound at least I could have good picture quality. But I also want larger!
Our media room has the windows problem. The Alexa blackout blinds is what we put money aside for and they do a phenomenal job. (Nevermind that we ended up never using that room and spend 90% of our time at home on our PC setup.)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

"Tone Cole
14 minutes ago
I’ve had this TV for about 3 months now and I love the picture quality. I have no stake in the reference color or brightness debate BUT if I could go back and choose another television I would. The user experience is GOD AWFUL. Anyone out there considering this OLED over another should know that the ads on the home screen and sluggish menu are by far the worse thing about this product. I had to watch a YouTube video to figure out how to change the input. It has the most unresponsive remote I have ever used. It was miserable to live with this thing before getting an Apple TV. "

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

I have never used the remote that comes with a Samsung TV aside from initial setup, always got a generic non-Smart one and used that. You can also turn on HDMI-CEC and it works for Fire Stick controls too. Never ever connected the TV to the internet either, best to use a thumb drive for firmware updates.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
TCL. So easy my mother in law can operate it. You don’t know her and I don’t know your mom but trust me, your mom is leagues ahead of her.
OK, I ended up going this direction. Got the 43" for her, Google TV version. With an OTA antenna. (splurged on a $30 one which is powered).

Gets every channel she could ever want. I was able to "favorite" her bit 6 channel (local channels plus ION TV) and POOF she has a menu showing just those. I'm firmly in your camp now on this being "the way".

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone wanna buy my 55" LG C1? I've had it for like 6 months. It's a BIT too big for my tastes.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Getting my mother a new TV since hers old one kind of is shitting out. What's a good 40ish inch TV that is semi smart for old people who are simply awful with technology.

Thought about getting one of these 43" Amazon fire tvs but don't know if they are a decent purchase or not.

Daidraco

Getting my mother a new TV since hers old one kind of is shitting out. What's a good 40ish inch TV that is semi smart for old people who are simply awful with technology.

Thought about getting one of these 43" Amazon fire tvs but don't know if they are a decent purchase or not.

Costco TCL. Roku interface easy to use.
What Oblio is saying is pretty spot on for old people. Never mind that you can get a larger size for roughly the same price as that 43" Fire. You can get them at other places if you dont have Costco and they'll price match.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What Oblio is saying is pretty spot on for old people. Never mind that you can get a larger size for roughly the same price as that 43" Fire. You can get them at other places if you dont have Costco and they'll price match.
hisense also has roku integration/ remote as well then