HDTVs

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bought a LG C2 (42") today, along with a basic Denon AVR and an ultra high speed hdmi cable rated for 48gbps. The cable box has an interesting sentence in regards to how to use it:
"For proper noice dissipation and maximum performance, please have the plugs arrows pointing to the TV, or Source towards the A/V reciever."

I'll be using this cord to connect either the PS5 to the AVR, or the AVR to the C2 (I'm assuming the hdmi cable that came with the Ps5 is rated for 4k 120hz..). So to connect the AVR to the C2, I would want one arrow point out from the AVR and the other arrow point into the C2, right?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
85" QN90B coming in a few weeks. Was all the way down to $1900 via AAA/EDU on Samsung's site + a couple different cash back offers via Rakuten and Paypal.

Tempted to be a little bitch and just cover the wall behind the TV w/ acoustic panels and use them to hide wires instead of putting them in the walls.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Got the QN90B setup. Got this damn artifact in the upper corner 100% of the time, across multiple inputs, etc. Ugh. Samsung support will be in touch in the next day or two to come diagnose/fix.

1676428523531.png

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
When we were putting it up that section is covered by a solid plastic barrier that you peel off (in addition to the normal plastic over the screen), I couldn't have put a thumprint on it if I tried, and we were super careful putting it up to not put any pressure on the screen.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Following up. Tech came out to take a look and left after maybe 5 minutes, said I needed a new panel and the office would be in touch. Got a text a few days later saying there was no ETA and they'd let us know when they can reschedule the appointment.

Today Samsung called and said they just have to replace the TV (with a new unit, not a refurb). They explained delivery guys are responsible for packing and taking the old TV, which was my biggest concern really.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Got the QN90B setup. Got this damn artifact in the upper corner 100% of the time, across multiple inputs, etc. Ugh. Samsung support will be in touch in the next day or two to come diagnose/fix.

View attachment 458809
That looks more like tape or glue in the wrong place than an artifact lol. Probably excess glue on the backside of the panel that can't be removed easily.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I took a cloth and applied pressure to it and you can see it kinda clear up and match the surrounding pixels w/ the resulting distortion while the pressure remains applied. If you move that pressure up/down the side of the panel you can make out some inconsistency around the edges of it, like something's broken, or like you said there's something behind the backlight or whatever creating an uneven surface for the panel internals, resulting in the artifact.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So my family called me and had a question about their LED smart tv.

they’re having an issue where letters are difficult to see during a broadcast

they also recently eliminated their cable box and are running the coaxial cable directly to the TV

is it impossible to get HD broadcasts without a cable box? That was my initial thought.

I live three states away so I can’t see this for myself, I’m only going off of what I was told.

TV in question is 32 inches for the living room and I believe only sits about 10-15 feet away from sofas and chairs. Last time I visited, when they still had a cable box, I didn’t have any issue seeing the text or captions and this is a relatively new phenomenon

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Resolution/aspect ratio probably messed up from switching inputs.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like 10 feet for 32 inches is pretty far. Especially considering people use 32 inch monitors at 1.5 feet

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So my family called me and had a question about their LED smart tv.

they’re having an issue where letters are difficult to see during a broadcast

they also recently eliminated their cable box and are running the coaxial cable directly to the TV

is it impossible to get HD broadcasts without a cable box? That was my initial thought.

I live three states away so I can’t see this for myself, I’m only going off of what I was told.

TV in question is 32 inches for the living room and I believe only sits about 10-15 feet away from sofas and chairs. Last time I visited, when they still had a cable box, I didn’t have any issue seeing the text or captions and this is a relatively new phenomenon
My old room (which is now a guest room) at my parents has a TV thats hooked right up to the Coaxial Cable. I rarely stay the night, but when I do - I have to do a new channel scan each time. It pulls up the HD and the Standard channels - so you can get them from the Coaxial. The TV in there is a 60" Samsung Plasma Flat Screen from ~2010. I would imagine that an LED TV would be more advanced than that. But like slippery slippery said - that distance for that size seems terrible.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
theyre probably using a hd antenna

and set it up wrong? you have to plug in the coax from the antenna and hit scan/search to save the channels into memory

you can get up to 1080i on hd antenna, they probably got the 480i/p signal and text is just funky.

point the antenna properly

indoor antennas work just fine.

Daidraco

So I took the build I did for my brother over to his house this past weekend. We got it all plugged up and he was over the moon about it. Loved all the stupid fucking LED bullshit I have to give a Red/Black theme. But I couldnt for the life of me figure out why it wouldnt get above 60 FPS in the games we tried. I didnt have the time to fuck with it and told him I would get back to him about it. (Build came up to $3633 with a 4090 for reference.)

As Im sitting here, it dawned on me that he's using a fucking 60hz television to play games. He bought the TV the same time I bought mine for my bedroom cause I thought it was a good deal so I know its exact stats. No idea why I didnt think of it when I was there, much less when I was building the fucking thing.

Anyways - I see some 65" 120 Hz TV's that are around $600-800 bucks. But for that size of TV (65" is what fits in his custom entertainment center) - does anyone know a better option to really take advantage of the PC, staying around that same price range? I already know he's going to hem and haw about spending 600 bucks. The last thing I want to do is tell him he needs to spend another 2k. Any ideas Lanx Lanx ?

• 1Picard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I took the build I did for my brother over to his house this past weekend. We got it all plugged up and he was over the moon about it. Loved all the stupid fucking LED bullshit I have to give a Red/Black theme. But I couldnt for the life of me figure out why it wouldnt get above 60 FPS in the games we tried. I didnt have the time to fuck with it and told him I would get back to him about it. (Build came up to $3633 with a 4090 for reference.)

As Im sitting here, it dawned on me that he's using a fucking 60hz television to play games. He bought the TV the same time I bought mine for my bedroom cause I thought it was a good deal so I know its exact stats. No idea why I didnt think of it when I was there, much less when I was building the fucking thing.

Anyways - I see some 65" 120 Hz TV's that are around $600-800 bucks. But for that size of TV (65" is what fits in his custom entertainment center) - does anyone know a better option to really take advantage of the PC, staying around that same price range? I already know he's going to hem and haw about spending 600 bucks. The last thing I want to do is tell him he needs to spend another 2k. Any ideas Lanx Lanx ?
just tell him he's donating extra fps to console plebs

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
does anyone know a better option to really take advantage of the PC, staying around that same price range?
1681014009177.png

Hisense A6

*edit* LOL @ $4k computer and $600 TV as monitor.

Daidraco

View attachment 468175

Hisense A6

*edit* LOL @ $4k computer and $600 TV as monitor.
I looked over stuff like that but it was all out of his price range. Which was why I was asking for help...

I ended up showing him my setup and the difference between the refresh rate. He wasnt as bummed about it as I thought he would be and understood, but his price range was exactly where I thought it would be. We found this at a pawn shop a few hours away for $899 and took off to get that. Checked out the serial numbers and all went well. TV is guaranteed to be stolen, but we didnt need an ID, obviously, so "oh well."

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure my kid watching old 4/3 cartoons with the black side bars ruined our lg oled. Colors in the middle are completely fucked up - was about 7-8 years old so probably nearing end of life anyways. Doing some research i'm pretty sure I had a version that had a bug with the pixel refresh so that it never ran. I've manually done it multiple times now but it doesn't help.

Anyone know, if I get a new oled will the old 4/3 ruin it quick or did I just hit an end of life for the pixals anyways? I actually need two tvs, A lower-mid range 55 inch for the guest house and an upper mid range 65 inch for us. Probably stick with LG since I'm familiar with the UI.

Oh and what are your guys experience just having them shipped vs picking em up?