HDTVs

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I think Aaron's carries the 73 and maybe the 82 but you're talking about paying like over $4k for a $1.5k tv. Probably a bad idea.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Btw, for reference here's a shot taken sitting in my recliner with the camera right at my face:

bNYb1.jpg

As you can see, that 42 inch TV is pretty damned small for how far away I am. Also here's another shot I took a while back with a border around on how big it would look as a 65 inch:

nKVn7.jpg

I'd really like to go as big as I can, but not dealing with DLP and Projector bulbs seems to leave me at 65 inch Plasmas or 70 inch LCDs. I think my option then would be either a super high quality Panasonic or a big Vizio.

bNYb1.jpg

bNYb1.jpg

nKVn7.jpg

nKVn7.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I had a DLP and I liked it, but I doubt I'd ever go back for various reasons. I actually never had a lamp go out (even though I bought a spare...go figure), but the entire "light cartridge" I think it was called did. Fortunately it was under warranty. Then the power supply went bad. Then, after the warranty was out it started randomly overheating and shutting down. To get anyone to look at that kind of stuff is just prohibitively expensive nowadays. I don't know what plasma/LCD repair is like yet, but I doubt they have to bring out several giant hunks of metal (light cartridge, power supply, etc.) to troubleshoot the problem.

Aside from that, from your setup there, you'd have to buy a different stand to make a DLP work in that space unless that one is significantly bigger than it appears in the picture. So that's another hundred bucks or more, depending upon how nice of a stand you want. It's also going to stick out into the room more due to the depth of the TV itself, although it does seem you have room for that. Anyone sitting on your couch won't have the greatest viewing angle either, but I don't know if that is a big concern for you.

If you can save up for a bigger plasma I would go that direction, honestly. Or make do with something a little smaller than 70 inches, which gets you up into much bigger dollar amounts. I know the math says bigger, but if you could make do with a 60" plasma you'd save a TON of money over a 70" anything. And it would probably be such an improvement over what you have that you'd be fine with the size. But only you can really decide that.

Erie_sl

shitlord
The flag kinda freaks me out... I'd get rid of it if I were you. :p Everything else is fine, though I hate how expensive speaker stands are right now. /drunken rant

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The flag kinda freaks me out... I'd get rid of it if I were you. :p
Well that, and the framed picture of some anime chick. Screams serious creeper. Is going to impact your ability to (legally)bed a chick by like 75% at least once you get her back to your place.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
That's all video game stuff. I love my game collectibles. If someone doesn't like it, tough shit.
Do you bro.

I would say 65" might be a tad overkill. I sit a little further back than you, and went from 42" plasma tohttp://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...dp_ob_title_ce55".

The difference is significant, and I didn't pay out the ass for it. Agreed with everything said about plasmas as well - I've yet to see an LED/LCD look better than either of my plasmas. Watching the 42" even in bed now makes the tv seem small after hanging out in the living room. 65"... I can't even fathom that in a room the size of my living room (13' X 18')

Sean_sl

shitlord
Well, according to all the viewing distance stuff I should have a 92-116 inch screen for optimal viewing angles with 13 feet between me and the TV screen. I don't think 65 would be overkill.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I sit about the same amount back, and 106" is pretty damn near perfect. Could be a foot or two bigger or smaller without making much difference, although obviously bigger would be better. Kind of wish I'd gone 120", but no sense spending a grand or two on a new screen and the better part of a weekend setting it up. At that distance playing PC games at 1080p, text can be pretty difficult to read even with near perfect vision. Not sure if going up to 120" would make much difference in that regard.

You need a pretty bright projector if you don't have really good light control though. My PT-AE2000U is borderline brightness wise unless it's dark outside, as my blinds kind of suck. Fucking panel is going on it though, blotches everywhere. Second projector in a row where the LCD panel has shat out after a couple bulbs, so around 4000-5000 hours. This one is Panasonic, previous was Hitachi.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Don't spend 3 grand on a 92" rear-projection DLP(they look like shit compared to LED/Plasma), and don't get a projector if your TV is on 6+ hours a day, it'll cost you a fortune in bulbs over the next few years.

Get a 65" Plasma and call it good if you need something huge. You'll be buying a new TV in less than 5 years anyways, as cheap and as big as LED/LCDs are getting, not to mention whatever the new technology is around the corner(4K reso?) that you'll want in the next 5 years.

Personally, I'll never spend more than maybe $1500 on a TV, as quick as technology moves forward. I spent $3500 on a 56" Rear-projection HDTV in 2000, used it for 10 years because I spent so damn much on it that I felt like I didn't want to get rid of it while it was still working. I'm kicking myself that I didn't move on to Plasma/LCD sooner. My LG Plasma is such a better picture and with better viewing angles.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm really not worried about 4k*2k being "the next big thing" as it's pretty much Snake Oil due to visual acuity and what we can actually process at regular TV viewing distances.

You guys have really gotten me psyched on the Panasonic Plasmas. From reading up on them it seems the black levels on them are pretty amazing. The Phillips LCD I have now is pretty bad for really dark scenes (beggars can't really be choosers and my dad got it for me when I moved into my new place about 5 years ago and couldn't move my HUGE CRT).

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm really not worried about 4k*2k being "the next big thing" as it's pretty much Snake Oil due to visual acuity and what we can actually process at regular TV viewing distances.

You guys have really gotten me psyched on the Panasonic Plasmas. From reading up on them it seems the black levels on them are pretty amazing. The Phillips LCD I have now is pretty bad for really dark scenes (beggars can't really be choosers and my dad got it for me when I moved into my new place about 5 years ago and couldn't move my HUGE CRT).
The best thing about the panny's is they are SUPER easy to set the colors on (like a professional installer would do). Difference is night and day after the levels are set correctly than right out of box. I've never seen a tv look as good as both of my panny's. Literally. I'm sure Samsung/LG are just as good, but perhaps the colors were off.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
for calibration goto a site like avsforum.com

goto the forums for the type of display you have

plasma, lcd, led-lcd, projectors, etc

once you are in the forum, just search for your make/model and someone will have -a stock professional calibration setup, and you just tweak some from there.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
The cnet guys also have settings on their forums. I used their 50" settings for my 60" (same model), and it looks fantastic

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
Question for the guys/gals that own a plasma. I'm looking to grab a Panasonic P50ST50 and have heard great reviews with picture quality and overall how fantastic this set is, but what I'm concerned about is image retention and gaming. A lot of games now have some form of fixed HUD which I obviously do not want to get burned into the screen. Is a plasma television a bad choice for my usage of a TV -- primarily video games with some Netflix and moves tossed in?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Question for the guys/gals that own a plasma. I'm looking to grab a Panasonic P50ST50 and have heard great reviews with picture quality and overall how fantastic this set is, but what I'm concerned about is image retention and gaming. A lot of games now have some form of fixed HUD which I obviously do not want to get burned into the screen. Is a plasma television a bad choice for my usage of a TV -- primarily video games with some Netflix and moves tossed in?
My wife and I use our Panasonic plasma for gaming quite often, and we haven't caused any damage to the thing after years of playing games with HUDs and whatnot for hours and hours at a time. I mean, I wouldn't leave the thing on for days with a fixed HUD, but hours is definitely not an issue.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had a LG Plasma for a year and a half or so now, and no issues with burn-in/retention. About the worst I've seen is when I leave ESPN just running all day long during college football or basketball season, with the damn ESPN scroll along the bottom with a never-changing ESPN logo. It'll sit there all day (8+ hours) and while you can see it a bit when you finally change the channel, it fades away in maybe 5 minutes of displaying something else.

No issues with gaming at all either, it's seen plenty of use from my 360

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Good question. I have never encountered anyone in real life or on the internet that actually owns and uses a 3D TV at home.